• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Decided to customize the look of my XD a bit. What do you think?

qphu6o.jpg

5cnjbk.jpg

syvvo3.jpg

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    nice. one of my G34's is highlighted like that. it was done prior to my acquiring it. i'm still saving up to have my bbq pistol engraved.

looks great, scutter.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    He put pink on mine and I have to say that the white looks better. You can see it better.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I know about candy time. The wife is off with the grand kids and I am on the porch with my laptop. Slow area. I have had 3 in 45 minutes.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My folks haven't had a trick-or-treater since the hay wagon stopped taking kids from farm to farm..

I'm expecting about a dozen of the neighbor kids. One family is BRINGING candy to me, too! Can't wait to see those little ones!!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm outside handing out candy too. This year, I decided on the full size candy bars. I have approximately 100 candy bars. I had to keep the carmellos out :D Scutter is out walking with our daughter and two of her friends. He was told to walk behind them. hehehehe They are nine-ish. We've had some pretty good costumes this year. There was a couple of kids that came as a pair of dice. They were cute. Trick-or-treating though started at 5 and it was way too light out. The girls didn't leave until about 6:20 and it's still light out even at 6:45 as I'm writing this. Sigh... Trick-or-treating should be in the dark. It's getting chilly now too but I'll take this weather over the weather we have had the past few years.

Oh wait. Did I just threadjack this thread? Sorry... Movin' on...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Gotta continue the derail to say that there was an older couple in lawn chairs on the sidewalk just chucking fistfuls of candy at clumps of kids. They said they were dressed up, too...they were a reverse parade.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How did you do it?

I just used regular acrylic model paint from the hobby store. There are actually a couple of ways to do it such as with a lacquer stick or nail polish. I chose to go with model paint because it's reasonably easy to clean off with thinner. I'm fairly certain that gun solvent won't remove it, which is good, but I haven't tested that yet. If it does ruin it, I will probably go to a lacquer stick next. You can even use a crayon if you want, but when the slide heats up it may cause the color to run. It's a good way to test the color before using paint or a lacquer stick, though.

I cleaned the slide carefully with some rubbing alcohol and cotton pads, and then I took a *very* fine point brush and carefully dabbed paint into the channels. The trick is not to just slob paint on because it makes it hard to clean the excess off and it leaves air bubbles in the grooves. Use a tiny bit at a time and go slow.

Once I painted, I let it dry for a few seconds, then I took a cut-out square of printer paper with about a drop of thinner on it and wiped off the excess paint. This is important: Use printer paper or newspaper because its flat and it doesn't have stray fibers like a cloth does. The stray fibers will draw the paint back out of the grooves.

Make sure you cut the paper, don't tear it. It keeps the paper fibers on the edges to a minimum. I cut 1.5" squares. I would put a drop or two of thinner on it and then smear it off on a paper towel to just have the bare minimum thinner on the paper. Remember, the goal is to pull off the excess paint only. Dispose of the paper and get a new sheet frequently.

You may have to re-do a section if you pull too much paint off. If you do, make sure to let the first coat dry before you add a second coat.

I finished with a silicone cloth to polish.

As indicated previously, I did Spasmo's G26 as well, but she wanted a darker color so it's harder to see. I wanted a color that would pop more so I went with plain white. I'll post a pic of the Glock later.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Great job on the detailing. How long did that take to do?

I tried to buy a XD9SC yesterday while shopping for the wife something that fit her. Her hands were too small for the grip on the XD. I should have bought it for myself but passed instead.

Top Bottom