• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My drivers license is expiring in July. So I will be doing threw the steps to get a "real" ID. I am going to assume my SS card I was issued in the early 70's won't cut it? I was told by my sister that a friend of her's had to take a death certificate from their spouse? I looked threw info on the BMV and I only see that it is needed if there is a name change? I am not doing that.

Any widower's have to deal with this yet?

Thanks
    Larry

A death certificate from my spouse.....

That would be awesome. Unfortunately, she is still alive. I can still dream..... she can't take that away from me, like she did everything else. That *****! :xmad:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    They wouldn't accept my birth certificate because it didn't have a raised seal.

Take a silver dollar, tails up on the floor. Put the birth certificate over it on the corner you would have the raised seal. Thin piece of rubber over it or clean rubber sole of a dress shoe would work as well and stand on it. Looks legit... so I hear... maybe. :D

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I went through this last week. Overall, quite painless. Took my SS card, birth certificate, insuramce policy on the house for address and my LTCH for the other adddress. Had my new license in less than a week.

Yep. Same here. I took some extra "stuff" in case something was disallowed, but nope... all went smoothly.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Take a silver dollar, tails up on the floor. Put the birth certificate over it on the corner you would have the raised seal. Thin piece of rubber over it or clean rubber sole of a dress shoe would work as well and stand on it. Looks legit... so I hear... maybe. :D

Now there... right there... is a highly usable factoid of information. Highly transferable to many situations.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Kinda late now. I got my secure ID DL long enough ago that I had to renew it last year. Which was pretty damn easy, because you can renew them online every other renewal. So next time I'll have to go in person.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I went through this BS last week and learned that my original SS card is not an SS card and my original birth certificate is not my birth certificate... according to the BMV.

The SS card is a stub.
    The birth certificate isn't a certificate of birth.

What a load of crap. I travel for work and will guarantee that my coworkers will get caught by surprise as well when trying to get on a plane.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I finally made it to the BMV. It was pretty painless over all. they took my 1970's SS card. I brought my Birth certificate that is a small one but it was embossed with the county seal. I took a couple pieces of mail address to me. Both needed to be postmark dated with in the last 60 dates. I ended up going back to my car and finding a new insurance bill. I really had no issues. Or I should say nothing that stopped me from getting a new license. The lady was great. I have had really good luck with the BMV these days.

My ass didn't even get a chance to warm the seat and my number was called. They had a cashier at every station. It was great!

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I went thru the process this week with no troubles, SS card, small wallet size copy of birth certificate, a couple payment booklets for home & auto. Just in case had misc mail, CCW permit, and original birth certificate because sometimes you never know WTH to expect when you go to the BMV.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just went and renewed my license this morning (got the Real ID). Left the house at 8:30, and was back home by 8:45! Went to the BMV on S. Meridian St. right near my house and was in and out just that quick. :yesway: Had to update my hair color from brown to gray though, and reduce my height by an inch. :fogey: I told the guy I didn't think I was going to fool anyone into thinking my hair was still brown. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just went and renewed my license this morning (got the Real ID). Left the house at 8:30, and was back home by 8:45! Went to the BMV on S. Meridian St. right near my house and was in and out just that quick. :yesway: Had to update my hair color from brown to gray though, and reduce my height by an inch. :fogey: I told the guy I didn't think I was going to fool anyone into thinking my hair was still brown. :):
    I did mine last month also. It was surprisingly painless.

The BMV was practically full when I went in but only waited 20 minutes. No issues with the docs and no discussion on still calling my hair brown. :)

Something I wasn't ready for was the difficulty getting through the vision test. Happily the very nice lady encouraged me along and I eeked my way through it.:n00b:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Should I use the eagle moon landing or the liberty bell back?

When I got mine years ago it was painless except that I had no middle name. and had to change everything to match.

My military and VA records still list what I thought was my middle name.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I did mine last month also. It was surprisingly painless.

The BMV was practically full when I went in but only waited 20 minutes. No issues with the docs and no discussion on still calling my hair brown. :)

Something I wasn't ready for was the difficulty getting through the vision test. Happily the very nice lady encouraged me along and I eeked my way through it.:n00b:

Oh yeah, I always breathe a little sigh of relief after the vision test too. :):

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... Had to update my hair color from brown to gray though...

I transitioned to “Middle-aged-American” about the time I came to Texas. When I went in to get my Texas DL the lady st the computer asked my hair color. I said “distinguished.” I guess she couldn’t spell big words because she typed “GRAY.”

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Renewed my IN DL earlier today to RealID... sailed right through in 10 minutes. Kudos to the Indiana BMV; what a difference from a few years back.

I got mine in the mail yesterday after visiting the Plainfield BMV last week. LTCH can be used for something, that was the first thing I threw on the counter. LTCH, birth certificate, SS card, utility bill. I'm not sure if my old "non-star" license counted for anything or not. They hit me with a restriction for corrective lenses. WTH, I can drive without them, just can't read. Motorcycle endorsement was M, now L. ????

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Got my star this year too.
    she changed my hair to grey too... how hateful. I still identify as a young feller.
    i passed the eye thing barely... I missed the max and still pass, so no restrictions for 6 more years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Got my star this year too.
    she changed my hair to grey too... how hateful. I still identify as a young feller.
    i passed the eye thing barely... I missed the max and still pass, so no restrictions for 6 more years.
    I hate it when people mis-color my hair. Bigots!

Top Bottom