• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • payton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Greenwod
    while i do apperciate everyones views. and i do understand how churchs need money to operate. ive been to 2 different churchs that honestly i cant see attending . and honestly they claim were not about money. but plz donate we need 4million dollars for our new what ever they call it.
    and the 2nd church was we need to raise donations for x reasons. by the way our new (whats the proper word/ term for where people are baptizied?) is complete and it only cost 87000 dollars.. see things like that just honestly i dont understand.

maybe the soon to be x wife is right im just too much of an ass.
    payton

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    while i do appreciate everyones views. and i do understand how churchs need money to operate. ive been to 2 different churchs that honestly i cant see attending . and honestly they claim were not about money. but plz donate we need 4million dollars for our new what ever they call it.
    and the 2nd church was we need to raise donations for x reasons. by the way our new (whats the proper word/ term for where people are baptizied?) is complete and it only cost 87000 dollars.. see things like that just honestly i dont understand.

maybe the soon to be x wife is right im just too much of an ass.
    payton

I agree, sometimes way too much money spent on the extravagant. Since moving to the country I have many Amish neighbors and admire their lifestyle. Church is held on a rotating basis in members homes and every Saturday is a neighbor or community help day. I'm not advocating you become Amish but there are other sects who meet on the cheap and do not pay exorbitant salaries to ministers or to the hierarchal administration.

Good Luck

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Community Church of Columbus - Welcome

^^^ I go to the Community Church of Columbus....in Columbus. We don't take offering, instead we have several wooden boxes to drop your "offerings" in without any pressure from anybody. We believe "offerings" are a form of being willing to offer on your own will and not because somebody badgers you or forces you. I also dislike the passing of the plate as I feel pressured into giving "offerings" when I really want to do it on my own free will. You can also wear whatever you want to a point(no bikini's, etc. etc.) and though we have many LEO's who attends, I never carried my gun in so idk how that would work out or not.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What it boils down to:

Obedience. Followers of Christ are taught (implored!) to relenquish control of their lives AND money to Christ. Too many Christians "give their lives" to Christ...but not their money....meaning that thier money has too much of a hold on them...meaning that they're not really turning their life over to Christ...

I'm NOT excusing "frivalous" spending. I believe that is taught against in Scripture (from the standpoint of stewardship). But if you've only attended a church for a few Sundays, how do you know that a certain organization's capital campaign isn't borne out of a real need?

I FIRMLY believe that God uses our material things/monies, and our posession/want of such things as tests of our faith.

Many of us fail.

I also believe that if someone is a Christian (Biblical, not societal), that they will immerse themselves in a local church body AND be a cheerful giver, even above and beyond a regular tithe.

-J-

payton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Greenwod
    ok so i guess my last post does sorta make me sound like a tight wad.. which is honestly not the case i dont mind donating to the church. what does bother me is when the pastor drives a brand new car. the church is bragging bout the 87000 dollars it just spent for a baptistry im sorry but i cant see the need in that. i do understand alot of the churchs spending money on obtaining more land/ rec centers etc. i do understand that but when your already giving x amount and the church tells you its not good enough. wow that seems a little over the top..

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For the sake of "arguement"...which I hope this doesn't turn into. (It shouldn't...everything's been right cordial!)

Why can't a pastor of a church drive a new car? How do you know that it's new? Maybe it's used? Maybe the pastor's wife makes a lot of money? Perhaps they've been saving for 15 years for this vehicle? Perhaps someone GAVE the pastor the vehicle? (Happend to my pastor...someone gave him a new Kia or something)...

I hate to use this phrase...I guess I'm playing 'devil's advocate', so to speak.

And, honestly, just because YOU as an individual can't see the "need" in something that a church does, rest assured that there are plenty of people (who SHOULD be followers of Jesus...following his will in the situation of guiding the church) who evidently thought that $87k was reasonable. Granted, I don't have any idea how much demolition, removal, prep, and installation of a new one costs. I bet it isn't cheap, though. (not trying to justify...just putting out potential reasons) There are MANY sides to every story; we only know a tiny fraction of any given situation.

Here's just a bit of unsolicited advice (worth as much as you're paying for it...) Stop worrying about what other people are doing. Churches are full of PEOPLE. And, as can be found in the pages of Scripture, people are sinners and fall short of the Glory of God. Looking to people will only serve to make a person cynical. Ask me how I know...

-J-

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    My 2 cents, Money hungry churches are a real turn off for me as well. I have looked a lot for one I like but equally important and difficult is finding a church that will teach and challenge a person to grow spiritually.
    I could live with a little financial promotion if I were being fed in other ways and if I was not lead to give to special fund raisers I would not.
    It is awesome to find a balanced church that teaches the true word of God and doesn't do it for excess profit.
    I have found such a place.

Jesus the Messiah - The Blended Church

Have to go back to work now

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Some of you may want to sit down for this.

I was raised in a Church of Christ and have some knowledge and experience in various religions including Catholic, Jehovah’s Witness, Christian Church, Baptist and Greek Orthodox.

Long story short, I stopped going to “church” years ago. The money, the hypocritical tendencies, the clock-watching, the gossip, the jealousy, the crime etc., wasn't bringing me closer to God or his teachings. I can witness those behaviors anywhere, any time… I don’t need to go to church to witness them.

Ever since then, my relationship with God couldn't be stronger. I have a much more meaningful, touching, understanding relationship with him now than I ever did going to any church.

I also believe that if someone is a Christian (Biblical, not societal), that they will immerse themselves in a local church body AND be a cheerful giver, even above and beyond a regular tithe.

Church doesn't have to be held in a building with a steeple. It can be in the middle of a corn field or even a broom closet for that matter. Why is it that you think giving doesn't count unless it's put in some form of a collection plate? Giving doesn't have to go to adding square footage to the west wing, or fresh flowers to the altar. Giving is from the heart and to those who need it. It's a shame that so many people miss that.

Church is where your heart is. If you don't have a personal, one on one relationship with God, then what DO you have?

You are free to think I’m a sinner for not attending “church” by your definition if that’s what you’d like. That is your prerogative. Ultimately, I’ll be judged by Him. And from experiences I’ve had and signs he has shown me, I think He and I are doing just fine.

So Payton, as for where a nice local church as you describe can be found… I wish you luck in finding your answer.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    ok so i guess my last post does sorta make me sound like a tight wad.. which is honestly not the case i dont mind donating to the church. what does bother me is when the pastor drives a brand new car. the church is bragging bout the 87000 dollars it just spent for a baptistry im sorry but i cant see the need in that. i do understand alot of the churchs spending money on obtaining more land/ rec centers etc. i do understand that but when your already giving x amount and the church tells you its not good enough. wow that seems a little over the top..

Our church doesn't even bring in half that much in a year.

payton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Greenwod
    Long story short, I stopped going to “church” years ago. The money, the hypocritical tendencies, the clock-watching, the gossip, the jealousy, the crime etc., wasn't bringing me closer to God or his teachings. I can witness those behaviors anywhere, any time… I don’t need to go to church to witness them.

thank you that pretty much sums it up in a nut shell.

payton

Top Bottom