• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm still not completely ready for OC. But, I'm to the point where if it's showing, I won't try to cover it. Me and a friend go to the Bank to get some money for a going away party for our friend (Ships off to The NAVY today)

When I get out of the car my pistol's in the wide open (4 o'clock). I'm trying not to care, so I leave it. Walk up to the ATM and another guy gets RIGHT UP BEHIND ME as the machine is flip flip flip flip flip fliping out 160 in 20's. I told my friend standing beside me to move over to my right side, he finally noticed and got between him and my gun. I finished and stood guard little ways away while my friend got his money.

What do you do when something like that happens?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    This is a perfect example why I have never OCed in the past 30 years. You are just advertising. If your friend was not with you CC would have been the answer. I am not trying to be an ass, but I see no positive points to OC.

Last edited:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I would prefer CC. No sense advertising.

If the hair on the back of my neck starts to stand up or if the person gets just a little too close I might ask them to back-up a bit.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Cancel the transaction and have HIM go before you. And get in HIS space just like he did to you.

As for the poster who said "advertising" and there is no benefit to OC -

I'll say this:

I'm much more aware of my surroundings OC'ing than when I CC.

It's the way it is. You WILL pay more attention with a gun on your hip than you will with it jammed inside your pants.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm still not completely ready for OC. But, I'm to the point where if it's showing, I won't try to cover it. Me and a friend go to the Bank to get some money for a going away party for our friend (Ships off to The NAVY today)

When I get out of the car my pistol's in the wide open (4 o'clock). I'm trying not to care, so I leave it. Walk up to the ATM and another guy gets RIGHT UP BEHIND ME as the machine is flip flip flip flip flip fliping out 160 in 20's. I told my friend standing beside me to move over to my right side, he finally noticed and got between him and my gun. I finished and stood guard little ways away while my friend got his money.

Does not matter if I'm carrying or not, I consider things such as a ATM restricted area if they get inside of 6 feet. I have no problem turning and asking a person to grant me some private space while doing my business or I consider it an attempt to see my card number and pin.

If they have a problem with that I'll just tell them they're S.O.L. until they do.

I even went as far one time to returning the favor to a sideler, asking if he felt comfortable with me there.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Turn the gun toward the ATM and look the guy in the eye and tell him to back up. Polite but firm. He is not practicing good form doing that to anyone. Drap your arm over the butt of the gun so that it is covered. This leaves a hand free near the money and the guy has been asked to back up.

I don't see this an as OC v. CC issue. If your shirt or jacket is covering the gun and you are printing how much more secure are you really? Perhaps even over confident that the gun is concealed.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    This is why I prefer to go the ATM drive-up style or with my personal space pass (aka. german shepherd dog). Nobody seems to go too close when I have that dog with me.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Make of it what you will, but for my :twocents: OC is like wearing a shirt with gun advertising on it. I prefer the clandestine approach with the radar on full all the time.

No sense in giving any advantage away to a bad guy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Keep the arm or elbow between you and the crowder while repositioning youself to stare at them and request some space. They likely didn't even notice the gun.

If anyone wants to debate OC vs. CC I'll meet them in an existing on-topic thread or you can start a new one.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Keep the arm or elbow between you and the crowder while repositioning youself to stare at them and request some space. They likely didn't even notice the gun.

If anyone wants to debate OC vs. CC I'll meet them in an existing on-topic thread or you can start a new one.

Amen.:):
    This arguement needs binding arbitration.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would deploy the tactical fart.

OK, THAT'S worth a rep! I'm not sure I'd do that, though, for fear of "disqualifying myself" (:poop:)

To the OP, I agree with the suggestion of turning to look them in the eye as they approach that close and stating, not asking, "Excuse me. I need you to back up a few feet while I finish my business here. I won't be long."

If they refuse, I'll either end my transaction or have my hand near the pistol (if not on it) and my body bladed to the machine, left hand reaching for my money and card, depending on where in the withdrawal I am.

I don't often use walk-up machines either, for exactly this reason; I can't control when someone else will approach.

Blessings,
    Bill

DiamProducer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Anderson
    Why is it that EVERY thread that involves OC turns into an OC vs CC? I get into this debate on a weekly basis with my friend who only CCs? Not trying to threadjack a threadjack....but anyways....
    This is why I try to never go to a walkup ATM unless I have no other option. If that is the case though I make sure to always use my left hand, so my right hand is free (carry at 3-4 o'clock)

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    In the original situation posted, it sounds like the preditor was sizing you up. Kinda like a shark does... it bumps you once or twice to see if you're worth eating OR you present a danger to it.

Concealed or open... have something to bite back with.

Top Bottom