central indiana
    312 IAC 9-2-1 Taking, chasing, and possessing wild animals
    Authority: IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22
    Sec. 1. A person must not:
    (1) take;
    (2) chase; or
    (3) possess;
    a wild animal except as provided by statute or by this article. (Natural Resources Commission; 312 IAC 9-2-1; filed May 12, 1997,
    10:00 a.m.: 20 IR 2700; readopted filed Jul 28, 2003, 12:00 p.m.: 27 IR 286; filed Jun 23, 2006, 2:24 p.m.: 20060719-IR-
    312050214FRA; readopted filed Nov 24, 2008, 11:08 a.m.: 20081210-IR-312080672RFA; readopted filed May 20, 2014, 9:43
    a.m.: 20140618-IR-312140017RFA)

312 IAC 9-3-18.5 Exotic mammals
    Authority: IC 14-22-2-6; IC 14-22-32-6
    Affected: IC 14-8-2-278; IC 14-22-20; IC 14-22-20.5; IC 15-17-5
    Sec. 18.5. (a) An individual must not take, as defined by IC 14-8-2-278, an exotic mammal that is a species from any of the
    following families of mammals:
    (1) Bradypodidae (tree sloth).
    (2) Bovidae (gazelle, bighorn sheep, antelope, and wildebeest), except for domestic cattle (genus Bos, including all dairy and
    beef animals) and buffalo (Bison bison).
    (3) Camelidae (camel and llama).
    (4) Canidae (jackal, wild dog, and other exotic foxes).
    (5) Cebidae (marmoset).
    (6) Cercopithecidae (baboon and monkey).
    (7) Cervidae (elk, moose, caribou, and other exotic deer).
    (8) Dasypodidae (armadillo).
    (9) Elephantidae (elephant).
    (10) Equidae (wild horse and zebra), except for domestic horses.
    (11) Felidae (mountain lion, lynx, tiger, and other exotic cats).
    (12) Giraffidae (giraffe and okapi).
    (13) Hippopotamidae (hippopotamus).
    (14) Hyaenidae (hyaena).
    (15) Macropodidae (kangaroo and wallaby).
    (16) Myrmecophagidae (anteater).
    (17) Orycteropodidae (aardvark).
    (18) Pongidae (chimpanzee, bonobo, and gorilla).
    (19) Procaviidae (hyrax).
    (20) Protelidae (aardwolf).
    (21) Rhinocerotidae (rhinoceros).
    (22) Tapiridae (tapir).
    (23) Tragulidae (chevrotain).
    (24) Ursidae (bear).
    (25) A hybrid or genetically altered mammal of any of these families.
    Exempted from thissection are the following species of mammalsthat are not considered to be exotic mammals: white-tailed deer,
    bobcat, red fox, gray fox, and coyote.
    (b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), an individual may take an exotic mammal only if the exotic mammal is:
    (1) taken by a resident landowner or tenant while destroying or causing substantial damage to property that is owned or
    leased by the landowner or tenant;
    (2) a species from the family bovidae, camelidae, or cervidae and slaughtered in accordance with IC 15-17-5; or
    (3) an animal that has escaped from captivity into the wild and is a known immediate threat to:
    (A) public safety; or
    (B) the health of wild animals as verified by the Indiana state board of animal health.
    (c) A person may possess an exotic mammal that is a species from a family listed in subsection (a) only as follows:
    (1) Wild cats, except feral cats, in the family Felidae, purebred wolvesin the familyCanidae, and bearsin the familyUrsidae

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    (10) Equidae (wild horse and zebra), except for domestic horses.

Facepalm.. I think the DNR just said it was cool to shoot horses....

I think it's cool that these sighting are happening. Mother nature, bouncing back a little, or at least showing us her creatures are more resilient and adaptable than we think.

Living in the mountains of South Carolina now, the same thing is happening here. DNR say there are now Mtn. cats around, but just looking at the landscape, it's nearly impossible to think that 1-2 aren't prowling around..

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Legal or not, that thing is one of natures finest predators and I have three small children that play in my yard along with many other small neighbor kids. I'd be really worried if it had been sighted at or near my residence.

I know a guy who grew up in the area we live and we debate who lives in a more secluded area but truth is we both do and he even use to live right down the road from where we live now so when he says they are equal I tend to agree with him. He has young Grand children and absolutely will not let them play in the yard without him or someone with them who is carrying. Now, I respect this guy a lot and he gets out there deep in the forest to hunt so I respect his opinion. He was telling me it was good that I always carry when I run my dogs and even when I hunt without them. His personal stories reinforce that decision. I was told the Wolves can get between you and your dogs even at close ranges. You debate that a bit until one day a big one crosses your path at close range, then you believe it. As much as these guys respect or dislike the wolves, the Cougars are the spookiest to them. So I now look up in trees as much as I look ahead in dense thickets. One was seen hanging around our place for 2 years but not since we have moved here. Out of the 6 predators we have here, the Cougar is the one you just don't want to get close to.

