• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had mentioned it in another thread. But it was a weird one like politics or survival so many might not realize this.

Those disposable handwarmers in the vacuum sealed bags that warm when opened actually have a REALLY short shelf life. Like a year or so. So if you have put any back in a go bag or the like you need to change them out every fall.

I had 2yo warmers I tried to use last winter. Barely put out any heat. When I was auditing my go bags last night to make sure batteries were good, ration bars were still in date, etc I found I had packed these. So I just threw them out. On a whim I just opened one. It was still obviously vacuum sealed so it had not been compromised. After 10 minutes its only putting out about 80*. Normally they run north of 100*

The ones I tried to use last winter were the toe warmers. They put out heat, but not enough to counter the cold.

I'd also be wary of clearance sales. could likely already bee expired on the shelf.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I had mentioned it in another thread. But it was a weird one like politics or survival so many might not realize this.

Those disposable handwarmers in the vacuum sealed bags that warm when opened actually have a REALLY short shelf life. Like a year or so. So if you have put any back in a go bag or the like you need to change them out every fall.

I had 2yo warmers I tried to use last winter. Barely put out any heat. When I was auditing my go bags last night to make sure batteries were good, ration bars were still in date, etc I found I had packed these. So I just threw them out. On a whim I just opened one. It was still obviously vacuum sealed so it had not been compromised. After 10 minutes its only putting out about 80*. Normally they run north of 100*

The ones I tried to use last winter were the toe warmers. They put out heat, but not enough to counter the cold.

I'd also be wary of clearance sales. could likely already bee expired on the shelf.

Good to know, I would have never guessed they expire. Vacuum seal should prevent Oxygen from reacting with Iron causing rust(heat). Packaging must be too porous. I think mine are about 10 years old... oof.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Hmm... I have some scattered about (garage, cars, saddlebags, etc.) that are a few years old. They seem to work fine when I need them.

I always stock up when they’re on clearance though, so I may have never used them when they’re fresh enough to tell a difference.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I always keep them in my motorcycle jacket. Up north I'd leave open ones at the base of the cylinders on the V-twin to help it start later in the day.

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Went to the range a couple of weeks ago, had one in my jacket pocket. Did not seem to last more than couple of hours. Oh well got done what I needed to do. Got more to use before I buy any more.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Hunting last year taught me this. I had some that were rock hard and wouldn't heat up at all. I think its like 4 years or so..

Top Bottom