• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    You don't have to agree with what I consider a safe direction, you may restrict your options much further than I do. We are each responsible for anything we send that direction. You can drive around with a bucket of sand in your car to aim at if it makes you more comfortable to do so.

Shoot, fire, pull the trigger, these are synonyms in this context. You can do them with or without a cartridge in the gun. You can do it with a dummy or proving cartridge if you like. If I have it pointed in a safe direction, I am actually ready for it to SHOOT, I've simply taken steps to prevent it sending a bullet out of the muzzle.
    Ready to shoot obviously means something more than ready to shoot to you.

Since these are rules of safe gun handling, I think we can make the leap to assume that it will apply to the gun we are handling regardless of ownership.

If you are handling my million dollars, please handle it responsibly. No, you don't necessarily get to keep it, but while it is in your possession, please try to keep it away from fire and the Clinton Foundation. Thanks.

Excellent post, we are striving for the same thing. For the record, I DO see your point. It's akin to telling a kid there's a santa claus and then BAM, little Jimmy at school tells the kid the truth. What is real, what isn't real, what else is a parental ruse. I totally get it, especially with new shooters.

I'm old school and I'm going to dance with the girl that brung me. 4 rules for me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why? Seriously why?

Because. You say it is because of the three rules. But, why.

My answer, because ND's happen. Why, because people treat guns as if they are unloaded when they are not, people trip with loaded guns, people get hot brass down their cleavage in essence people have accidents, are uncautious or disregard the 3 or 4 rules. It will never stop.

We need a Sticky for this thread so we can say shut up and go to the 3 or 4 rules compilation argument Sticky.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Excellent post, we are striving for the same thing. For the record, I DO see your point. It's akin to telling a kid there's a santa claus and then BAM, little Jimmy at school tells the kid the truth. What is real, what isn't real, what else is a parental ruse. I totally get it, especially with new shooters.

I'm old school and I'm going to dance with the girl that brung me. 4 rules for me.

:cheers: Good discussion, thank you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why? Seriously why?

Because. You say it is because of the three rules. But, why.

My answer, because ND's happen. Why, because people treat guns as if they are unloaded when they are not, people trip with loaded guns, people get hot brass down their cleavage in essence people have accidents, are uncautious or disregard the 3 or 4 rules. It will never stop.

We need a Sticky for this thread so we can say shut up and go to the 3 or 4 rules compilation argument Sticky.

This is exactly why we need to stop using Rule #1. Stop giving people excuses to ignore the other rules.

You yourself are implying that an unloaded gun can be treated differently than a loaded gun. Ergo, you don't believe in Rule #1. It's this logic, "it's unloaded so I can act differently", that gets people killed. Don't treat a gun differently based on it 'state of loadedness' and you don't get hurt.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Next time a guy or gal fans me in a gun shop, I'll ash if they are a 3 or 4 rule guy/gal.

If they say, huh. I'll just shrug and walk away.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm intellectually honest and know that guns don't shoot themselves. However, if for some reason a GLock 17 gun jumps up from a stool and shoots me, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

In other words, you know they're not loaded.

If there was truly a gun shop that kept every gun in the case loaded with one in the chamber, you (and I) would never go in that shop. Even though we know they're not going to shoot us on their own.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    This is exactly why we need to stop using Rule #1. Stop giving people excuses to ignore the other rules.

You yourself are implying that an unloaded gun can be treated differently than a loaded gun. Ergo, you don't believe in Rule #1. It's this logic, "it's unloaded so I can act differently", that gets people killed. Don't treat a gun differently based on it 'state of loadedness' and you don't get hurt.

This is correct.

I found this article by searching. This guy pretty much sums up my thoughts.

https://plus.google.com/+ShawnWillden/posts/hP4CkvLcwa4

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    In other words, you know they're not loaded.

If there was truly a gun shop that kept every gun in the case loaded with one in the chamber, you (and I) would never go in that shop. Even though we know they're not going to shoot us on their own.

Incorrect, I do NOT know they are unloaded, that's why we assume they ARE loaded and safety check them prior to handling.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm still very interested to hear from the Four Rules folks on my question in post #100.

If All Guns Are Always Loaded, then how can you justify dry firing a pistol is a crowded parking lot?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The four rules are a mindset, not an algorithm.

So... a mindset that bends and can be broken when deemed acceptable? This is news to me as I figured that the Four Rules were.... rules.

And how is this better than the NRA's Three Rules which are rules, not a mindset that allows for decision making and exceptions?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If All Guns Are Always Loaded, then how can you justify dry firing a pistol is a crowded parking lot?

Or pointing at Klinger????

GunCollection02.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This only convinces me that it's impossible to get some people to even agree about the current time of day +/- five minutes.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This only convinces me that it's impossible to get some people to even agree about the current time of day +/- five minutes.

If you agree that pointing guns at people is the number one cause of people getting unintentionally shot, make a number one rule that instructs people to never do that unless they want someone shot.

If you agree that trigger pulls are the number one cause of shots being fired, make a number two rule that instructs people to not position themselves to pull it until they're ready to.

If you think that considering the gun loaded or unloaded has anything positive to add to those two preventative safety rules, make a suggestion number 27 at the bottom of the list to ensure that they followed the actual safe gun handling rules and prevented any tragedies from occurring long before they get to it and dismiss the rest.

Agree or disagree?

Top Bottom