• ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I want to thank whoever posted this, because I wasn't awake this morning when I started reading through this. Then I had a panic attack because I am flying down to San Antonio a week from today and I do not have a Real ID yet. I got my driver's license renewed after they started the Real ID, but before the started forcing you to do it.

I checked, and I am ok to fly. After I get back though I am going to get the Real ID thing taken care of.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I want to thank whoever posted this, because I wasn't awake this morning when I started reading through this. Then I had a panic attack because I am flying down to San Antonio a week from today and I do not have a Real ID yet. I got my driver's license renewed after they started the Real ID, but before the started forcing you to do it.

I checked, and I am ok to fly. After I get back though I am going to get the Real ID thing taken care of.

I believe it is only required for international flights.

I'm still trying to decide if they will want my divorce decree and first marriage license...things I burned a longggggg time ago and don't care to have to pay for again. Since I changed back to my maiden name at the time of the divorce, my current marriage shows my maiden name on my license. Hmmmmmm......

I'm in no hurry to comply so it will only be an issue if I ever decide to go visit my son.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Do you not need a Passport for an international flight.

IIRC the Real ID will eventually be required for all flights and entering Federal facilities.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do you not need a Passport for an international flight.

IIRC the Real ID will eventually be required for all flights and entering Federal facilities.

You do need a passport, and since a passport can be used as an ID to get the Real ID, it just seems stupid to me that we are even doing this.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

I'm still trying to decide if they will want my divorce decree and first marriage license...things I burned a longggggg time ago and don't care to have to pay for again. Since I changed back to my maiden name at the time of the divorce, my current marriage shows my maiden name on my license. Hmmmmmm......

I'm in no hurry to comply so it will only be an issue if I ever decide to go visit my son.

I'm going with you won't need the first set of papers since you took your maiden name back.
    Birth certificate--> marriage license
    same name, should be all you need.
    It's when you don't take the maiden name back and you look like this
    birth certificate---> marriage license----> marriage license.
    they have to be able to track the new names.
    my first marriage was in 1985.. come on, who saves that **** when you aren't married anymore?!? My ex-husband, that's who :): made it very easy for me to get my star

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County

I'm still trying to decide if they will want my divorce decree and first marriage license...things I burned a longggggg time ago and don't care to have to pay for again. Since I changed back to my maiden name at the time of the divorce, my current marriage shows my maiden name on my license. Hmmmmmm......I'm in no hurry to comply so it will only be an issue if I ever decide to go visit my son.

Mom45......It is more complicated for a woman. So check what you will need, as it may take a while to gather. Thank goodness my wife had old divorce papers........

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm going with you won't need the first set of papers since you took your maiden name back.
    Birth certificate--> marriage license
    same name, should be all you need.
    It's when you don't take the maiden name back and you look like this
    birth certificate---> marriage license----> marriage license.
    they have to be able to track the new names.
    my first marriage was in 1985.. come on, who saves that **** when you aren't married anymore?!? My ex-husband, that's who :): made it very easy for me to get my star

I wonder though if my first married name shows up in their records, will they question the lack of a paper trail for when that started and stopped? It says you need the documents for all name changes. My mom had to get her marriage license from 1955. I tried to tell her this was not REQUIRED and since she is not going to be traveling or going into a federal building, she didn't need to do it. She insisted that the people at her BMV told her she HAD to do this so she paid to get the copies. She was nearly having anxiety attacks over how she was going to get that stupid piece of paper.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mom45......It is more complicated for a woman. So check what you will need, as it may take a while to gather. Thank goodness my wife had old divorce papers........

I'm in no hurry. When I renewed my license last fall, I told them I wasn't interested in having that little star on my license. I told my son he has to come visit me because I am not sure I could deal with flying over the big pond. It makes me anxious to even think about it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yes motorcycle is now an "L". Go figure.

Got my star easily as well, 15 minutes.

Don
    I just went to the BMV site, there is no M restriction in use now except on CDL. Now I'll go see if they gave me grey hair...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I wonder though if my first married name shows up in their records, will they question the lack of a paper trail for when that started and stopped? It says you need the documents for all name changes. My mom had to get her marriage license from 1955. I tried to tell her this was not REQUIRED and since she is not going to be traveling or going into a federal building, she didn't need to do it. She insisted that the people at her BMV told her she HAD to do this so she paid to get the copies. She was nearly having anxiety attacks over how she was going to get that stupid piece of paper.

good point.

I just knew I would need both licenses since I never took my maiden name back.

I'd call, but since you're not in a hurry... :):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    good point.

I just knew I would need both licenses since I never took my maiden name back.

I'd call, but since you're not in a hurry... :):

Maybe if I wait long enough, they will remove the Real ID thing and I won't have to do it! :rockwoot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    DHS has been working with states for years around REAL ID compliance and have provided technical assistance, grants and other support to them. We are also providing more than two years advance notice of implementation with respect to domestic air travel to allow ample time for all states to achieve compliance, or for potential air travelers to acquire an alternate form of ID if their state does not comply with REAL ID.

Starting January 22, 2018, travelers who do not have a license from a compliant state or a state that has been granted an extension (a complete list of non-compliant states/ territories can be found here) will be asked to provide alternate acceptable identification. If the traveler cannot provide an acceptable form of identification, they will not be permitted through the security checkpoint.

Starting October 1, 2020, every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. This is what we call “card-based” enforcement. The card, itself, must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an alternative acceptable document such as a passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents other than documents from non-compliant states (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

My wife had to retrieve her marriage certificate AND her divorce decree. I know, I know..... other's experiences may vary. But my wife slugged it out with the branch manager, and then the branch manager and her boss. What ya gonna do?? Start shopping BMV branches?? AND.... as already pointed out, isn't this what the passport is for??

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    DHS has been working with states for years around REAL ID compliance and have provided technical assistance, grants and other support to them. We are also providing more than two years advance notice of implementation with respect to domestic air travel to allow ample time for all states to achieve compliance, or for potential air travelers to acquire an alternate form of ID if their state does not comply with REAL ID.

Starting January 22, 2018, travelers who do not have a license from a compliant state or a state that has been granted an extension (a complete list of non-compliant states/ territories can be found here) will be asked to provide alternate acceptable identification. If the traveler cannot provide an acceptable form of identification, they will not be permitted through the security checkpoint.

Starting October 1, 2020, every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. This is what we call “card-based” enforcement. The card, itself, must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an alternative acceptable document such as a passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents other than documents from non-compliant states (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

boarding commercial aircraft

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It would sure be a lot easier and more convenient if folks and their children would simply get chipped and accept the mark.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got mine in the mail yesterday after visiting the Plainfield BMV last week. LTCH can be used for something, that was the first thing I threw on the counter. LTCH, birth certificate, SS card, utility bill. I'm not sure if my old "non-star" license counted for anything or not. They hit me with a restriction for corrective lenses. WTH, I can drive without them, just can't read. Motorcycle endorsement was M, now L. ????

"L" is for "Liver donor."

Top Bottom