Rules/Methods for buying a gun from individual?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    ben -

I personally carry everywhere I legally can. So the fact that I'm carrying has nothing to do with buying or not. I think that's BillyBob's point as well.

As for the OP - I've bought and sold with a number of people on INGO - not once have I had a problem. Make the deal in advance, pending inspection. Then the negotiation part is over. If the item's not as stated (NEVER happened to me - but in case...) then do the deal or don't do it, as you wish.

One of the reasons that I believe that most folks here are solid is that they value their reputation around here. I know I do.

Meet in a public place, but do any inspection as privately as you can arrange. Inside a car, etc. That way, nobody gets all alarmed. Granted, they never _should_. But discretion is smarter. No problemo.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've never bought/sold a gun from a private party, but this would seem like a good time to take a friend. I think I'd have a friend just stand away from the transaction and silently observe. Of course, given this modern age, would anyone think it out-of-line to have the friend make a video recording of the meeting using a smartphone or other video recording device?

Having your friend stand by with a video camera/smart phone/device and recording sounds kind of creepy. You should make it known up front that the transaction will be video recorded. I don't think that most normal people don't want to end up on the internet. If you really feel you need that kind of "insurance," just drop $20 at your local FFL to do a transfer.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Make the deal in advance, pending inspection. Then the negotiation part is over. If the item's not as stated (NEVER happened to me - but in case...) then do the deal or don't do it, as you wish.

^^ agreed. Hammer out the details (pending inspection) before you meet up. No one wants a surprise, and no one wants their time wasted. I've only ever had one instance where the item wasn't as depicted, and that was the only time I ever had an uneasy feeling about a fellow.

Most people are pretty nice, and some of them will talk your ear off about guns and stuff if you let them.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just emphasizing the wisdom of taking a friend you can count on since inspecting a firearm requires a certain amount of attention that makes it difficult to maintain situational awareness.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I frequently meet for Private FTF sales / trades at my local Gander Mountain parking lot. Bought and traded more guns in their parking lot than from inside the store.

Haha sounds like me, I use gander mountain on the south side for deals on that side of town and an office park with food chains/stores in it on the north side

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I don't see any harm in bringing a friend. I have done this with one of my buddies. We always meet in a well traveled, public place. As others have said, INGO buyer/seller is better than armslist buyer/seller in my opinion. If I don't know someone I will check their profile here, their Facebook and LinkedIn account. I want to know as much as possible. I like to do a simple bill of sale with our names, cities and gun serial number. Just to be on the safe side.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Lot of good information here. I would only add - SHOW UP ON TIME. It should go without saying, but I recently sat in a parking lot for 25 minutes waiting for someone to show up....:xmad:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I don't see any harm in bringing a friend. I have done this with one of my buddies. We always meet in a well traveled, public place. As others have said, INGO buyer/seller is better than armslist buyer/seller in my opinion. If I don't know someone I will check their profile here, their Facebook and LinkedIn account. I want to know as much as possible. I like to do a simple bill of sale with our names, cities and gun serial number. Just to be on the safe side.

Online profiles are generally useless. If they have sold here before, check the ratings they have received.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    What i do when i buy or sell to an individual is I show my id and carry permit and ask that they do the same, then its time for cash and gun to exchange hands. I usually shake hands after and we part ways. Fast food places are decent to meet at since u can get food while u wait, heh.

Top Bottom