On a side note my better half had a special discount offered at work from Beretta on certain handguns and long guns. The deal was limited to 3 guns but so good you had to do it so we grabbed 3 Nano's to have as extra carry guns. Seems many did not hear about the deal until we acted on it. After that A LOT of coworkers got larger guns but even though many of them hunt and own plenty of guns a lot of them don't carry. Now they do and many because of the Wolves, not criminals. The mix of predators, kids and pets is a serious one.

As for your pic, that is the rare and little talked about Short Eared Yellow Lab. Just a big sweetie, you can hug him and hold him and kiss him. Just a big cuddle bunny.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    From CO on linked website said:
    I sent the a screenshot of the photo to a few people that know about various types of cats. They all advised that you have a picture of a large domestic cat.

I doesn't look like a housecat. And I can't help but think of years ago when they had one in Decatur. Once it was finally caught on tape in a field behind somebody's house they sent the video to the Ft Wayne news. Like the thorough days of journalism back then, they called in the Adams County CO and the big-cat expert at the zoo. Sat them both down (I assume seperately) and asked them what they thought of it. Adams County CO said, "That is either a large domestic house cat or a bobcat, there is nothing to worry about, there are no large cats in the Decatur area". Next, they asked the zoo's cat expert, he went into full details about the tail, stature, how the cat moved, how it jumped and said it was DEFINITELY a large cat in the panther family. Funny how CO's have a tendency to lie through their teeth to keep these things a secret.

BTW, I think the person that took that photo needs to stand a person out there in the exact place the cat is in the photo and snap a reference picture. That would make it a whole lot more clear if it's really a big-cat or not.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Feral cat, nothing more, nothing less. Big one, no doubt ... but that is NOT a cougar, mountain lion, panther or any other name you want to call it.

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    :rolleyes:
    Oh, a real tough guy

Gunsisgood just a guy who owns the property he hunts and is tired of "invasive" species wandering onto said property. Lived here for 55 years and have grown tired of other folks "pets" using the wildlife on my place for food or amusement.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I want to know the mower the guy used. If it's a push mower that cat is 20 inches long. If it's a big commercial mower well....

This was discussed on fb with some friends the other day. I'm not opposed to the idea that there are big cats in NE IN but I don't think the one in the picture is one.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Found this online:
    TrackDiagram.jpg

The track appears to be that of a dog or a coyote (going by this reference).

I have no doubt that there could be a cougar running loose in that area. It may have been a pet that was dumped by an unfit or illegal owner, or a wild cat pushing into new terriroty. The cougar used to be found naturally in Indiana, up to about 1860 or so. It would not be outside the scope of possibilty to see one here again.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    There are mountain lions in Indiana and have been since there have been mountain lions. The population isn't large but it is far larger than the DNR would ever admit. This idea that if one is spotted it is probably a released pet is moronic. Just as the alligators that appeared in the rivers around here a few years ago were all released pets was moronic. If that is the case where are all these alligators today? Did people stop keeping them as pets and releasing them?

Or is it much more likely that other forces caused them to seek new places to live? Perhaps hurricanes, drought, or something else pushed them to look around (and I think it was the heat wave. Colder now and no sightings of alligators on the White river or Kankakee rivers. No sharks caught on the upper Mississippi or Lake Pepin, WI).

These cats travel great distances and colonize areas all over the place. They may create self sustaining populations but most of the time do not.

And I have seen a cougar in Brownsburg, under a street light that left tracks in the snow. I didn't need to send pictures to the CO or the paper to confirm it. It was 20 feet from my car. I've also seen a bobcat in Brownsburg. Both were very much in town and not out in the country.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    There are mountain lions in Indiana and have been since there have been mountain lions. The population isn't large but it is far larger than the DNR would ever admit. This idea that if one is spotted it is probably a released pet is moronic. Just as the alligators that appeared in the rivers around here a few years ago were all released pets was moronic. If that is the case where are all these alligators today? Did people stop keeping them as pets and releasing them?

Or is it much more likely that other forces caused them to seek new places to live? Perhaps hurricanes, drought, or something else pushed them to look around (and I think it was the heat wave. Colder now and no sightings of alligators on the White river or Kankakee rivers. No sharks caught on the upper Mississippi or Lake Pepin, WI).

These cats travel great distances and colonize areas all over the place. They may create self sustaining populations but most of the time do not.

And I have seen a cougar in Brownsburg, under a street light that left tracks in the snow. I didn't need to send pictures to the CO or the paper to confirm it. It was 20 feet from my car. I've also seen a bobcat in Brownsburg. Both were very much in town and not out in the country.

Wasn't it last summer or the one before that there was a mountain lion warning out near Crane Naval Warfare Center by Bloomington?

A coworker of my dad's says he has seen a mountain lion numerous times on the way to work in Seymour... Can't remember if dad said he finally got a pic of it or not.

Top Bottom