• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So, here's what I dont get. If a valid passport qualifies as "real ID", and, in fact, is "higher" than "real ID" in that it allows you to move legally across international borders - why isn't the valid passport the only document you need to submit to get your DL "real ID"?

Because while it proves citizenship and identity, it does not prove current residency or SSN.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, here's what I dont get. If a valid passport qualifies as "real ID", and, in fact, is "higher" than "real ID" in that it allows you to move legally across international borders - why isn't the valid passport the only document you need to submit to get your DL "real ID"?

Passports don't have your address.

DL's, apart from verifying who you are, need to be correct for where you live.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Passports don't have your address.

DL's, apart from verifying who you are, need to be correct for where you live.

When I started in law enforcement in 1987, the BMV would accept pretty much anything you said for your address, and would allow you to use a middle name as a first name on a DL. By the time I retired and the BMV was actually vetting some of these things, the information on the DL was much, much more reliable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Imagine my dismay when flying with my wife- a first time flyer without TSA Precheck- where, being the good husband, I went through the regular schmuck security line with her.

TSA should hire more extra-terrestrial aliens. They have a lot of experience with anal probing people against their will.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Imagine my dismay when flying with my wife- a first time flyer without TSA Precheck- where, being the good husband, I went through the regular schmuck security line with her.

Really? I thought since you were together, you'd both get the fast lane. At least that's what happened with me; which it was ironic - because I was flying with my black co-worker, we got hassled less.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Really? I thought since you were together, you'd both get the fast lane. At least that's what happened with me; which it was ironic - because I was flying with my black co-worker, we got hassled less.

If you have TSA Precheck, you go to a completely different line and checkpoint. If it’s not on your ticket- no go.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Passport, DL, LTCH, W2...pay...14 day waiting period for snail mail.
    Only thing different for the Mrs. was having the marriage certificate.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, that was fun.

I presented my birth certificate.
    Lady told me, it says "for government use only".

Umm. Isn't a driver's license, especially a "Real ID" GOVERNMENT USE?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Doesn't your Social Security Card say "Not for Identification Purposes" or something to that effect, and yet EVERYONE uses it as such.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Your birth certificate says "for government use only?"

Right next to
    "Commonwealth of Massachusetts" there is are words that were place with an ink stamp.
    It says, For Government (blurry unintelligible)... only.

I think the blurry section says "official use", but not sure.

And for some reason, the City Clerk certified it a year and a half AFTER I was born.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Doesn't your Social Security Card say "Not for Identification Purposes" or something to that effect, and yet EVERYONE uses it as such.

Mine doesn't say that.
    Mine looks like this
    Social-Security-Card.jpg

socseccardback-300x180.png

(mine doesn't have the date written on the bottom like this one)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I found this online. My husband's still says it since he has never had it replaced, and I am pretty sure at least my original one had it.

A: The first Social Security cards were issued starting in 1936, they did not have this legend. Beginning with the sixth design version of the card, issued starting in 1946, SSA added a legend to the bottom of the card reading "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY PURPOSES -- NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION." This legend was removed as part of the design changes for the 18th version of the card, issued beginning in 1972. The legend has not been on any new cards issued since 1972.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well no. They just use it to establish who you are as a unique person.

oh wait...

Top Bottom