• ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    THAT IS AWESOME!

Let me get a "thank you" note off to them. Congress, eh? Looks like I need to write Rokita as well, and CC the other 8.

Thanks for the link, sharkey!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Letter sent to Rokita
    -------------
    Rep. Rokita,

I learned today that your colleague, Congressman Gibbs (R-OH) has introduced The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act (HR 1865). This Act would remove the ban of legally carried firearms from the Army Corp of Engineer's Recreational properties. These properties are the last Federally managed recreational areas that still prohibit voters from legally exercising their rights to Keep and Bear Arms.

As I am sure you are aware, many of Indiana's Department of Natural Resources recreational properties are also Army Corp of Engineer properties. These include Patoka Lake, Cagle's Mill, Brookville Reservoir, and others. While our DNR recognizes the Indiana License to Carry a Handgun, the Corp properties do not. Visitors may unknowingly break Federal Law by carrying on what they believe is State property, or be forced to disarm. Personally, I have chosen to not visit many of our State's beautiful parks and reservoirs, because I value my and my families safety above a day at the park.

I urge you to lend whatever support you can to Congressman Gibbs and co-author Congressman Altmire to make this Act a reality. Law abiding and safety conscious citizens deserve access to ALL of our State and National recreation areas.

Thank you in advance for you attention to this matter,

Ryan *******
    Brownsburg, IN

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    58. H.R.1865 : Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act of 2011
    Sponsor: Rep Gibbs, Bob [OH-18] (introduced 5/12/2011) Cosponsors (73)
    Committees: House Transportation and Infrastructure
    Latest Major Action: 5/13/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment.

Last edited:

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    Wow - I cant count the times I've been to Brookville with a weapon strapped to my side. I guess I'll spend my leisure time at Witewater STATE park.

Thanks for the intel.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    House Approves Altmire Amendment to Restrict Funds for Gun Enforcement on Army Corps Land

This article talks about cutting funds for enforcing the ban. From my reading of the article, it looks like the Army can still ban firearms, but are prohibited from enforcing the ban.

Loophole?

A step in the right direction. If the funding cut has already passed, it should be easier to get the restriction removed with the HR. I would think

Letters enroute to IN representatives and to the RINO's in the Senate as well.

Good find OP, thanks for posting this. :yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've carried many times at Brookville also. Just out of curiosity who would enforce this ban? Conservation officers?

The Corps said, in a statement: “Public Law 111-024 does not apply to Corps projects or facilities . . . [and the Army Corps] will continue to prohibit loaded concealed weapons on Corps properties regardless of the new law and notwithstanding any contrary provisions of state law.”

I'm guessing the directive to enforce it would be handed down to CO's charged with ACoE property management, as well as ACoE local officers.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I've had 2 CO's who work occasionally at Monroe say they wouldn't enforce this. Yes, I know there are way more than 2 out there, but I can't imagine any of them being more "gung-ho" than one of those I spoke with.

note - I spoke with state CO's, can't say anything about the fed CO's feelings on the issue.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Watched it in real time on C-Span, the speaker called for a voice vote, and it was very clear that the "Nays" were in the majority [very few members were present on the floor] but the "speaker" [a Republican] pulled a John Murtha and stated that "in the opinion of the Chair, the ayes have it, the amendment is passed". No one called for an electronic vote as anyone could find out who voted no, meaning they might lose some votes in the next election. Same type of thing happened years ago when the ban on sales of new Class 3 firearms was passed. The majority clearly voted [by voice] "NO", but the "chair" stated the "AYES" have it, the bill was passed and made into law, but no electronic vote was requested. That way, the members who voted "AYE" could lie to their constituents and tell them that they really voted "NO". Ain't politics wonderful?

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    It worked good for us this time, the Class 3 vote worked the opposite. Last year around midnite one night, I watched dozens of amendments voted on in the Senate when there was but one [1] Senator in the chamber. That's right sports fans, one and only one Senator compromised the voice vote. That was an interesting bit of political education on my part to say the least!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom