• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What is it with pawn shop employees? They make seedy used car salesmen look classy. Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, etc.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They play by the same rules as most gun shops. No one walks in the door wanting to sell something who doesn't need money. If they'll accept 30% of the value for their item, why pay them more?

I couldn't do it myself (lowball like they do) but I wouldn't sell a gun in a store or take something to a pawn shop unless it was my last resort.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't understand pawn shops,

People go in knowing they are going to get nothing for what they have, the only think I can figure out is most of what they sell in there they don't have anything in.

Then on the outgoing side they ask full retail for stuff that looks like it was pulled behind a truck, Even if you work down the price your still paying too much for junk.

I just don't get it, out of curiosity I go into one about 2 times a year, I watch people just come in and loose money.

Hope I never get to a position where the pawn shop is my only resort

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    They play by the same rules as most gun shops. No one walks in the door wanting to sell something who doesn't need money. If they'll accept 30% of the value for their item, why pay them more?

I couldn't do it myself (lowball like they do) but I wouldn't sell a gun in a store or take something to a pawn shop unless it was my last resort.

And then offer the used junk for 120% of retail; no way I could do it.:rolleyes:

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I honestly haven't sold anything at a pawn shop for years for this very reason. With all of the other ways to sell stuff yourself (craigslist, facebook, ebay, etc.) , I just don't see a point in selling something where I know I'm going to get swindled. On the other hand, there has been more than one occasion where I have walked in and left with something for way less than I would have paid anywhere else.

As far as the reality shows go, I do enjoy watching pawn stars if nothing else than to learn an interesting historical fact from time to time. I could care less about hardcore pawn because it is pretty much all drama. If I wanted that, I could walk around in a group of people somewhere and sooner or later I would see something.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've never been into a pawn shop in my life, never saw the need or desire. I've also noticed that pawn shops are generally only located in the not-so-great parts of town so if I were to go in, my expectations would not be very high.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    If there is a such a thing, the pawn shops I see on TV are what I would consider "upscale". When I go to the local ones, I feel like I need a shower when I leave. The only reason I stop by is if I happen to be next to one and have a little time to kill. I'm always looking to see if they have any guns that catch my eye, but sadly, they never do.

The only things I have ever purchased from a pawn shop are hand tools, and that was because they were a bargain. They have boxes of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. for 50 cents each, so I'll pick up something I think I can use.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One of the local pawn shops were selling guns at a local gun show. Prices were crazy stupid. I was shocked. I thought, why don't you walk around and look at the other prices. But with mark ups like that, I suppose they only need to sell a couple items to cover their costs.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I understand the business model of pawn shops and I don't really feel sorry for those who get ripped off. I just don't understand the need of the workers to look like pimps.

Cajun.Pawn.Stars.S02E01.jpg

Sadly, this guy reminds me of my dad. He's the same build and about the same age as my dad was but my dad wasn't as cheesy as this guy.
    cajun-pawn-stars-jimmie-deramus-1.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I understand the business model of pawn shops and I don't really feel sorry for those who get ripped off. I just don't understand the need of the workers to look like pimps.

Cajun.Pawn.Stars.S02E01.jpg

Sadly, this guy reminds me of my dad. He's the same build and about the same age as my dad was but my dad wasn't as cheesy as this guy.
    cajun-pawn-stars-jimmie-deramus-1.jpg

Pimps? I don't see pimps...Maybe used car salesmen or they look a little like mobsters.

On second thought, they look alot like mobsters.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I read in the news that a scientific study was done that said that the Nigerian email scams work by weeding the smart people out of so that the only people that ever respond are idiots, otherwise if they seemed plausible, the scammer would spend countless hour negotiating with intelligent people, and wasting their time. That's how I feel about pawn shops. Only an idiot would sell their stuff at a pawn shop.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    TV changes things. Who knows what thy looked like before.

I wish the History channel would go back to showing shows about history. Pawnstars, Iceroad truckers, etc do not qualify in my mind.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    TV changes things. Who knows what thy looked like before.

I wish the History channel would go back to showing shows about history. Pawnstars, Iceroad truckers, etc do not qualify in my mind.
    Agreed and the Hatfield and McCoys show proved that well done history programs will draw ratings.

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It would be nice if any the pawn shops in my area sold firearms at all. Every one I've asked says we don't have the license for that while usually giving me a sideways look like I'm asking for nuclear warheads. :rolleyes:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I love buying from pawnshops. I have bought several power tools for over 50% off and look brand new. They let you test the tools all day until you are satisfied you are not buying junk.

One day I went into a pawnshop and they had one troy ounce of silver round. I asked how much they wanted and the employee told me 45. I told him thank you but that was way to much to which the employee said I can take 25 for it. Spot was 37 that day. Of course I took it then!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was actually thrown out of a pawn shop. I wanted to buy a Browning Buckmark to shoot with the grand kids. The pawn shop had a used, nicked up Buckmark camper special. It looked rough but fully functional. The owner of the Pawn shop said $399. I figered he made a mistake, since full list new on that model was $319. When I asked again he said $399. I said there must be a mistake, since they are only $319 full list brand new. He called me names and told me that he does not have time for A$$----s like me and to get out of his store and never come back. I stood in shock and disbelief. He then threated to show me the door from a body bag. I still cannot figure out why he snapped like that, but that was the last time I shopped at a pawn shop.

The good side of the story I drove to the town west and went to Alpine Sporting goods that afternoon and bought a brand new Buckmark camper special that has been a great little pistol, dependable, accurate with a wide variety of ammo, and easy to shoot well. I recommend it.

Top Bottom