• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Heeyyyy, that house cat just ate my cougar!

OMG!!
    Which one??

cougar_town_wallpaper_1280x1024_2.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If there is no mistaking it why have multiple people in this thread called it a house cat and others a cougar? You want it to be a cougar, fine it is a cougar.

I think you're either intentionally or unintentionally misinterpreting my comments. It is VERY easy to misidentify something based upon a photograph, especially if there isn't a credible size-reference in the photo. It's much more easy to properly identify SIZE of something in person, even at a distance... Are people calling it a house-cat based upon the picture that IMHO has very little credible size referrence in it? Absolutely

Are you seriously implying that a person that was there in the flesh (IE, the person that took the picture and reported it) and knows the surroundings (for accurate size referrence purposes) can't distinguish between a house-cat and a cougar?

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Are you seriously implying that a person that was there in the flesh (IE, the person that took the picture and reported it) and knows the surroundings (for accurate size referrence purposes) can't distinguish between a house-cat and a cougar?

Yes

You can't believe someone who has never seen a cougar can make that mistake?

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes

You can't believe someone who has never seen a cougar can make that mistake?

I never once said that... realistically, how many people have NEVER seen a cougar? They're in zoos and animal parks all over this country. We see them on the news and everywhere else. I think it's absurd to imply that people can judge a picture and claim they know better what an animal is than the person that took the picture and saw it with their own eyes...

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, the photo is relatively small (at least those linked here). And original photo of a good, scalable size would be immensely helpful.

At the subjective distance shown and for the small size of the image, it appears to be a domestic feline, and not a 'huge' one. The proportions, stance, head shape, tail, etc. look more like a house cat, as DNR stated.

Of course, it IS 'just barely possible' that some yabo simply photoshopped an 'oversize' image of a house cat into the photo, and intentionally showed it 'at distance' to try and make the cat appear larger and not easily discernable.

If it were a big cat, the stance, head shape, profile, etc. would eliminate cougar and make it more likely to be a tiger, likely female. No stripes visible, and no 'orange' coloring.

Pretty sure if a large, female, 'stripeless tiger' was roaming around Indiana, there'd be at least a better picture or 3(0,000). :laugh:

Top Bottom