• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from you. Very much looking forward to getting together sometime this summer for some more .22 accuracy shooting!
    I was thinking that maybe we take our best shooting ammo (the stuff each of our guns like the most) and work together to see just what kind of tight groups we can achieve. Ya know, really fine tune them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was thinking that maybe we take our best shooting ammo (the stuff each of our guns like the most) and work together to see just what kind of tight groups we can achieve. Ya know, really fine tune them.

It's like you're reading my mind.

I was thinking maybe 3 - 5 types of ammo each. Mine seems to run great with the Federal GM Target, Wolf Match, CCI SV, CCI Green Tag and SK Standard Plus. Out of those, I'm most interested in the Federal, CCI SV and SK as they are the least expensive of what I shot well. I hope to get out to the range from time to time to verify the ammo I shot well with at the SGE and today stay consistent.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    It's like you're reading my mind.

I was thinking maybe 3 - 5 types of ammo each. Mine seems to run great with the Federal GM Target, Wolf Match, CCI SV, CCI Green Tag and SK Standard Plus. Out of those, I'm most interested in the Federal, CCI SV and SK as they are the least expensive of what I shot well. I hope to get out to the range from time to time to verify the ammo I shot well with at the SGE and today stay consistent.
    I've been wanting to do some head to head with Aguila SV and CCI SV. Also, I think we should consider moving out to 100yds.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've been wanting to do some head to head with Aguila SV and CCI SV. Also, I think we should consider moving out to 100yds.

Agreed. I did that today and found it was too breezy to do well. My groupings were around 1.5". I know the rifle will do better, now I need to see if I can. I like the idea of getting great groupings with CCI SV considering the price ;)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I made one attempt at groups with the 457. Made it to shot #3 and went nope not gonna happen today. I had zero stability. Had a good run on the lollipops when I tried. The Mrs and wtb were much better with rifles today.

I did have The Joker with me though and I was on point with that one. Consistently 8 or 9 rounds of the 10 I could ring the 100yd steel with it. I had one mag that I able to hit the 200yd steel with, but couldn’t repeat it. Any day that I’m ringing steel at 100 with a pistol is a good day.

Also, my car smells like shot rimfire ammo.

Last edited:

lexis2413

Mrs. Turbo
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Had a great time ringing steel at 200 yds with the 457! Mr. Turbo was struggling but I was taking out lollipops left and right with it at 50 yds! Also took out some of the lollipops at 100 yds with my 17 HMR! All and all it was a great day!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Had a great time ringing steel at 200 yds with the 457! Mr. Turbo was struggling but I was taking out lollipops left and right with it at 50 yds! Also took out some of the lollipops at 100 yds with my 17 HMR! All and all it was a great day!

I need to break out my 455. It’s a really great rifle just doesn’t get used much.

Sounds like the four of you had a great day!!!!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Sounds like the four of you had a great day!!!!

Yes...I believe we did.:ar15:

The surprising thing was that only one other shooter was at the range today and he was only there for a couple of hours using the pistol bay while we were on the main range.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yes...I believe we did.:ar15:

The surprising thing was that only one other shooter was at the range today and he was only there for a couple of hours using the pistol bay while we were on the main range.

That was very surprising considering how nice of a day it was. Oh well, worked out well for us :D

