• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Saturday July 8, Camp Perry Ohio...United States national rifle and pistol matches, rimfire sporter match.
    We had reports of threatening weather since about 6 am, at 1030 our relay was called to the ready line, go post targets and get your self ready, up went targets, out came rifles, spotting scops, slings went on ammo was loaded in magazines, then it happened rain....1st announcement 30 minute rain delay.....2nd announcement match delayed until 130...shoots report by 1pm to be reissued targets.
    It is really pouring rain, I'm dry under the canopy, so myself & about 75 others waited for almost 3 hours until the rain passed. We swapped lies and wished each other good luck.
    1pm no rain, sun comes out and we have a rifle match. Slow prone went well....rapid prone next....for all rapid fire, you start standing, drop into position & fire...prone went well....slow sitting was decent, rapid sitting looked good, slow offhand and rapid offhand seemed decent......scored targets, and I pulled a 565-11X ...a little under my average, but good enough for a bronze....this was good enough for a15th in my division (tactical unlimited)
    I believe between the 3 divisions there were 500(ish) of us shooting this match
    Anyone else shoot RFS or at Perry this year?Resized_PART_1688950730499_Resized_20230709_095120.jpgResized_PART_1688950730677_Resized_20230708_151108.jpg123_1.jpgResized_Resized_20210725_103431(10).jpgResized_Resized_20210725_140130.jpeg

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I was there Saturday July 8th in the rimfire sporter relay #1. My best friend and I were in the rimfire sporter clinic the day before. We had never been to Camp Perry before or competed in any rimfire sporter event, and thought this was a nice opportunity to participate and compete. He brought 2 Ruger 10-22's and I brought my CZ 452 American. We both used CCI SV for our clinic and the match. He competed in the TU and I was in the T class. I feel blessed that we were able to shoot in the first relay without a drop of rain! He did well and placed 16th. I shot ok but made a costly mistake in sitting rapid fire when I lost my current target and placed two of my 10 shots on my sitting slow fire target! I ended up with
    96/92/91/71/97/96 for a total of 543-15X.
    We were registered to also shoot relay #3 for fun but with that rain we decided to get an early start home. We did get a few goodies at the CMP store and picked up some bricks of Wolf Match Target for a great price.
    It was a great experience and we are already looking forward to next year's match!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    What are guys using caliber wise now for mid range high power matches?
    Well , what rifle your shooting, service rifle? Palma rifle? Match rifle any/any (any rifle / any sight) F class?

Bring anything you have and you will find a class to shoot in

Caliber....I'm shooting a 223 (77SMK onto of varget) I can make the 600 yard trip, but the wind does affect me a bit.

Im kinda digging the 6-284 shot one in Lima a few months back, but I diegress, a 308 is a good choice, a 6mm, a 243, a 6.5mm .....anything with decent ballistics will work just fine

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I was there Saturday July 8th in the rimfire sporter relay #1. My best friend and I were in the rimfire sporter clinic the day before. We had never been to Camp Perry before or competed in any rimfire sporter event, and thought this was a nice opportunity to participate and compete. He brought 2 Ruger 10-22's and I brought my CZ 452 American. We both used CCI SV for our clinic and the match. He competed in the TU and I was in the T class. I feel blessed that we were able to shoot in the first relay without a drop of rain! He did well and placed 16th. I shot ok but made a costly mistake in sitting rapid fire when I lost my current target and placed two of my 10 shots on my sitting slow fire target! I ended up with
    96/92/91/71/97/96 for a total of 543-15X.
    We were registered to also shoot relay #3 for fun but with that rain we decided to get an early start home. We did get a few goodies at the CMP store and picked up some bricks of Wolf Match Target for a great price.
    It was a great experience and we are already looking forward to next year's match!
    Camp Perry is an experience.....hope you will be back..... we need to organize a INGO section on the line or at least a dinner together for the INGO competitors

Are you going back for any of the other matches?

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Camp Perry is an experience.....hope you will be back..... we need to organize a INGO section on the line or at least a dinner together for the INGO competitors

Are you going back for any of the other matches?

Not this year but yes we plan on going back next year. IIRC there might be a few other matches where you can use a sporter rimfire?
    Also might be interesred in using 22 pistol.

We stayed two nights and ate dinner both nights at Jollie Roger's Seafood House on the lakeshore. The Lake Erie perch and chips and walleye and chips were delicious.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Nice shooting. Glad you got to shoot. The weather there is crazy, but there is always perch at Jolly Roger's.

I was there Mon thru Fri with 5 friends shooting the pistol matches. Wed was 22 day. The 1st relay shot in the rain. The 2nd relay shot 10 shots and the match was stopped. Coast Guard was looking for some boaters that were not in their boat(s). After a couple hours they cancelled the match for that day and declared it would be an 1800 match instead of a 2700. Not sure if that evey happened before. Our group was to shoot on relay 3 (12:15pm). Thursday and Friday had great weather and we shot without incedent. We were even called to the line on time both days,

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Congrats to those shooting successfully! Camp Perry National Matches is just a faint shadow of what it once was. I saw a photo of one line of 100 targets for the pistol matches. There used to be three, one hundred point ranges with a few relays. That being said, it's good to see that some people still attend. With the better facilities and weather I expect that the NRA National Matches at Camp Atterbury will end up being THE place to shoot.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Congrats to those shooting successfully! Camp Perry National Matches is just a faint shadow of what it once was. I saw a photo of one line of 100 targets for the pistol matches. There used to be three, one hundred point ranges with a few relays. That being said, it's good to see that some people still attend. With the better facilities and weather I expect that the NRA National Matches at Camp Atterbury will end up being THE place to shoot.
    In 2021, my friends and I shot both Perry and Atterbury. I liked Atterbury, but my buddies like the "tradition" of Perry. We were to shoot Atterbury last year, but I got covid and could not go. We went to Perry this year. It is not what it once was, but still had a good time and ate at Jolly Roger's. Attendance at Atterbury has been low. I hope it picks up. It's also about an hour closer to me than Perry.

Top Bottom