• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I lived in Hammond and Highland and Griffith for thirty years. I will be back in Highland next week. But you are right, I no longer live there.

Not calling you out, just adding. I've lived in Highland my entire life and I have seen many negative changes in the area outside of Highland.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I grew up in Gary, and understand how rough the region can be... still not acceptable.

Flexing muscle is not a justifiable reason to kick in doors CQB style and deploy flash bangs.

Unfortunately drugs are this areas biggest problem, and our departments do not have the resources to really make a considerable dent in the problem. This is why the SWAT team is used. Essentially in this region that is what our SWAT team is for and sense it is a collective effort, it really focuses in on the area as a whole instead of letting towns flounder and it spreads out the funding for resources since numerous towns contribute. Inappropriate in some areas, yes i agree, but in an area where drugs are the biggest problem and single departments cannot handle it on their own, it is necessary.
    it's not flexing muscle, it's picking up the slack where slack needs to be picked up the most.

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Overused? seriously?

Yes. They used SWAT because they bought about two ounces of marijuana. That's ridiculous. When I lived there kids would walk around with two ounces in their pockets and go smoke in Central Park in Griffith.

Paramilitary units for a little marijuana? :laugh:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Yes. They used SWAT because they bought about two ounces of marijuana. That's ridiculous. When I lived there kids would walk around with two ounces in their pockets and go smoke in Central Park in Griffith.

Paramilitary units for a little marijuana? :laugh:
    This chick had a full blown selling operation. again if you had experience with the town in recent times you would realize that that is a basis for assumption she has a much bigger operation. the fact that they targeted her specifically says a little something about what was goin on. tons of kids there sell drugs, so their targeting says more than just a little weed. also they bought from her directly which means they could have seen the inside of her operation, as well as how she conducted the sales. it really isn't about the amount they bought. they had reason to believe that she had a larger operation, and they were right.

Honestly, very tip of the iceberg on their drug problem.

also times have changed and the town has for the worse.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Yes. 63 grams is about two ounces. Didn't you realize that?

What was the extensive score in drugs and weapons there that required a paramilitary raid?

i misread your post, see my edit. and yes it's more than two ounces, i do realize that.

Also reread the part toward the bottom about the past 14 years, and the lack of organization. exactly what i've been saying..

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i get what you guys are saying, i really do, but that town seriously needed something that their department could not possibly provide. especially with their problem being more deeply rooted than most may think and no viable way of dealing with it alone.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I don't want to speak for IndyDave1776, although I think he thinks the same way I do. I am opposed to the para-militarization of our police forces.

And really, what was this girl's big, full-blown, distribution operation? What did she have?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I don't want to speak for IndyDave1776, although I think he thinks the same way I do. I am opposed to the para-militarization of our police forces.

And really, what was this girl's big, full-blown, distribution operation? What did she have?

I totally understand that.

and i don't know anymore of what they got than you do, but clearly from reading the article you can tell it was more than just some girl selling to a few people. And i didn't mean that she had a full-blown distribution going, sorry, my wording probably wasn't the clearest, i meant that she clearly was a high profile seller.

nothing personal, I'm in college to be a LEO, so it just kind of irks me when people get attitudes and poke fun toward police without a solid basis for those attitudes and comments.

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I totally understand that.

and i don't know anymore of what they got than you do, but clearly from reading the article you can tell it was more than just some girl selling to a few people. And i didn't mean that she had a full-blown distribution going, sorry, my wording probably wasn't the clearest, i meant that she clearly was a high profile seller.

nothing personal, I'm in college to be a LEO, so it just kind of irks me when people get attitudes and poke fun toward police without a solid basis for those attitudes and comments.

If the only thing they're fighting is cannabis there is certainly a solid basis for criticism. I don't care if she's moving a pound a day, there's no justification for the use of SWAT to fight the demon weed marihuana.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If the only thing they're fighting is cannabis there is certainly a solid basis for criticism. I don't care if she's moving a pound a day, there's no justification for the use of SWAT to fight the demon weed marihuana.

They use SWAT teams for drugs raids all over the country. What's the difference, especially for a town that had the potential of dissolving their police department if they weren't careful.

