Posting a picture at 9:30 tonight. Just to make you think....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I will post a picture at 930 tonight. When you see it, think long and hard as you react to it. Then tell us how you will deal with it.

I know this should be in the survival area, but I wanted more people to think. What would your plan be if this is what you saw at first light. You go to bed with storms on the horizon and go to your basement when the warnings go off. Now couple this with 10 degree weather. What is your plan with what you had prepared. Help is hours away and your home offers no protection from the temperatures.

~

~

I try to keep track of the weather and even more so when severe weather threatens. I'd like to think I would make sure I had made ready cold weather clothing in anticipation of the storms. Hopefully, if we survived the storms blessed with health and provisions, I'm going out to see if I can help other survivors get out from under their wreckage.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Another good argument for a bomb shelter. Bury a 20 foot container and you can have comfortable shelter for the whole family and months worth of whatever you'd need. I've checked, they cost about $2000 for a good used one, get some backhoe time and move it in. As it is, I have pretty much everything set up, but it would take some digging it out.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Agree with evilwrench. Have pretty much got stuff stored, will take some digging out - and yeah, the shelter is going to be an issue. For the record, with the Henryville tornado down here - we have already seen localized damage like this. The community pulled together and was back up and running before too long. And the further you were from FEMA, the faster you were up and running. In Washington County - The Sheriff at the time (Claude Combs) and his Emergency Coordinator (Desi) had things well in hand. I had the pleasure of working with them. A TON of volunteers, and folks were back in one piece fairly soon. Took a lot of work, but was doable.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Tornadoes and 10F weather?

I'd be thinking "WTF is this, 'The Day After Tomorrow'?"

Almost! That picture was taken from the back of my in-laws house on November 17th 2013.

The next day is was below freezing and a few days later they had snow covering the area.

We saved enough from that house that was undamaged to fit in pickup truck below the height of the metal sides of the bed. No furniture survived undamaged.

The cold temps added to the destruction by freezing pipes in homes without significant damage due to power outages. Sewage back-flowed into the basements because the lift stations were without power and that basically destroyed whatever was undamaged in the basements. Their house had 7 inches of frozen sewage in the basement a week later.

Top Bottom