• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to quickly share a review of a sling mount that our very own Littletommy made for me. I'm not sure if he intends to sell these or not, but I wanted to give him props for being so kind to send me one to use.

The Draco AK pistols are quite popular right now given their low price point (as low as $329) and the fact they're AK's, which are known for reliability. Many people are picking these nifty little 7.62x39 pistols up as affordable and fun blasters.

But the problem of how to carry it quickly presents itself. I've seen one solution to the sling mount problem where you must drill and tap a hole then install something like an Uncle Mikes sling swivel on the rear trunion of your pistol. I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes if I can avoid it. Plus, for whatever reason, it just doesn't look right to me. It looks like a civilian sling swivel mounted on a wicked little military style arm.

That's where Littletommy comes in. He's devised a very simple solution by using a thin sheet metal plate that attaches under your pistol grip and then extends out the back giving you a mounting point for a sling.

Here's how I received his sling mount device:

1149682973_3vMym-L.jpg

It's "in the white" meaning it wasn't finished. That's nothing a little black spray paint couldn't remedy. So this is what it looked like after I gave it a quick blast of black paint:

1149683071_JT3ta-L.jpg

All that's required is that you use a flat head screw driver to remove the pistol grip.

1149684066_SiQsU-L.jpg

Next you'll want to grow three hands. Place the sling mount plate over the pistol grip mounting block, and reattach the pistol grip using the factory bolt.

1149683874_w4wTo-L.jpg

Tighten everything down and when you're finished it will look something like this:

1149684063_X8tCK-L.jpg

The end result looks like it belongs on the gun. It's non-destructive so you can remove it at any time. The device appears to be very strong and shouldn't fail as far as I can tell.

I used a cheap $16 single point sling I picked up from OpticsPlanet. Now the Draco carries nicely over one shoulder and is easy to grab for blasting those lousy bad guys.

Eventually I will get my paperwork back on my Draco and will install a stock. At that point I will pass this wonderful little device along to someone else on INGO that is interested in it.

Thanks Littletommy for a nifty invention and thanks for sending me one.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Very cool. I find elegance in simplicity, and that is about as elegantly simple as it gets!

Could one of these be made for a standard AK with a stock, if the loop simply stuck out on the left or right side?

(sorry, not an AK guy. . . . . yet :D)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Very cool. I find elegance in simplicity, and that is about as elegantly simple as it gets!

Could one of these be made for a standard AK with a stock, if the loop simply stuck out on the left or right side?

(sorry, not an AK guy. . . . . yet :D)
    I did actually make a file on the water jet for that very thing. The loop is more triangle shaped, and lower profile in relation to the side of the receiver, than the one for the Draco, and sticks out the left side. I haven't cut any as of yet, but I'm thinking they should probably be left flat, instead of having the angle bend on them.

Great review Full Auto, good luck in the contest!:ingo:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've manufactured things at home and applaud it! Nice job with the jetting. I would be cautious and/or consult an attorney before I sold them commercially though - they may be trademarked. I had nearly the exact same plate that has been around for over a year and marketed as the VM-1.

639b665b1be567d383f2c69fdc932222.image.250x249.jpg

VM-1 Draco/AK Pistol Sling Plates [VM-1] - $29.95 : Parallax Tactical LLC, Your SoCal San Diego E.B.R. Source!

... - Calguns.net

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/74613-ak_pistol.html#post1059251

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've manufactured things at home and applaud it! Nice job with the jetting. I would be cautious and/or consult an attorney before I sold them commercially though - they may be trademarked. I had nearly the exact same plate that has been around for over a year and marketed as the VM-1.

VM-1 Draco/AK Pistol Sling Plates [VM-1] - $29.95 : Parallax Tactical LLC, Your SoCal San Diego E.B.R. Source!

... - Calguns.net

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/74613-ak_pistol.html#post1059251
    Yep, I posted about this a few weeks ago, not sure if it's trademarked or not, so far haven't turned up anything saying it is. I still think mine looks more like it belongs there though.;) Even if that particular product is trademarked/patented, there are quite a few differences in design, although the same in principle.

Last edited:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Yep, I posted about this a few weeks ago, not sure if it's trademarked or not, so far haven't turned up anything saying it is. I still think mine looks more like it belongs there though.;) Even if that particular product is trademarked/patented, there are quite a few differences in design, although the same in principle.

Wow 29.95!?!? I got mine for a GREAT DEAL!:D

thanks again littletommy!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I did actually make a file on the water jet for that very thing. The loop is more triangle shaped, and lower profile in relation to the side of the receiver, than the one for the Draco, and sticks out the left side. I haven't cut any as of yet, but I'm thinking they should probably be left flat, instead of having the angle bend on them.

Great review Full Auto, good luck in the contest!:ingo:
    Sure would be nice to see one of these come out on the right side for us lefties...

1shot1kill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I have a Saiga 12 shotgun, does anyone have experience with either sling attachment device pictured in this thread on a Saiga? I'm not sure either will withstand the weight of the Saiga 12 w/20rnd drum vs. the Draco pistol weight. A slightly heavier model may be required.

I hope so because I need a single point sling solution for this weapon. I was also looking at the possibility of attaching a picatinny rail to the scope side mount then a sling swivel to that, but this is lighter and more elegant and will not interfere with my folding stock.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I have a Saiga 12 shotgun, does anyone have experience with either sling attachment device pictured in this thread on a Saiga? I'm not sure either will withstand the weight of the Saiga 12 w/20rnd drum vs. the Draco pistol weight. A slightly heavier model may be required.

I hope so because I need a single point sling solution for this weapon. I was also looking at the possibility of attaching a picatinny rail to the scope side mount then a sling swivel to that, but this is lighter and more elegant and will not interfere with my folding stock.

The draco pistol is quite heavy. Mine is really getting heavy, with a added rail and 5.5" muzzle brake. Ill be ordering a folding stock for it next week. you should have no problems with weight with LittleTommys sling attachment. It is rock solid.

kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle

... - Calguns.net

just happened to run across this in a similar internet search just fyi on copyright or trademark stuff:twocents:. Echo Nine Three

p8riot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Nice job!!!! Saw another homemade mount a while back on another board- the loop was pointier though. I like yours much better. Is it too late to order a couple?

Top Bottom