• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As to your first point, getting a non-delayed birth certificate for an adopted person has many obstacles, some of which are pretty insurmountable. Doesn't matter how long they have.

As to your second, even agreement of the parties sometimes does not allow them to flout the rules. ;)

Have they tried an N-560 or N-561 instead of a birth certificate?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Have they tried an N-560 or N-561 instead of a birth certificate?

Aaand we reach the extent of my familiarity with the topic. I had to google those, and my limited understanding is that there are rules about timing and qualification that require proof that is not always available.

Regardless, it becomes a significant process just to get a drivers license.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Regardless, it becomes a significant process just to get a drivers license.

No argument here.

Like any such law, somewhere around 96% will find it annoying, a hassle, but can pull it off relative easily (my wife had to have an official, sealed, copy of our marriage license mailed from Goshen).

Most of the remainder will have issues that are more than a hassle and more than annoying and seem out of proportion for what they are trying to do- get a driver license.

Our legislators made the judgment that for the .0000000000000002% who are trying to do harm while concealing their identity, the rest of us had to put up with some difficulty, or even great difficulty. Obviously, these things could always be done better as bureaucrats are seldom the most forward-thinking and best problem solvers in society, but that's what happens whenever something new comes along that changes how we keep records.

We can debate the wisdom of the law itself, the requirements, etc....and that's fair, and obviously there is a fundamental right to complain. I'm a cockeyed optimist who believes that there is a solution for pretty much every problem.

I guess it's not fair that some bear an disproportional burden....but that's just the way pretty much everything works.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No argument here.

Like any such law, somewhere around 96% will find it annoying, a hassle, but can pull it off relative easily (my wife had to have an official, sealed, copy of our marriage license mailed from Goshen).

Most of the remainder will have issues that are more than a hassle and more than annoying and seem out of proportion for what they are trying to do- get a driver license.

Our legislators made the judgment that for the .0000000000000002% who are trying to do harm while concealing their identity, the rest of us had to put up with some difficulty, or even great difficulty. Obviously, these things could always be done better as bureaucrats are seldom the most forward-thinking and best problem solvers in society, but that's what happens whenever something new comes along that changes how we keep records.

We can debate the wisdom of the law itself, the requirements, etc....and that's fair, and obviously there is a fundamental right to complain. I'm a cockeyed optimist who believes that there is a solution for pretty much every problem.

I guess it's not fair that some bear an disproportional burden....but that's just the way pretty much everything works.
    Something i haven't seen, are they not going to issue a standard driver's license anymore? The only downside would be you couldn't use it to fly. Some people never board a plane though.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Something i haven't seen, are they not going to issue a standard driver's license anymore? The only downside would be you couldn't use it to fly. Some people never board a plane though.

They still will offer the "standard," non-Real ID driver's license. They offered to issue me such a license when I was trying to get them to accept my Consular Report of Birth Abroad, so I would drive on it until I could find my "real birth certificate."

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County

As I understand, you can still get a regular license. You don't have to have the Real ID if you don't need it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Too true; I renewed mine in June, and brought in all the papers to get it Real ID compliant. I visit a license branch at least annually, as I have an "authentic model year license plate" on my 1989 Mustang, and I cannot renew it online. EVERY time I've been in they have asked me if I'm Real ID compliant and encouraged upgrading my driver's license.

However, when I did bring in my papers (meine Papieren?), the license branch staff told me my FS-545, Consular Report of Birth Abroad was insufficient, and I needed to bring in my birth certificate. After much discussion and involving the branch manager, I was finally able to convince them the document listed ON THEIR WEBSITE was, in fact, my birth certificate.

Not that I need a Real ID; when Mrs. MarkC and I fly or go onto a military base, we use our DoD ID cards. However, I got mine, as resistance is futile.

Do you have a valid passport? Passport and W2 from previous year (verifies SS# and current address) gets it done here in Ohio

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The things and places you need "real ID" to do or go are things that I specifically do not do and places I specifically do not go.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The things and places you need "real ID" to do or go are things that I specifically do not do and places I specifically do not go.

I had to get it. I have two sons still active duty. If I want to see them on base I have to have it I believe starting in 2020. Other than that I didn't need it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had to get it. I have two sons still active duty. If I want to see them on base I have to have it I believe starting in 2020. Other than that I didn't need it.

