• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    What you have is the media setting the language up for the future. That way, when the authorities confiscate a regular Joe who's got 4 or 5 firearms, it'll be a "cache" or "horde".

The word "cache" is not used to refer to size or amount. Use of the word in the context of the new piece does not imply anyone thought the firearms found in Burress' home were an especially large quantity. From Merriam Webster's online dictionary:

1cache Pronunciation: \ˈkash\ Function:noun Etymology:French, from cacher to press, hide, from Vulgar Latin *coacticare to press together, from Latin coactare to compel, frequentative of cogere to compel — more at cogentDate:1797 1 a: a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements
    b: a secure place of storage
    2: something hidden or stored in a cache
    3: a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of frequently or recently used instructions or data —called also cache memory

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I beg to differ as I highly doubt most of those watching the news will consult the dictionary. What they will hear is "cache" and the mental image they will get is Waco.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I beg to differ as I highly doubt most of those watching the news will consult the dictionary. What they will hear is "cache" and the mental image they will get is Waco.

Exactly. At the risk of sounding like I am reaching for my tin-foil hat, there does seem to be some (not so) subtle Pavlovian conditioning in the language used in advocat...I mean "reporting" the news. It is a typical pattern; needlessly sensationalize, then criminalize. Why do you think Indiana has a law banning "Chinese throwing stars"? (So I only use 'Japanese tossing squares' for the :mallninja: missions I do for the Shogun! :p)

What you have is the media setting the language up for the future. That way, when the authorities confiscate a regular Joe who's got 4 or 5 firearms, it'll be a "cache" or "horde". ...the media and NYC are treating guns as crimes. Simply having the audacity to possess a firearm makes one a criminal.

This has already happened in the UK.
    "Gun culture" = gun crime = gun ownership :puke:

The short version: Guns=crime=guncrime.

Wow, this sounds familiar. It is like the media is acting like one big ministry of the truth, and is teaching us new ways to speak! How nice of them! :koolaid:

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    The lesson to be learned from Plaxico is to not reside in NY.

Did you even read the original post in this thread??? He lives in Totowa, New Jersey, not New York City, or anywhere else in New York. The firearms are not even necessarily illegal if he had them properly registered are required by the State of New Jersey.

Its seems that people on this forum accuse the media of using langauge that distrorts reality when they themselves cannot get the story straight and/or don't know the meaning of the words they condemn.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    What a stupid article. It didn't even mention whether or not his Posse was in effect!

While we all support Mr. Burress's second amendment rights, you can not support him for carrying a gun without a permit. You jumped through the necessary hoops to get yours so you should demand that anyone who carries do so as well. Otherwise, rip up your permit and carry without one. The 9mm they siezed was no doubt evidence in the case against him. Not sure why they took the rifle or his paper clips, but he can sue to get them back if he thinks the cops were overstepping their authority, which in NY and NJ is considerable. Don't like the laws there? Then move to America.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The firearms are not even necessarily illegal if he had them properly registered are required by the State of New Jersey.

They would be illegal in NYC. People have been arrested at the airport for re-checking in a legal, legally transported handgun when delayed for not having a handgun that was licensed in NYC. About the only way for it to be legal would be if you were passing through and it was legal where you were from and legal where you were going and it was locked in a case, unloaded, in your trunk. Even then you might get arrested and have to go to court to prove it.

Move to America, so true! :patriot:

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    They would be illegal in NYC. People have been arrested at the airport for re-checking in a legal, legally transported handgun when delayed for not having a handgun that was licensed in NYC. About the only way for it to be legal would be if you were passing through and it was legal where you were from and legal where you were going and it was locked in a case, unloaded, in your trunk. Even then you might get arrested and have to go to court to prove it.

Move to America, so true! :patriot:

Yes, they might well be illegal in NYC but that simply doesn't matter because, as per my earlier post, the guns were not recovered from him in NYC. They were taken from his house in NEW JERSEY. In case you are not aware, New York City is in the state of New York, not the state of New Jersey. As far as we know, the only gun he had in NYC was the .40 caliber Glock with which he shot himself.

Top Bottom