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, now I feel bad. I decided to do some searches to see if there was a general consensus for measuring groups. Yeah, not really. There are three main methods, measuring center to center, measuring outer edge to outer edge and subtracting the bullet size (measured) and measuring outer edge to outer edge and subtracting bullet size (average). The latter is made more complex as there is debate as to what the proper average is (.22 for all .22's or .215 which is considered the average of the measured diameters). Best advise is to use whatever methodology is used for your event, or club, or group. In any event don't go looking at group sizes on the internet unless you want to feel inferior. I thought I was doing good managing a couple of quarter inch groups yesterday at 50 yards, but I just got done viewing a bunch of images where shooters put 5 rounds pretty much in one hole... :crying:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Well, now I feel bad. I decided to do some searches to see if there was a general consensus for measuring groups. Yeah, not really. There are three main methods, measuring center to center, measuring outer edge to outer edge and subtracting the bullet size (measured) and measuring outer edge to outer edge and subtracting bullet size (average). The latter is made more complex as there is debate as to what the proper average is (.22 for all .22's or .215 which is considered the average of the measured diameters). Best advise is to use whatever methodology is used for your event, or club, or group. In any event don't go looking at group sizes on the internet unless you want to feel inferior. I thought I was doing good managing a couple of quarter inch groups yesterday at 50 yards, but I just got done viewing a bunch of images where shooters put 5 rounds pretty much in one hole... :crying:

I measure the furtherest hits - outside edge to inside edge and figure that gives me center to center without a calculator.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Marlin model 881 22lr bolt action tube fed. 22" barrel. Walnut stock. 3-9×40 scope, sling.
    $275
    The "book" on it is $125 - $225 depending on condition, of course.

Any advice?
    I ran across this and the scope on it got my attention.
    I know that if I got a rifle I'd need a scope on it, and for my accuracy mania, it could be what I "need."
    The rifle has had the same owner for the past 20 yrs.
    I'm waiting word on what brand of scope it is.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know some love the CZ rifle.
    It doesn't have a scope, and a quick look shows for a basic scope: $50 - $150.

CZ 452 22lr rifle.
    Overall in great shape; the stock does have a number of nicks in it from the field.
    Shoots great. Includes 1 10rd magazine.
    $325 OBO

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Depends on what you want to do and your vision. I can't say anything about the gun, but I recently went from a 3x9x40 scope to a 4x12x40 scope, which is easier for me to see clearly at 50 yards. The 3x9x40 was fine at 25, but less so at 50. The 4x12x40 is a little bit short of my needs for 100 yards. I have to experiment more to be sure. I've never been much of a fan of shooting rifles until I got this Anschutz bolt action .22, but I want to shoot it now more than pistol, which is a first for me. I spend all my time watching YouTube videos on tips and tricks. Can't wait for my next trip to the range... :):

Good luck!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Marin 881 is a bit of an oddball at this point. Not that it’s a bad rifle, but you’ll need to do some digging for information should it need any maintenance. Unless it’s running a high quality scope, I think he’s asking too much.

The CZ 452 is a loved rifle by the CZ guys on Rinfire Central. They do tend to command a premium compared to the 455s and the price is model dependent. More information is needed to make a call on the price.

I think you’d really enjoy a rifle. Don’t rush into this one, lots of quality options out there and you could end up going through half a dozen quite easily.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Depends on what you want to do and your vision. I can't say anything about the gun, but I recently went from a 3x9x40 scope to a 4x12x40 scope, which is easier for me to see clearly at 50 yards. The 3x9x40 was fine at 25, but less so at 50. The 4x12x40 is a little bit short of my needs for 100 yards. I have to experiment more to be sure. I've never been much of a fan of shooting rifles until I got this Anschutz bolt action .22, but I want to shoot it now more than pistol, which is a first for me. I spend all my time watching YouTube videos on tips and tricks. Can't wait for my next trip to the range... :):

Good luck!

The Marin 881 is a bit of an oddball at this point. Not that it’s a bad rifle, but you’ll need to do some digging for information should it need any maintenance. Unless it’s running a high quality scope, I think he’s asking too much.

The CZ 452 is a loved rifle by the CZ guys on Rinfire Central. They do tend to command a premium compared to the 455s and the price is model dependent. More information is needed to make a call on the price.

I think you’d really enjoy a rifle. Don’t rush into this one, lots of quality options out there and you could end up going through half a dozen quite easily.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
    Appreciate the input about scopes and will definitely go slow about a rifle.
    The scope got my attention, and made me look since the price point seemed OK if the optic was right.

Top Bottom