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    They use SWAT teams for drugs raids all over the country. What's the difference, especially for a town that had the potential of dissolving their police department if they weren't careful.

You presuppose that I believe it reasonable for other areas of the country to deploy SWAT to smack down a cannabis seller. I do not. It is an entirely unreasonable response that ought to be condemned by those who oppose literal jackbooted thugs kicking in doors without compelling cause.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm still totally blown away on how actually having to do work can be considered a "morale-booster." :laugh: Also, what is up with these dopers still around here in Indiana. Did they not get the message that two states have legalized marijuana? I'm still shocked that 48 states haven't seen a small, but noticeable increase in transfer students to universities in two states out west.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Full blown drug selling operation....

63 grams of marijuana...

Do you see what does not add up here? The big fish have hundreds of pounds of marijuana or cocaine - not a small enough amount that it can be stuck in a shoe box. The amount that they recovered completely ignores the fact that this type of operation was unnecessary.

They busted down a door and flash banged a residence over 63 grams of marijuana....

They did not need to perform this raid - and the lousy results highlights that monumental information gathering failure on their part. Their raid was a miserable failure, and if those results are held up as proof of that SWAT team's ability, then that SWAT team should not ever perform no-knock raids, because they have proven themselves incapable of making important judgement calls.

Last edited:

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Also, what is up with these dopers still around here in Indiana. Did they not get the message that two states have legalized marijuana? I'm still shocked that 48 states haven't seen a small, but noticeable increase in transfer students to universities in two states out west.

It may surprise you further to learn that most people who use cannabis don't make it the focal point of their lives, and neither are they exclusively university students. Millions of Americans have families, have good careers, and are respected members of society while still enjoying a little THC when it's convenient. These people have roots, and many even like living here in spite of our irrational prohibition.

I don't use cannabis. If cannabis was decriminalized in Indiana tomorrow this wouldn't change. Recognition that decriminalization is the only rational course is wholly independent of any desire for personal use, and that people don't fight for a reasonable drug policy is the only shocking element of the scenario.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

The War on Drugs irks me quite a bit. It has transformed the role of police in this country, for the worse.

Now it is totally ordinary flip through the local news, and see paramilitary raids are happening down the street. Doors breached, grenades tossed at citizens, guns shoved in their faces. FOR PLANTS.

Has all the violent crime dried up in Griffith? I do not consent to my tax money going towards home invasions of non-violent people who want to get high. It makes me SICK.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

As you prepare to enter the profession, it would be wise to develop your understanding of some of the issues held by many of the rest of us:

1. We have observed that when we hand the police a stick to use on criminals it often gets used on us as the criminals stand back laughing about it. Violations of the Fourth Amendment are at the top of the list, including and especially no-knock raids.

2. It gets irritating to see dangerous crime apparently ignored while offenses that are more profitable to the criminal justice system are pursued (i.e., you make more money on drug users than you do on murderers). We want rid of people who are dangerous to us, not profitable to the system.

3. If you have an issue with the attitude of others toward police, you must not be acquainted with most of the police I have encountered.

4. There are two ways to approach your job--as a public servant (i.e., serving the public, not any particular person, not being a doormat) or a public master. If you try the latter, expect pushback--hard pushback.

5. Reasonable people will respect honesty and integrity (this includes the inmates I worked with when I worked for the DOC). There are plenty of lawmen who give us reason to apply that to respecting them for displaying these traits. Unfortunately, the opposite is often true as well. By extension, if you operate with honesty and integrity and don't develop a superiority complex, you will find much less resistance as you do your job.

I can tell you that there are some LEOs in circulation for whom I would do anything I could manage. Unfortunately, they are a minority. There are also several who, if I found them on fire, I wouldn't p*ss on them to put them out. As you are at the front end of your career, I would encourage you to bear in mind that your relationship with the community where you end up serving will be determined fairly early on, especially if it is a smaller department, and it can take a long time to get past a bad start.

Be fair, honest, decent, and use a modicum of courtesy and don't go kicking people's doors in at 0300 (especially in the event of it being the wrong house) when knocking on the door with a warrant will suffice and you will have done much toward building the relationship with the community in which people will make a point of being helpful. Demanding respect rather than earning it, not so much.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom