• Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Religion involves the worship of a god or gods. Atheism, by definition, is not a religion. No matter how much you can't fathom living without one.

Zealotry is, of course, another matter.
    Religion: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Atheism:
    a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
    b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Probably the wrong thread, but hey....

iu

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Religion: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

By that definition, anything can be a religion. Is Glock a religion now? Or does the word "religion" not mean the same thing that it has meant for centuries?

I guess it depends on the what the meaning of the word "is" is. Bill Clinton would be proud.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    By that definition, anything can be a religion. Is Glock a religion now? Or does the word "religion" not mean the same thing that it has meant for centuries?

I guess it depends on the what the meaning of the word "is" is. Bill Clinton would be proud.

You gotta skip down to the 4th definition in Merriam Webster's dictionary to get to that one.

(MW is the whore of the dictionary world and isn't picky about what definition they let in.)

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Religion involves the worship of a god or gods. Atheism, by definition, is not a religion. No matter how much you can't fathom living without one.

Zealotry is, of course, another matter.

It is a non-theistic religion (which is literally what A-theism means obviously), not unlike Daoism.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I thought this was the Funny Political Picture thread not the "Odd Ball Religious Thread" :dunno: Oh well here's a pic, mods feel free to move it is it's in the wrong place. ;)

ooeFvv-616x400.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom