• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Who's going to pay this $60 million? Students? Taxpayers?

The idea is to penalize them their cut of the Big 10 pie, advertising from various sources, TV revenues, etc. Since the department still has to operate, the whack on their budget will definitely hurt. I'm not sure how you finance such a penalty...one big check? forfeiture of other income streams?:dunno:

I read that they was no "specific NCAA rule" that was broken. I guess the NCAA can make up rules after the fact. I don't see how they can punish all of the players that fought for those 100+ wins, because a few administrators are sick. All of the good that has come from that school will forever be tainted.

This is always a point of contention when the NCAA hands out penalties. The idea is to punish the people involved, but sadly those kids out there are unfairly punished too. The school, football program, and the administrators all "profitted" by the performance on the field. The players, presumably, were unaware of the evil being perpetrated and suffer the collateral damage.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The idea is to penalize them their cut of the Big 10 pie, advertising from various sources, TV revenues, etc. Since the department still has to operate, the whack on their budget will definitely hurt. I'm not sure how you finance such a penalty...one big check? forfeiture of other income streams?:dunno:

This is always a point of contention when the NCAA hands out penalties. The idea is to punish the people involved, but sadly those kids out there are unfairly punished too. The school, football program, and the administrators all "profitted" by the performance on the field. The players, presumably, were unaware of the evil being perpetrated and suffer the collateral damage.

Yes, but the NCAA gets the appearance of "doing something".

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Punitive damages imposed for the cover up.

NCAAF Penn State sanctions: $60M, bowl ban - ESPN

60 million fine 1year revenue from football program
    4 year post season/bowl ban
    10 scholarships lost for the next 4 years
    1998-2011. Vacate all wins
    And then some...

This to me seems to be punishing everyone except the perps who helped in the coverup and is senceless.
    The money for the fine will cost the taxpayers (state supported school).
    It will likely result in higher tuition fees and academic lose for the students.
    The trophies and accomplishments of past students that had nothing to do with it will suffer.
    The scholarships that students depend on will be lost or reduced due to no fault of their own.
    Every thing I've heard so far punishes the wrong people or am I missing something.
    The NCAA and others are just making a bad situation that much worse for people not involved.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I think the NCAA got this right. At least consistant with other punishments. Ohio State lost scholarships and bowl eligebility because some players traded pins for tattoos. The players who did this are not on the team anymore, so the other players suffer. I don't see where the wins being removed is a big deal. $12 million a year for 5 years is nothing for Penn State. They brought in over $200 million in alumni donations for the football program last year alone.
    The NCAAh made an example out of Penn State for good reason. I hope other schools are putting people in place to watchover the atheletic departments.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I read that they was no "specific NCAA rule" that was broken. I guess the NCAA can make up rules after the fact. I don't see how they can punish all of the players that fought for those 100+ wins, because a few administrators are sick. All of the good that has come from that school will forever be tainted.

There is also no rule in place about the football coach tattooing a swastika on his forehead. But he would pay if he did it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My initial reaction is that their football program should just be eliminated, but if they keep playing, the revenues will continue so they can pay fines and maybe some of that money can do some good. Maybe.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well I guess technically with OSU and PSU inelligible for the B10 title this year IU will only be behind Wisky and Purdue in their division. Thats higher than IU has finished in the big 10 in who knows how long.

I think you forgot the 8th best team in the nation last year and probably the best time in the Big 10 this year.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Let's do something so we can feel good about it. Hey, let's go to their houses, dig up all their shrubs and kick their puppies. That'll show 'em. Nevermind investigating who exactly was involved in the coverup and giving them a vacation at the graybar hotel; we have an opportunity to loot someone with deep pockets, and humiliate everyone they ever met, into the bargain.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This to me seems to be punishing everyone except the perps who helped in the coverup and is senceless.
    The money for the fine will cost the taxpayers (state supported school).
    It will likely result in higher tuition fees and academic lose for the students.
    The trophies and accomplishments of past students that had nothing to do with it will suffer.
    The scholarships that students depend on will be lost or reduced due to no fault of their own.
    Every thing I've heard so far punishes the wrong people or am I missing something.
    The NCAA and others are just making a bad situation that much worse for people not involved.

None of the money is coming from the academic side of the institution. The fine will be felt by the athletic department. $60 Million is what PSU pulls in from one year of football operations. A punishment had be doled out to break the cult of the athletic department. Yes, innocents will feel some pain, but there is no alternative.

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The death penalty would have been easier? One & Done!

That said, I think the NCAA got this right. The system isn’t perfect and I don't always agree with the NCAA power plays. I think it’s unfortunate that students and faculty are being hit hard for something someone did or in this case didn’t do long ago. That’s how the system works though and their past sanctions have been done the same way.

Penn State is football, nothing else. I’m a Buckeye so I know what it is like to love a school unconditionally. I also know what a good tailgate party is but… Have any of you ever been to "Nittanyville"? The kids actually camped out for a week in front of Beaver Stadium prior to a home football game a few years back and continue to do the same for home games today. The town eats, sleeps and breathes football. The program supports the locals and town businesses. They prosper during a football season. Eliminating the football team with the"death penalty" would have impacted the innocence of an entire community.

Penn State Football will survive this but it will hurt. One thing for sure though, Penn State fans will still show up to the games to watch a team mediocre team that has been reduced by the faults of an institution and coaching staff who decidedto turn their heads.

Let this be a lesson to all. Never put the welfare of a child in the way of anything.

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    As a Purdue grad, I've never considered "The" Pennsyvania State University as a Big Ten school. They (and Nebraska) are just revenue sharing partners. Big Ten means TEN, not twelve.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think you forgot the 8th best team in the nation last year and probably the best time in the Big 10 this year.

They arent in Purdue or IUs division of the Big 10.

Purdue and IU have Osu, Psu, Wisconsin, and Illinois in their division. I said IU would be behind purdue and wisky in their division. Normally Id say Ill too but Ill has totally new coaching staff.

Besides UM was massively over rated last year at #8. They were a product of a favorable schedule and the normal b10 bcs money bias and had a very easy bcs opponent. They are good but would get clobbered by the truly elite teams like usc, oklahome, lsu, bama, oregon, etc.

mrs.printcraft

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2012
    Sorry I'm late to comment... but holy cow! This punishment was B.S.! Yes, it could have been worse (although, not by much)... The lame excuse of making an example of them... is the biggest bunch of :poop: ! I never liked that grade school classroom approach to discipline. It's not necessary to punish everyone for the acts of a few.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    It's not necessary to punish everyone for the acts of a few...................

I consider EVERYONE that benefitted from the success of the football program at PSU to be equally culpable.....including the ENTIRE university, staff, students, local businesses, and community. If they weren't so focused on a WINNING football team and what it meant to the university and surrounding community, MAYBE someone wouldn't have looked the other way and hoped this situation would "just go away".

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I consider EVERYONE that benefitted from the success of the football program at PSU to be equally culpable.....including the ENTIRE university, staff, students, local businesses, and community. If they weren't so focused on a WINNING football team and what it meant to the university and surrounding community, MAYBE someone wouldn't have looked the other way and hoped this situation would "just go away".

State College primarily exists as a town because of Penn State. Many businesses heavily depend on the money spent by football fans. People will lose their jobs, businesses will fail.

Based on your analysis, why aren’t we punishing the businesses and populace of Bloomington IN and Lafayette IN? After all, didn’t they also benefit from all the Penn State fans that spent money when the team was in town?

What was done by a few to effect a cover-up was wrong, but I disagree that an entire town has to be punished.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom