• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blinken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    Lebanon
    Real ID is good for 7 years. I did mine in 2010. I renewed online in 2017. For online renewal I didn't have to provide documentation. I just had to answer questions to verify identity or something like that.
    However, if you let your RealID license expire, you must furnish all the documentation to renew. So be aware of the expiration date.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Same here. Until I retired, I used to fly about 400K miles annually. I would do anything to save time and hassle. Probably would have gotten a TSA tattoo if it would have helped. :)

Imagine my dismay when flying with my wife- a first time flyer without TSA Precheck- where, being the good husband, I went through the regular schmuck security line with her.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Never had a passport and have no intention of ever getting one, assuming Illinois doesn't require one some day. :): I carry a copy of my birth certificate in my billfold. An additional form of non-government-issued ID was required and, believe it or not, they accepted a motel receipt with my name and address on it. It was left in the truck after our last p dog trip. Now I can legally continue to not fly anywhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I renewed my non real (fake?) ID online...

Read this and went to renew mine online. Won't let me due to motorcycle endorsement. :dunno:

I'm still up in the air on the Real ID. I don't really fly much at all, but never know when a family event/emergency might call for it. :scratch:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Went to my friendly neighborhood BMV this afternoon and got my new license. About 45 minutes total, eezy peezy, and I walked out with my temp paper license.

The only curve ball was that, I had my birth cert for proof of identity and of lawful status, I had my W2 for proof of SS# and of residency, but I didn't know that I needed two documents to prove residency. Good thing I had my LTCH.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Wait, are the RealID ones only good for 2 years instead of 7 now? Mine was issued in 2011 and I'm coming up for renewal in December of this year. I think I'm cool on documentation, but I have to find my "real" duplicate (non-original from the hospital) birth certificate. I'm pretty sure I have it. I have a scanned copy on my computer but if they want the raised seal, that won't cut it.

just renewed in Feb this year, got the real ID. It expires in 24. That's 6 years.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    just renewed in Feb this year, got the real ID. It expires in 24. That's 6 years.

I renewed mine last fall and it also is only for 6 years. How do some get 7 years?

I renewed mine online last time so had to go in and do it and do the eye test this time.

I did my husband's online last summer, and he has a motorcycle endorsement on his.

Rules seem to change a lot......

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I renewed mine last fall and it also is only for 6 years. How do some get 7 years?

I renewed mine online last time so had to go in and do it and do the eye test this time.

I did my husband's online last summer, and he has a motorcycle endorsement on his.

for some reason, I don't know why, I have hung on to the last 2 licenses that expired. No, they didn't take them.
    issue 2006- expire 2012
    issue 2012- expire 2018
    issue 2018- expire 2024

I seem to have had a 6 year since '06.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a couple of my expired ones in a drawer. They can't take them if you renew online and when I did it at the BMV last fall, they handed it back to me.

After reading some of the recent comments here, it will be interesting to see if they would accept my birth certificate. I'm 90% sure it has no raised seal on it.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need my first marriage license or divorce decree since I had gone back to my maiden name, and my second marriage license used my maiden name. If I need the stuff from my first marriage, I would have to contact two different counties for those documents. I am sure I burned them after he died, and I figured I would never need them again.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I have a couple of my expired ones in a drawer. They can't take them if you renew online and when I did it at the BMV last fall, they handed it back to me.

After reading some of the recent comments here, it will be interesting to see if they would accept my birth certificate. I'm 90% sure it has no raised seal on it.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need my first marriage license or divorce decree since I had gone back to my maiden name, and my second marriage license used my maiden name. If I need the stuff from my first marriage, I would have to contact two different counties for those documents. I am sure I burned them after he died, and I figured I would never need them again.

mine were both handed back to me

Since your second marriage has your maiden name, my guess is you don't need the first one. You just have to prove name changes. if the first isn't on your birth certificate or SS card or anything else you would use for proof of who you are.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My mom is 89, and she never liked the middle name that her mother gave her, and that's on her birth certificate, so she just give herself a new middle name when she was on her own.

That has never been a problem until now. My sister took her to the BMV to get her new license and they said that they couldn't issue her a real ID, since the names don't match. I'm not sure how we'll have to remedy it, but I hope it's not going to be a full-on red-tape situation.

Never leave home without it!

Come to think of it, that's the first time my LTCH has really saved me. It only saved me a trip home and back, but it did save me that.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My mom is 89, and she never liked the middle name that her mother gave her, and that's on her birth certificate, so she just give herself a new middle name when she was on her own.

That has never been a problem until now. My sister took her to the BMV to get her new license and they said that they couldn't issue her a real ID, since the names don't match. I'm not sure how we'll have to remedy it, but I hope it's not going to be a full-on red-tape situation.

Come to think of it, that's the first time my LTCH has really saved me. It only saved me a trip home and back, but it did save me that.

That is the type of issue that is going to be VERY common with older people. What do they do with the ones who were born at home and don't have a birth certificate? My dad was born at home...never had one issued.

My grandma changed her last name but apparently never legally married the man she called her second husband. Her social security card had his last name on it even though there is no record of a marriage license. She also had two different birth dates on different legal documents. She is no longer with us but if she were, these would be significant issues that would be difficult, if not impossible, to correct.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    That is the type of issue that is going to be VERY common with older people. What do they do with the ones who were born at home and don't have a birth certificate? My dad was born at home...never had one issued.

My grandma changed her last name but apparently never legally married the man she called her second husband. Her social security card had his last name on it even though there is no record of a marriage license. She also had two different birth dates on different legal documents. She is no longer with us but if she were, these would be significant issues that would be difficult, if not impossible, to correct.

My grandfather was born at home and just listed as boy Hopper on county records. When he applied for SS they had to find an old neighbor to prove his ID. If there had not been anyone left alive from when he was born who knows. And that was over 20 years ago.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    [/FONT]

LSS: A few years ago, 45 minute trip to a "Sports Bar" (what Boseman, MT titles a gentlemen's club) in a snow storm and a buddy left his DL in his skiing coat. The group walked in, but he had to sit in the foyer. We all were amazed when he walked in over 30 minutes later. They accepted his LTCH to enter.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Yes. Both a regular passport and a passport card. The passport card can't be used for entry and re-entry from foreign countries when flying, but it works for ID.

So, here's what I dont get. If a valid passport qualifies as "real ID", and, in fact, is "higher" than "real ID" in that it allows you to move legally across international borders - why isn't the valid passport the only document you need to submit to get your DL "real ID"?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Faulty memory and suggestion, I guess. I had to renew in 2017. I thought for sure I had gotten the license in 2010. Someone else said 7 years and the math added up to when I thought I got mine. If it's six years, then I must have gotten it in 2011.

Top Bottom