PART 2: I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And don't take every comment too personally. I believe I was called a troll in my first thread I posted. LOL

Comments online are not always read the way they were intended...no body language or facial expressions to help you know when someone is being sarcastic, etc.

There are a lot of good people in this community...and it is a community.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    And don't take every comment too personally. I believe I was called a troll in my first thread I posted. LOL

Comments online are not always read the way they were intended...no body language or facial expressions to help you know when someone is being sarcastic, etc.

There are a lot of good people in this community...and it is a community.

Yeah. Until you brought out the cookies and other freshly baked goods!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A view from Mom's.
    Man_under_4th_stre_3244004b.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    i think it is a pain also i have tried as well to contact people also with no luck i can deal with that even worst i am new to social media and having people get a attitude because i used all caps. and telling me to quit screaming i had to find out from a young girl at work what they were talking about,, i'm waiting for some one to yell at me for spelling words wrong .. good luck from a newbee

Cue grammar Nazis!

:popcorn:

Honestly dude this place is a hoot! Hang out, get to know your way around, join in the conversations. I would remind you that this place can be like thanksgiving at grandma's with a large extended family. There's a lot going on all the time, people take potshots at each other fairly regularly (especially in the political forum eh Kut?) But at the end of the day everybody is sitting around talking about what a great time they had.

I was told about the place and checked it out, found the classies and spotted a pistol I wanted desperately. In those days it was 10 quality posts, can you believe it? TEN! Man I hit that tenth post and headed straight to that pistol but before I could hit "send" on the pm they changed it to 50!! Bunch of ****in' *******s they were!!!!! I got over it and enjoy watching some of the bickering even to the point of squirting a little lighter fluid onto the fire occasionally. A couple of threads I participate in regularly because all involved are similarly inclined and some of the other threads I pop in sometimes to see what's going on.

This place IS a small community and like any community there are going to be some great people, some not so great and some downright *******s, but you'll find the *******s generally flame out before long.

Damn I sound like a commercial for this place, I need to go kick a baby or something now so people don't start talking.

Don't forget though that like grandma's thanksgiving get together once the sharks smell blood you better have some thick skin. If you don't there won't be any beer left in the cooler when you step out into the garage for another one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cue grammar Nazis!This place IS a small community and like any community there are going to be some great people, some not so great and some downright *******s, but you'll find the *******s generally flame out before long.

Not all there a few of us here.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    i think it is a pain also i have tried as well to contact people also with no luck i can deal with that even worst i am new to social media and having people get a attitude because i used all caps. and telling me to quit screaming i had to find out from a young girl at work what they were talking about,, i'm waiting for some one to yell at me for spelling words wrong .. good luck from a newbee
    Hey kid, in here:wrongdoor:I’ll show you away around stupid rules, for $25.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just can not believe there are still newbs out there even posting in this thread. The one fellah who openly admitted he'd come here for the classies, but because of the rule found lots of interesting stuff, ok. That I get,. But the ones who seriously think this is a thread to pop in to and kvetch about 50 posts? Come on.

I keep thinking the same thing. But, it keeps happening so there must be a logical reason. I suspect that many of these folks are really not just inexperienced here, but to the ways of internet itself. I believe that it likely happens something like this, a somewhat savvy friend says bet we can find used guns online or they search a particular firearm, they find ingo, he likes it tries to buy, gets frustrated, sees this thread, lets us know his frustration.

If a user doesn't know all caps is screaming then they certainly do not know much. BTW for many older folks, the first computer generated text was generally in all caps, it may not even look odd to some.

A couple of suggestions I thought of, they may already be done but if not wouldn't be a big deal. I was trying to think like the guy above rather than a member with thousands of posts.

Put a notice in bold red letters yelling "50 posts required to use classifieds". I'm sure the thousands posters will reply read the sticky rules, but a guy that just stumbled here from Google likely has not gotten there, he wants to buy something not banter with you.

Can the classifieds access be locked to keep people with fewer than 50 posts out altogether? Can't want what you don't know exists.

Can we stop Google from indexing the classifieds? Then ads wil not show up in Google searchs of non-members.

We had a political topic recently that suddenly there were brand new members arguing their case out of the blue, it turns out they became aware of our discussion on Google and joined to argue with us. In privacy terms it would be better not to index every firearm offered here in my thinking.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Maybe not quite on point but here goes.

This is a great community and a great source of knowledge. Every time I have asked a question someone has had an answer, not always right, but a different point of view and a way to expand my thought process on whatever subject it was about. I also try to answer questions for members on things I'm knowledgeable about, Winchester 52's, S&W revolvers and some class 3 stuff. I read a lot more than I post. I joined just over 10 years ago...went through the great post count loss of 09? I think it was...LOL....Admittedly, I use the Classifieds sporadically because I like to improve my collection, get rid of things I've lost interest, get good deals on accessories etc. Not once have I met anyone from INGO in person that was an A$$hat, not once!

I think the 50 post rule works well at what has been stated above, keeping our Community from turning into a free for all, classified driven list.

Having ZERO access to the classifieds before 50 ports would be even better, a new member seeing something they want to buy but not being able to message the seller would probably be very irritating, not that they deserve to have the ability, just saying it might eliminate frustration and venting in other threads. Possibly reduce the Google hits too?

Just my :twocents: Thanks all....

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Some folk that have been here for years and contributed greatly came here because they googled Glock for sale and wound up joining.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Some folk that have been here for years and contributed greatly came here because they googled Glock for sale and wound up joining.

Great point....but if someone Googles Glock, HK, S&W, Winchester etc etc. I'm sure INGO threads would come up in search results, even without the classifieds.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    BUT we are doing way too good a job of molly coddling new guys.

We get way too few nuclear meltdowns.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've found that the best way to find INGO when I can't remember the address is to Google; butthurt, jbt, wallet or 8 year old girls. I'd watch the last one as it can be difficult at times to convince your wife of your true intentions.

Or so I've been told.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I heard some that have been here for years are here because they misspelled Glock when tried googling Glock for sale and wound up joining. :n00b:

Isn't that right PrintCraft?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom