• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ammo is more expensive to ship vs tax because of the weight and they have to ship it as ORD.

I did the math earlier this Spring with my HRA from the north store and it was definitely cheaper to have them ship vs sales tax.
    I can't remember what Ohio's sales tax is, but if I recall correctly, shipping for a rifle is around $29-ish? So yeah, it's quite probable that that would be cheaper than the tax. I guess that just never occurred to me! Seems like they'd have to charge you the tax since you're making the purchase in person, in Ohio... Must be some quirk of the law. I'll have to remember that if I ever get another one!

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    I picked a rifle out for someone last month, (their paperwork and shipped to them) and I believe the total cost was $649.95. I think it would have cost about $10 more for me to bring it back with me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Range Report

Took the new rifle to Atterbury today and it was great! The only "problems" I encountered was related to the tight fit of all the parts being new. I'm pretty sure those will resolve themselves once I get it broken in. They were just minor... a little hard to load a couple of my en bloc clips. But no more of the "early ejection" problems that the old rifle had. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Ok, just for clarity....I can take my Ltch, birth certificate, driver's license, and go to the CMP store at Camp Perry. I then join a shooting club there at the store for a small fee. Then, I can pick out and purchase a Garand?

How good is the selection, typically? I like the idea of one that appears to be in newer condition, including a new or new looking stock.

Maybe an Ingo road trip is in order sometime!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Ok, just for clarity....I can take my Ltch, birth certificate, driver's license, and go to the CMP store at Camp Perry. I then join a shooting club there at the store for a small fee. Then, I can pick out and purchase a Garand?

How good is the selection, typically? I like the idea of one that appears to be in newer condition, including a new or new looking stock.

Maybe an Ingo road trip is in order sometime!

Yes.

Check here for selection its the N. Store...CMP North Store - CMP Forums

Check out the CMP sales for quality an price that you want. And or when
    you go there tell the folks at the counter you are a first time buyer, what grade you think you are interested in an if they could pick you out a good shooter.....and or you can take me along!! Been there twice, got 2 Garands......so far.

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area

This is a great suggestion to see what is available at the store. When I was there last month we got there around noon and there were only 5 service grades left. I found a 1944 receiver in nice wood.

The Service grade is a great value but with that being said I found a rack grade H&R with a muzzle wear (MW) less than 1 and throat erosion (TE) of 2.

Ask for help too people there, customers and workers, are usually very nice and friendly.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Yes.

Check out the CMP sales for quality an price that you want. And or when
    you go there tell the folks at the counter you are a first time buyer, what grade you think you are interested in an if they could pick you out a good shooter.....and or you can take me along!! Been there twice, got 2 Garands......so far.

I'd be thrilled to take you and anyone else who wants to go, but I do have to pay a credit card down a bit first. I'll subscribe to this thread and will let you know when I can do it.

How large is the selection usually? Is there a best time of month or year for selection?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd be thrilled to take you and anyone else who wants to go, but I do have to pay a credit card down a bit first. I'll subscribe to this thread and will let you know when I can do it.

How large is the selection usually? Is there a best time of month or year for selection?
    This is about how it looked when I went in February... maybe not quite as full on the far wall... but the floor racks were all full like this. Service Grade took up the two closest floor racks if I remember correctly. The ones on the wall to the right were mostly Winchesters ($$). Back wall was miscellaneous "other rifles". Next couple floor racks from the back were Rack and Field Grade, and the long rack on the left was Select Grades, Correct Grades, and some other miscellaneous stuff like air rifles and .22s.

northstore.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    This is about how it looked when I went in February... maybe not quite as full on the far wall... but the floor racks were all full like this. Service Grade took up the two closest floor racks if I remember correctly. The ones on the wall to the right were mostly Winchesters ($$). Back wall was miscellaneous "other rifles". Next couple floor racks from the back were Rack and Field Grade, and the long rack on the left was Select Grades, Correct Grades, and some other miscellaneous stuff like air rifles and .22s.

northstore.jpg

When I was there 2 years ago it looked almost exactly like the picture above....Shirts were white then though

Top Bottom