• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Hmmm... I see what you mean now that I went back to look again at their grading descriptions. However, I noticed that my barrel has been stamped "NM", which I assumed meant "New Manufacture". :dunno: Either way, I'm happy! :D At worst, I have a "Service Grade Springfield Special", and at best I have a "Special Grade". Either one is an upgrade from the one I sent in for exchange (just a Service Grade Springfield).

NM = National Match

Hang on to that rifle!
    (And log it into your C&R record book, as all C&R eligible firearms you acquire must be logged into it whether you use the C&R to obtain it or not.)

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Ive been reading on the CMP forum that some rifles are coming out in service grade with national match parts. That is a good buy, really regardless of NM or not.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's great to see the CMP is sending out nice M1's. I am hoping to make a trip there in the next month or so. If I can't make it I am now less fearful of just ordering it. I have shot a couple and really am looking forward to getting one. Enjpy your new gun!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    could some one answer a question for me? A friend told me that a indiana ltch would meet the requirement for the "markmanship or other firearm related activity"

thanks

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    could some one answer a question for me? A friend told me that a indiana ltch would meet the requirement for the "markmanship or other firearm related activity"

thanks

YES!!! For me all I needed was that, birth certificate, member of GCA an my drivers liciense.....if your at the store you can inroll in a club like GCA or simillar club for a small fee an your good to go to buy a rifle.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    YES!!! For me all I needed was that, birth certificate, member of GCA an my drivers liciense.....if your at the store you can inroll in a club like GCA or simillar club for a small fee an your good to go to buy a rifle.

thanks looks like next tax time im getting a garand!:rockwoot:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Just a reminder for those considering driving up to Camp Perry to pick out a Garand. Have them ship it back to you. You don't end up paying sales tax and the savings is more than what you will pay in shipping. And they pack it very well in a CMP green case and ship it overnight with signature required.

Love the CMP rifles.

And if you end up with an older stock, get ready to have some fun sweating the cosmoline out of it. I must be a sicko because I get excited thinking about cosmoline cover Garands. :yesway:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Just a reminder for those considering driving up to Camp Perry to pick out a Garand. Have them ship it back to you. You don't end up paying sales tax and the savings is more than what you will pay in shipping. And they pack it very well in a CMP green case and ship it overnight with signature required.

Love the CMP rifles.

And if you end up with an older stock, get ready to have some fun sweating the cosmoline out of it. I must be a sicko because I get excited thinking about cosmoline cover Garands. :yesway:

Thanks for the tip about the shipping! I am hoping to make a trip there in the next few weeks. I don't have to have it for the ride back lol.

I had a fun time getting it out of my Mosin. If I shoot it a lot It will still sweat a little out. I think it is in the wood for ever. A buddy recommended putting it in the oven(one end at a time) on a low heat with a pan under it. It helped a lot but i need to do it again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NM = National Match

Hang on to that rifle!
    (And log it into your C&R record book, as all C&R eligible firearms you acquire must be logged into it whether you use the C&R to obtain it or not.)

I logged it. Now, what does National Match signify? Is it a "match grade" barrel or...? Sounds like it's a good thing! :D

*Edit* I looked it up... The Garand Collectors Association » M1 National Match Summary

:rockwoot:

I love all the new stuff I learn from :ingo:!

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

Hmmm its been a while but I thought I remember shipping the rifles was more than the sales tax, or maybe it was the ammo. One of them it was cheaper to buy there vs. paying for shipping, I just can't remember which, but I guess it depends on which rifle you got. I got a field grade, which might be cheaper ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hmmm its been a while but I thought I remember shipping the rifles was more than the sales tax, or maybe it was the ammo. One of them it was cheaper to buy there vs. paying for shipping, I just can't remember which, but I guess it depends on which rifle you got. I got a field grade, which might be cheaper ;)
    I'm pretty sure that if you factor in the cost of gas (at least from where I live), ordering by mail is the cheapest way to go... but not nearly as much fun! :) I'd still like to make it down to the South store one of these days...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Very true!!

but for me I used to travel that way on business occasionally, so someone else bought my gas ;)

(SEE! I didn't do that, someone else made that happen!)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Nice! I have one I picked up off an Individual at a Lafayette gun show, but its more of a field grade. I have some M2 ball on order from CMP - mainly put the order in to get the paperwork done so I can hopefully order one of the Special grade M1's later.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County

Ammo is more expensive to ship vs tax because of the weight and they have to ship it as ORD.

I did the math earlier this Spring with my HRA from the north store and it was definitely cheaper to have them ship vs sales tax.

Top Bottom