• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Why use a second party hosting site in the first place? Again, look at the time and effort doddg had to put into learning to post a photo. Other sites seem capable of making the task intuitive and simple. I do not use photo bucket (never did) and I have no interest in setting up an IMGUR account. I suspect I am not the only one who does not want to deal with setting up another account on another site. Like you, Just my :twocents:. I have no bone to pick. Just wonder why this site prefers to make things difficult, when others make it so simple.

I think it boils down to cost, honestly. I used to mod for a tech forum back in the day and they didn't allow image uploads for that reason. Each forum has their own reasons for stuff, not sure what the reason is here, so I can only speculate. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why use a second party hosting site in the first place? Again, look at the time and effort doddg had to put into learning to post a photo. Other sites seem capable of making the task intuitive and simple. I do not use photo bucket (never did) and I have no interest in setting up an IMGUR account. I suspect I am not the only one who does not want to deal with setting up another account on another site. Like you, Just my :twocents:. I have no bone to pick. Just wonder why this site prefers to make things difficult, when others make it so simple.

Seriously, we do not choose to make things difficult. It is just the way this site is Formatted. V bulletin is what runs the site. Not a new Format by any means. Ingo used to be a car Forum. Fenway bought it and started Ingo from it. What, 9 years ago. Same format we use today.
    As long as it runs this is what it will be.

So if you do not want to set up an Imgur account then why complain. I have one. It is easy and you can make it private.
    Of the thousands of members that have no issue doing the 3rd party pic thing I guess we need to change it around for the few who are not on board. No knock on your thinking but seriously.

Really folks, it is so easy to post up a pic. If I can do it, anybody can.

Not sure what it would cost to upgrade to something more comfortable to use but this site is easy to navigate.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Seriously, we do not choose to make things difficult. It is just the way this site is Formatted. V bulletin is what runs the site. Not a new Format by any means. Ingo used to be a car Forum. Fenway bought it and started Ingo from it. What, 9 years ago. Same format we use today.
    As long as it runs this is what it will be.

So if you do not want to set up an Imgur account then why complain. I have one. It is easy and you can make it private.
    Of the thousands of members that have no issue doing the 3rd party pic thing I guess we need to change it around for the few who are not on board. No knock on your thinking but seriously.

Really folks, it is so easy to post up a pic. If I can do it, anybody can.

Not sure what it would cost to upgrade to something more comfortable to use but this site is easy to navigate.

Understood, Church. Just curious and tossing out my opinion. So far I have been able to post up something here when I needed to do so, but it really is a pain in the backside. Also, I have zero knowledge of how a website works, or of the complications in operating one.

"Easy to navigate" is a relative term. You are comfortable and adept on this system. Cool. I find the photo system not "easy to navigate." Obviously, your skill level exceeds mine in living in cyber space as it does in all things 1911.

I mentioned it because Doddg's experience demonstrated the frustrations I have experienced, and the challenges required to post a photo. Read through it again and notice that it took a good bit of effort from a number of members to get him up to speed. Note, too, he commented that by the time he needs to do it again he doubts he will be able to repeat the process. Does that really meet your criteria for "easy to navigate"?

This is a good forum, and I learn a great deal from it. I will continue to use it. Good folks here, for the most part; and I appreciate your work, Church, in keeping it that way. If by mentioning something that I think can be improved I am labeled a "complainer," then folks here need to re-think their approach. If a problem is never mentioned, it cannot be addressed. In this case, it seems the fix for the problem is unreasonable. Cool. Thanks for the info.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can post any pic from the 'net (including Imgur) by right clicking the photo you want to post, and choose "Copy Image Location" (left click that choice). Then come back to your post on INGO, choose the Insert Image icon above your post, choose "From URL" option, and uncheck the box that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" then hit "Paste" in the box provided for the url (Ctrl + V or Edit, Paste or Right click, Paste). The url of the photo should then show (and should end in .jpg or possibly .gif). Repeat as needed, then submit your post. At least that's how I do it. Note this probably doesn't work for anything stored on Photobucket anymore since they got stingy about remote linking from their site.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You can post any pic from the 'net (including Imgur) by right clicking the photo you want to post, and choose "Copy Image Location" (left click that choice). Then come back to your post on INGO, choose the Insert Image icon above your post, choose "From URL" option, and uncheck the box that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" then hit "Paste" in the box provided for the url (Ctrl + V or Edit, Paste or Right click, Paste). The url of the photo should then show (and should end in .jpg or possibly .gif). Repeat as needed, then submit your post. At least that's how I do it. Note this probably doesn't work for anything stored on Photobucket anymore since they got stingy about remote linking from their site.

I will keep that for future reference. Thanks.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    One thing I'll recommend is to either write down the instructions that worked for you, or put it in a Word doc on your desktop, so that you have something to refer back to. Not everyone is a computer genius and there's nothing at all wrong with having a "cheat sheet" to refer back to. Once you do it a few times, it should become second nature. If, however, you don't post pics often and go a long time in between, having instructions can be very helpful. Just a suggestion that I hope will help.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Oh, how simple! Can't wait to try it!
    2. That's the kind of thing I am timorous about: clicking and trying out options: sometimes I end up in cmp hell when I do, at work or at home.
    3. I have a cmp geek son-in-law who solves all my cmp issues when he visits from TN.
    4. I always have a list of things for hiim to address. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One thing I'll recommend is to either write down the instructions that worked for you, or put it in a Word doc on your desktop, so that you have something to refer back to. Not everyone is a computer genius and there's nothing at all wrong with having a "cheat sheet" to refer back to. Once you do it a few times, it should become second nature. If, however, you don't post pics often and go a long time in between, having instructions can be very helpful. Just a suggestion that I hope will help.

