• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was talking to an acquaintance of mine and he started telling me how next year there was a new law that all ammunition would legally have to have a 6 month shelf life. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know what he is talking about? Thank you for any input.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was talking to an acquaintance of mine and he started telling me how next year there was a new law that all ammunition would legally have to have a 6 month shelf life. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know what he is talking about? Thank you for any input.

Ask him if he knows what he is talking about, then explain it to me :)

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Ask him if he knows what he is talking about, then explain it to me :)
    Sorry, he claims that all ammunition made after next year will be useless after 6 month on the shelf. He said it is some kind of new law. I understand it sounds crazy, I thought it sounded crazy. However, I wanted to check if you folks had heard anything like this. I have a lot of respect for the opinions on this site and I would like to look at him and say that he is a little kooky when it comes to this.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry, he claims that all ammunition made after next year will be useless after 6 month on the shelf. He said it is some kind of new law. I understand it sounds crazy, I thought it sounded crazy. However, I wanted to check if you folks had heard anything like this. I have a lot of respect for the opinions on this site and I would like to look at him and say that he is a little kooky when it comes to this.

Any such law would have been a massive topic of discussion on this and other gun boards. It would have had to make it through votes on both sides of congress and signed by the president. It would have been on the news. No such thing.

Don't worry. Your ammo will still be good for decades rather than 6 months. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Crazy KOOKY!
    0223-katy_perry_updo_bd.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the law he is talking about requires an expiration date to be printed on all new ammunition. once the ammo reaches that date, it must be sent to me for disposal.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like his local gun store was trying to push him into getting some long shelf life ammo while he was in there. Maybe start a rush on ammo at the local stores before the new ammo comes out. This one's right up there with the LTCH going away.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A similiar rumor like that went around in the late 80's, mostly around the gunshows. Many vendors marked primer prices up double and fortunately the rumor was short lived.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I found this Bill which was introduced in the Indiana legislature in 2008. It was called the Ammunition Accountability Act and I believe 18 states had similar bills. This had to do with the encoding of ammunition and was being pushed by the only company that had the technology. Originally it required all uncoded ammunition to be destroyed by July 1, 2011.

Indiana General Assembly

Legislation

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Thanks guys, well that makes me feel quite a bit better. However, what am I gonna do with the 10,000,000 rounds I bought after he told me this?:laugh:

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Well, I am glad at least I gave some people a laugh. I will go to him in the morning and tell him I heard it was true. Maybe he will buy out the state.:D

Top Bottom