Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Taxing real property can never be done in a fair equitable manner. A 2 bedroom single bath bungalow in Indy and out in rural Indiana are not the same, but they are the same. On one hand you assess them the same because they are Identical, but their location changes their value when it comes time to collect that tangible assessment upon the sale. So we assess them based on their market location, now someone is being over taxed strictly based on location and not the specifics of the property. Out here I could never recoup an assessment equal to an urban setting on an identical house. No way to tax me fairly. By the same token an urban owner is being over taxed because his real property is being valued differently than my identical real property. You either include location as part of the taxing equation which makes it unfair for one party or you exclude location as part of the equation and it is unfair to the other party.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Taxing real property can never be done in a fair equitable manner. A 2 bedroom single bath bungalow in Indy and out in rural Indiana are not the same, but they are the same. On one hand you assess them the same because they are Identical, but their location changes their value when it comes time to collect that tangible assessment upon the sale. So we assess them based on their market location, now someone is being over taxed strictly based on location and not the specifics of the property. Out here I could never recoup an assessment equal to an urban setting on an identical house. No way to tax me fairly. By the same token an urban owner is being over taxed because his real property is being valued differently than my identical real property. You either include location as part of the taxing equation which makes it unfair for one party or you exclude location as part of the equation and it is unfair to the other party.
    It's almost as if life isn't fair...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Which is why they chose to assess based on market value, a fact that every property has, and the Supreme Court ruled that “fair” whereas they ruled that depreciated value jwas not “fair” and struck that system down.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Which is why they chose to assess based on market value, a fact that every property has, and the Supreme Court ruled that “fair” whereas they ruled that depreciated value jwas not “fair” and struck that system down.
    Unfortunately my home has zero “market value” until I place it on the market. I shouldn’t be taxed until then.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately my home has zero “market value” until I place it on the market. I shouldn’t be taxed until then.
    Then I will offer you zero for it. :lmfao:

That joke said, everything has a market value and selling is not a requirement to to have a market value. Then you are not taxed on market value increase until you sell it and must calculate capital gains taxes. You are assessed taxes for county services based on the market value but not taxed on the market value itself.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

That joke said, everything has a market value and selling is not a requirement to to have a market value. Then you are not taxed on market value increase until you sell it and must calculate capital gains taxes. You are assessed taxes for county services based on the market value but not taxed on the market value itself.
    So you are saying they use fake numbers since it isn’t the actual market value that is taxed?

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana

This is a pretty good description of how it works, but only for primary residences, if they did it for farm ground the farmers couldn’t afford 2% or even close.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is a pretty good description of how it works, but only for primary residences, if they did it for farm ground the farmers couldn’t afford 2% or even close.
    I think the farm ground point is interesting and would like to know what is going on with it. One other point, not all property, even residential, hits the 1%, 2%, or 3% circuit breaker when the tax is calculated.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    I think the farm ground point is interesting and would like to know what is going on with it. One other point, not all property, even residential, hits the 1%, 2%, or 3% circuit breaker when the tax is calculated.
    The state sets a value for farm ground it does get adjusted but is nowhere even close to what present market value is. I believe but don’t quote me it is around 1500.00 an acre. It sells at about 10-20 x that amount. I do not know if businesses are assessed at property market value or not. So basically from what I do know is the that primary residences that do notget any income from the property are assessed at “market value”. I pay 50% what one of my relatives does on his 400+ acre farm and residence.
    Seems patently unfair at face value but there’s more to it I’m sure.
    First off they could not afford 2% or even 1% of the true market value. I would like to see them assessed that way though because then it would get the system changed.

Of course they don’t hit the circuit breaker as that is the assessor’s multiplier to buffer their assessments. If they charge the top % and didn’t raise the assessments enough to cover the budget it would expose they way the system works by having a budget shortfall and we can’t have that now can we? The house always wins.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sometimes SCOTUS is full of ****.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Could you explain what SCOTUS had to do with my post?

Sure.

Regardless which supreme court ruled it, the point remains valid. Courts often get it wrong. When they rule against something YOU like, YOU seem to know they got it wrong. Right? :dunno:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sure.

Regardless which supreme court ruled it, the point remains valid. Courts often get it wrong. When they rule against something YOU like, YOU seem to know they got it wrong. Right? :dunno:
    I have raised the point a few times here, it is hard to discuss issues like this with those that have strong opinions but do not seem to know details of what they are talking about like which courts were involved decisions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have raised the point a few times here, it is hard to discuss issues like this with those that have strong opinions but do not seem to know details of what they are talking about like which courts were involved decisions.
    I knew it was Indiana supreme court. I just said SCOTUS by mistake. Don’t orgasm too hard.

Top Bottom