1. Yes! :coffee:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Understood, Church. Just curious and tossing out my opinion. So far I have been able to post up something here when I needed to do so, but it really is a pain in the backside. Also, I have zero knowledge of how a website works, or of the complications in operating one.

"Easy to navigate" is a relative term. You are comfortable and adept on this system. Cool. I find the photo system not "easy to navigate." Obviously, your skill level exceeds mine in living in cyber space as it does in all things 1911.

I mentioned it because Doddg's experience demonstrated the frustrations I have experienced, and the challenges required to post a photo. Read through it again and notice that it took a good bit of effort from a number of members to get him up to speed. Note, too, he commented that by the time he needs to do it again he doubts he will be able to repeat the process. Does that really meet your criteria for "easy to navigate"?

This is a good forum, and I learn a great deal from it. I will continue to use it. Good folks here, for the most part; and I appreciate your work, Church, in keeping it that way. If by mentioning something that I think can be improved I am labeled a "complainer," then folks here need to re-think their approach. If a problem is never mentioned, it cannot be addressed. In this case, it seems the fix for the problem is unreasonable. Cool. Thanks for the info.

1. Hi guys! And thanks so much for your help: sincerely appreciated.
    2. I used to have these issues with my car club: S2KCA, and photobucket solved them (then photobucket started being an issue with a new cmp :dunno:)
    3. Human error and ignorance, I'm sure.
    4. What puzzles me is when I upload a pic just fine from my cmp using the "insert image" icon here, but then the next one will not.
    5. I'm sure that must be related to how it is being saved.
    6. When I get to a screen where i can rotate my pic that I sent to me email by phone, then save it to my cmp, then use the "insert image" icon and click on "from cmp" it will act like it is loading, but no image comes up.
    7. I have even gone back to reduce the size of the pic in case that was the issue.
    8. Well, at least I have new tools now to apply thanks to everyone here and my son-in-law will add the icing to the cake.
    9. When it comes to my car site, they changed formats, things were up in arms for awhile, but I noticed loading up pics got simple: copy and paste.
    10. I know much of it has to do with me; I can't even find pics I have taken and saved in my cmp sometimes b/c I don't know where it has put them and I have to go hunting. :dunno:
    11. At work, people see me about how to do cmp things b/c over time you learn to do something (which always is just 3 clicks out of 100), but the other day I couldn't show someone how to create and "group" of teachers in the email b/c I had done it 3 yrs. earlier and forgot how (clicked on everything). I think they moved the cheese. (old management book)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Totally understand. No knock intended towards you or anybody that struggles withy this issue.

I guess that if you knew just how much of a klutz I really am with a computer it would be laughable. Seriously. I can motorboat around the web but my Google-Fu is weak by comparison to many. In this when I say if "I" can do it anybody can is a true statement. Heck I just recently started using my phone to check the site. I still do not manipulate anything from either mobile device yet. So just know it really is not all that hard to do. Truth here.

Get an Imgur account. It takes all of 5 minutes to open one up. It is pretty much self explanatory.
    Once established you will see a "New posts" in green at the top right next to the title word Imgur. Put cursor there and the drop down shows 3 selections. choose upload and it will take you to a page with "Browse".....click that and right to your pics in your computer if you store them in there. Click on the pic desired, hit Open and bingo it is now on Imgure.
    When it loads on the site put the cursor on the pic and a drop down shows share. Select and pick the BB code of the 4 selections.
    Go to ingo and right click where you want the pic and paste.

It sounds complicated but it really is not. Once you do it a few times it is a breeze.

I found, uploaded and shared this pic in just a few strokes of the magic wand.....:)

SrggF9G.jpg

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

This is called "hot linking" and a lot of sites disallow it. It would still show up on your computer as the image, or it's relative location, is still in your cache (kind of an online memory for your browser). Other people wouldn't see the pic.
    This does work most of the time but if for some reason it doesn't this could be why.

Personally I'm not a fan of the way pics are "normally" done in the classifieds. I have my own web servers so I link straight from them. It gives me tons of control.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've not had this problem. Not sure if it makes a difference using a photo hosting website like photobucket, that's what I do. If anything, I probably post too many because I'd rather that a potential buyer can see whatever detail he's looking for. Sometimes photobucket has issues, but other than that, no problems on this website.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In the spirit of trying the imgur, this pic was from a funny Yahoo post this am on their front news page about the dangers of dying during sex and this was the pic to get your attention if the title wasn't enough: I thought the article was hilarious.

Well, using the "insert image" didn't work (again), but maybe it's my cmp.
    I'll try the imgur approach.
    Well, after I pasted the link and saved the post, it appeared.
    I guess I'll have to go back and figure out the size issue now. :laugh:

I took out the huge pic and put this in, but didn't see an easy way on imgur to do sizing.

PIC DELETED

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't see a place to have different size pics
    Maybe that is when you load it up, but I thought there was a place on imgur

Top Bottom