• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well I’ll have you know I’m always on official purposes!
    Am I being detained?!?
    iu

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Sect 232.1. No person on US Postal Service property may carry or store firearms, explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons either openly or concealed, Except for official purposes.
    I'm OFFICIALLY Protecting myself, my family and other innocent bystanders from violent criminal psychos.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I would like to have a quality safe inside the vehicle I could access inside the console or in the back where you can't reach or both. Placing the gun inside the safe would not make it legal, but as I understand an officer needs probable cause to search your vehicle. I have read they can search areas you can access, but there is also an "expected right to privacy" in certain conainers like a briefcase with a combination lock etc. If I had a safe in the back bolted down and covered, I could always place the gun there at my stop before the post office and retrieve it after I left. Sure it would still be illegal, but the odds of getting caught are very very slim and one's lawyer might even be able to argue later that you didn't recall it being in the safe. Who knows who put it in there or how long it has been in the safe. A warrant would be required and when I rarely go to the post office, it is usually a quick stop and then gone. It would simply save me from having to go all the way back home to carry the rest of the day. It also seems if you conceal carry well and the penalty is the same in the lot or in the building, one might be safer just leaving it in the holster rather than chancing someone or some camera seeing you remove it and securing it in your vehicle.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I would like to have a quality safe inside the vehicle I could access inside the console or in the back where you can't reach or both. Placing the gun inside the safe would not make it legal, but as I understand an officer needs probable cause to search your vehicle. I have read they can search areas you can access, but there is also an "expected right to privacy" in certain conainers like a briefcase with a combination lock etc. If I had a safe in the back bolted down and covered, I could always place the gun there at my stop before the post office and retrieve it after I left. Sure it would still be illegal, but the odds of getting caught are very very slim and one's lawyer might even be able to argue later that you didn't recall it being in the safe. Who knows who put it in there or how long it has been in the safe. A warrant would be required and when I rarely go to the post office, it is usually a quick stop and then gone. It would simply save me from having to go all the way back home to carry the rest of the day. It also seems if you conceal carry well and the penalty is the same in the lot or in the building, one might be safer just leaving it in the holster rather than chancing someone or some camera seeing you remove it and securing it in your vehicle.
    That sounds very complicated, and I am but a humble ditch digger, therefore I will go with Captain Barbossa and state that I am disinclined to acquiesce to their requests.

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    More trouble than what it is worth.

Top Bottom