• ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    What is intelligence?
    Does learning something is false or true increase what ever intelligence is?
    Did you learn it or were you told what was true and false?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What is intelligence?
    Does learning something is false or true increase what ever intelligence is?
    Did you learn it or were you told what was true and false?
    General intelligence is just cognitive ability. And I think that works a bit like muscle strength. The research suggests that learning increases intelligence and intelligence increases the ability to learn. But not all thinking works that way.

So I suspect that if you figure out the answer to some problem by thinking it through to a resolution, that process might be more likely to lead to increasing intelligence than just remembering a fact someone tells you.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    General intelligence is just cognitive ability. And I think that works a bit like muscle strength. The research suggests that learning increases intelligence and intelligence increases the ability to learn. But not all thinking works that way.

So I suspect that if you figure out the answer to some problem by thinking it through to a resolution, that process might be more likely to lead to increasing intelligence than just remembering a fact someone tells you.
    I believe you are correct. The questions were directed at a train of thought I was having.

That thought was why do people who learn through being taught think it somehow makes them intelligent,even if what they learned was false?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe you are correct. The questions were directed at a train of thought I was having.

That thought was why do people who learn through being taught think it somehow makes them intelligent,even if what they learned was false?
    It's not correctness that makes the intelligence. Having the ability to retain information is part of general intelligence. Being able to recall quickly is part of that. People can be really smart and have learned a lot, which could be mostly wrong. And I think this is where wisdom shows the difference between just intelligence and the ability to put it to use.

Knowledge is an "is" proposition, and whether stored information is true or not isn't relevant in terms of wisdom. Wisdom, at least the way I'm intending it, is more of an "ought" proposition because it depends on a goal. So wisdom is the capacity to use general intelligence available to achieve the goal. You can be smart and use that intelligence foolishly. Or, you can be not so smart and use what you have wisely.

To illustrate, a guy I used to know has autism. Not high functioning. His IQ is probably approaching 80. His mom prepared him all his life, worked with him as a little kid and taught him life skills until he could survive without her as an adult. So then she died when he was in his 30s. By then he had a job. It didn't pay much. He had an apartment that he could afford. Not the highest standard of living. He paid his bills on time. His goals were modest, which was just to be self-sufficient and make a life for himself. He is not smart by any measure. He's wise.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have all of the answers, but professional standards require me to answer as follows:

It depends.
    I had this manager come up to me one day and before he asked his question he said the answer could only be ‘yes’ or ‘no’. He then asked his question. When he finished I looked at him like I was calculating the answer. Impatient as he was he said: “well!?!?”. His reaction when I replied “it depends”…was priceless.

(That may have been one of the reasons I never got another promotion.)

Top Bottom