• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The more that I listen to some of what Mr Obama has to say, I have to wonder how he has gotten where he is, does he even think about what he's saying, or does he just read the script that he's been handed.

Definitely he's scripted.

Obama's Accomplishments to date video

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqauDMD_6o&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqauD...eature=related[/ame]
    [ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqauD...eature=related"][/ame]

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Most common? I suppose you mean "between our East and West Coastlines", but when a billion Chinese people are speaking Mandarin, that kinda dwarfs the 300,000,000 total US population, I think.

Clearly, I'm not going to change your mind. Dialects, whether NE US, Southern US, London (UK), or Melbourne (Australia) are all forms of English. You go on calling it "American" if you like. Just don't be surprised when people I've never talked to either politely pull you aside to correct you.... or laugh behind your back. :dunno:

Blessings,
    B

I've got to agree. Saying someone speaks American sounds a bit ignorant.

mar_2343

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    NWI
    The more that I listen to some of what Mr Obama has to say, I have to wonder how he has gotten where he is, does he even think about what he's saying, or does he just read the script that he's been handed.
    Hey if O'b has to ad lib ( not read it off the tele prompter ) he messes it up every time, then the next thing you hear is he dosen't understand why everybody took it out of context. If he isn't reading the words coming out of his mouth you get the real unedited BARACK. Just think of all the crackpot liberals he is going to be bring with him if elected :twocents:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    4sarge good find. But still there are so many who think this empty suit is their salvation. That he will be different. Unfortunately I think he will be different and he will more farther left and take away many more of our freedoms in the process.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    **** saying we have/should learn Spanish. I will learn it if im going to be traveling to a Spanish speaking country. English should be our official language. With many different kinds of people immigrating to this country over that past hundreds of years, why do the Mexicans get special treatment? All other immigrants learned our language. Why is Spanish what our kids should learn? Why not Mandarin since like 1/4 of the world is Chinese (yes i know not all of China speaks Mandarin)? Nothing pisses me off more than signs and other crap in Spanish....

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I don't get all yoos sayin' BHO is bad for announcing that we all should learn a second language.
    Just listen to some of these custom titles... like under the username where mine says "plinker"

Scutter01: Si hoc legere scis nimium cruditionis habes
    SavageEagle: Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    4Sarge: Stamus contra malum
    Dogman: Molon Labe

:dunno:

I can understand most other titles.?.?.?.?

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I don't get all yoos sayin' BHO is bad for announcing that we all should learn a second language.
    Just listen to some of these custom titles... like under the username where mine says "plinker"

SavageEagle: Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    4Sarge: Stamus contra malum
    Dogman: Molon Labe

:dunno:

I can understand most other titles.?.?.?.?

OK, you got me, straight from the comic books :D

stamus contra malo"we stand against by evil"The motto of the Jungle Patrol in The Phantom. The phrase actually violates Latin grammar because of a mistranslation from English, as the preposition contra takes the accusative case. The correct Latin rendering of "we stand against evil" would be "stamus contra malum".

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've got to agree. Saying someone speaks American sounds a bit ignorant.

So tell that to the millions of mexicans who refer to their language as Mexican... Or the millions of Australians who refer to their language as Australian. :dunno:

All I'm saying is that no one here by any means speaks proper English. So you dont speak english, you speak a dialect of English. American. Disagree all you want. :thumbsup:

BTW, as for my would-be "plinker", I just wanted to see if you would all look up what it says or just ask.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    So tell that to the millions of mexicans who refer to their language as Mexican... Or the millions of Australians who refer to their language as Australian. :dunno:

All I'm saying is that no one here by any means speaks proper English. So you dont speak English, you speak a dialect of English. American. Disagree all you want. :thumbsup:

I speak Hoosier, and I'm Damn Proud of it :rockwoot:

Good One

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.*
    From an abridged version of Rousseau's "On The Social Contract".

"Were there a nation of gods, their government would be democratic. Such perfect government is not for men."

It's brilliant, and only goes on to justify my belief in an aristocracy or complete monarchy as the best government for the human race. A veritable hegemony.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I'm not saying learning another language is a bad thing. I'm saying when we change things to accommodate people too lazy to learn English when they live in the U.S., it's a bad thing.

Oh, and mine translates as "If you can read this, you're over-educated." :):

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I'm not saying learning another language is a bad thing. I'm saying when we change things to accommodate people too lazy to learn English when they live in the U.S., it's a bad thing.

Oh, and mine translates as "If you can read this, you're over-educated." :):

Scutter... I was being facetious. :chillout:
    ...and thank you for the translation. what language is it?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Scutter... I was being facetious. :chillout:
    ...and thank you for the translation. what language is it?

They are all derived from Latin/Greek. I can thank my forced participation in College Latin - a requirement for us Ancient Romans ;)

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    apparently mine translates to "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery". And I get my translations via "the WIKI". :D For those of us (ME) who are obviously ignorant.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    That would be because if you don't choose, it probably means you didn't understand the question. I don't like it either, but since the bank is a private business, your recourse is to go to the management and voice your opinion-- and hope the person to whom you're speaking respects the fact that this is America- if you don't understand something, it's YOUR responsibility to find a frickin' translator.

Oh, I did; I sent my complaint in my native tongue. Needless to say, I have yet to hear from them. :):

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    apparently mine translates to "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery". And I get my translations via "the WIKI". :D For those of us (ME) who are obviously ignorant.

I grew up in Southern California and had many friends that were Mexican. Not one of them referred to the language their parents often still spoke as "Mexican".

Maybe I've been brainwashed with too much political correctness, but I've never heard anyone -- who wasn't hurling an insult -- refer to the language spoken in Mexico as "Mexican".

BTW, I said it sounded a bit ignorant, not that you were ignorant.:cheers:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Maybe I've been brainwashed with too much political correctness, but I've never heard anyone -- who wasn't hurling an insult -- refer to the language spoken in Mexico as "Mexican".

BTW, I said it sounded a bit ignorant, not that you were ignorant.:cheers:

Oh believe me I mean no insult to anyone, except those who force us to accomodate those who refuse to learn our language and live and work here.

And I didn't mean to refer to your post as calling me ignorant. But there are those out there rolling their eyes at my posts and calling me ignorant but I honestly believe they don't see what I'm saying and where I'm coming from. Maybe what I call our language sounds ignorant, but when it comes down to it, we have taken English and made it our own as other Hispanic Countries have made Spanish their own. Personally, I think we should all learn Native American languages to honor them...

:cheers::patriot:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Molon labe ( mo-lone lah-veh) is reportedly the defiant response of King Leonidas 1 of Sparta to Xerxes 1 of Persia before the battle of Thermopylae (480BC), when Xerxes offered to let the Greeks live if they would lay down their weapons. The words MOLON LABE in Greek (see tattoo, under break room), are inscribed on the marble monument at Thermopylae. The words mean " Come and take them".

Last edited:
    Top Bottom