I am spared a significant number of responsibilities and duties by not having children! I apparently have sufficient difficulty taking care of myself, so being responsible for little people with needs who grow and have bigger needs is . . . intimidating.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    It still is. It's the other one that went away.

Point well taken. The Bundesrepublik Deutschland is still in business, while the Deutsche Demokratische Republik went out of business in 1990. Despite the name, there was nothing democratic about the "German Democratic Republic."

As a kid in West Germany in the late 60's and early 70's, it was completely unfathomable to believe that the Iron Curtain would ever fall and the two be reunited.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

this is a good point; when we stopped at Fort Knox to visit the PX on the way to Florida, we needed to get a visitor pass for the mother-in-law. She will need a Real ID to do that next year, after the deadline.

Also, the son is scheduled to report to basic in June 2020 (delayed entry program). Mother-in-law will need the Real ID to attend graduation, again as a visitor on post at Fort Sill.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    this is a good point; when we stopped at Fort Knox to visit the PX on the way to Florida, we needed to get a visitor pass for the mother-in-law. She will need a Real ID to do that next year, after the deadline.

Also, the son is scheduled to report to basic in June 2020 (delayed entry program). Mother-in-law will need the Real ID to attend graduation, again as a visitor on post at Fort Sill.

My boys are deployed right now. I spend lots of money sending care packages. They really miss the little stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another prognostication: people (adults) who were adopted back in the day when these kinds of records weren't as important will have real, legitimate problems through no fault of their own.

Some lawyers that I know in that line of work are talking about it, and it isn't clear what can be done. As I understand it, which may not be complete, a "delayed" birth certificate is insufficient to prove citizenship. And if the original birth certificate is unavailable, there's no real way to prove where someone was born.

Hey, if Obama could do it... ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Too true; I renewed mine in June, and brought in all the papers to get it Real ID compliant. I visit a license branch at least annually, as I have an "authentic model year license plate" on my 1989 Mustang, and I cannot renew it online. EVERY time I've been in they have asked me if I'm Real ID compliant and encouraged upgrading my driver's license.

However, when I did bring in my papers (meine Papieren?), the license branch staff told me my FS-545, Consular Report of Birth Abroad was insufficient, and I needed to bring in my birth certificate. After much discussion and involving the branch manager, I was finally able to convince them the document listed ON THEIR WEBSITE was, in fact, my birth certificate.

Not that I need a Real ID; when Mrs. MarkC and I fly or go onto a military base, we use our DoD ID cards. However, I got mine, as resistance is futile.

Nay. They just said you didn’t have sufficient paperwork because they all get high, send people away to bring yet more paperwork. And then they all laugh about it while munching on Frito-lays. I was sent home to bring back yet more paperwork several times.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When my wife went to get hers she took the marriage certificate we'd used forever. Handwritten with raised seal from the country preacher who'd married us. I mean it was good enough for the USAF. Well, not good enough for Indiana in 2019. Thankfully we were married in Washington County, the person who answered the phone at the courthouse was the niece of a friend from high school, the whole thing took three minutes.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    When my wife went to get hers she took the marriage certificate we'd used forever. Handwritten with raised seal from the country preacher who'd married us. I mean it was good enough for the USAF. Well, not good enough for Indiana in 2019. Thankfully we were married in Washington County, the person who answered the phone at the courthouse was the niece of a friend from high school, the whole thing took three minutes.

Right? Papers that were good enough for the US Army or USAF are insufficient for the Indiana BMV. Fortunately, yours was someplace nearby and you could phone-a-friend to get this taken care of. If I need another Counsular Report of Birth Abroad, I'd have to write off to the Department of State, pay $50, and wait however long it takes the bureaucracy to find a document from 1960.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The BMV would not accept our original marriage license because it had no raised stamp. They did not stamp them back in the dark ages when we got married. My wife had to get a copy. The copy had a raised stamp declaring it official. Original document no good, but copy accepted. Really stupid system.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m telling you, as soon as they send you away, they hit the bong and laugh their asses off at you, and one-up each other’s stories about the ridiculous reasons they’ve sent people away.

”...and then I sent them away because their original marriage license didn’t have a raised seal!”

”Oh yeah? I just sent someone home because it DID have a raised seal!”

Group breaks out, “Bahahahahahaha!”

Top Bottom