PART 2: I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would be interested in those methods. Unless it's protected rights.:):
    Its not really something I could write down as it is a "By feel" technique her mother used. Even her written recipes are loose to translations. As to a pinch of this and a twist of that. Straight up farm style cooking. CKW has mastered it over the years.

I miss old school iron skillet cooking. Done by the masters in homemade aprons. With ingredients the new wave crowd deems bad for you. We went to all iron on the stove top a couple of years ago. And it was obvious.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its not really something I could write down as it is a "By feel" technique her mother used. Even her written recipes are loose to translations. As to a pinch of this and a twist of that. Straight up farm style cooking. CKW has mastered it over the years.

I miss old school iron skillet cooking. Done by the masters in homemade aprons. With ingredients the new wave crowd deems bad for you. We went to all iron on the stove top a couple of years ago. And it was obvious.
    I have several recipes I had to coax out of Grandma that were like that. I'd have her measure out in the bowl, in her hand, etc. by eye like she normally would and then actually measure that amount to build actual recipes. You might try that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several recipes I had to coax out of Grandma that were like that. I'd have her measure out in the bowl, in her hand, etc. by eye like she normally would and then actually measure that amount to build actual recipes. You might try that.
    Oh way to much work Amigo. That takes the true magic out of the mix at least for me but I can see you perfecting it at that level.
    You should have seen the woman make a fresh picked blueberry cobbler and home cranked ice cream. That was a treat.
    Or a real from scratch apple pie. All by feel.

>)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Family Dollar and Dollar General carry Libbys sausage gravy.

If it says Libby's Libby's Libby's on the lable label label, you will like it like it on your table table table, if it says Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label.

I make a breakfast casserol.

1 bag of hash rounds.
    8 cans of gravy.
    2 lbs of sausage. Fried and crumbled.
    2 lbs of bacon. Fried and crumbled.
    Thick cut ham cubed.
    12 eggs seasoned and scrambled.
    1 large can of biscuits. I use a 3/4" cutter to make a bunch of mini biscuits and bake until golden.
    1lb shredded taco cheese.

Bake the hash rounds chrispy brown.
    Line the bottom of a 12x9 pan with them.
    Heat the gravy and spread a layer over the potatoes.
    Layer sausage, gravy, bacon, gravy, ham, gravy, mini biscuits.
    Sprinkle with cheese to taste.

Feel free to use your own gravy, biscuits or favorite cheese

You can either serve it right away or hold it in the oven.
    I make something similar, but mine is 1 lb. bacon, fried crisp
    1 lb. sausage, browned.
    Sliced potatoes and onions fried in the bacon grease until browned.
    1/2 dozen eggs scrambled.

I take part of the sausage (maybe 1/3) and make gravy with it. Line the bottom of a baking pan with the potatoes, then cover with a layer of the gravy, then crumble the bacon and remaining sausage over that, topped with scrambled eggs and then cheddar cheese (or colby jack) and bake until the cheese just starts to brown. Yours sounds amazing!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I always add flour to whatever drippings I’m making gravy with. I used to add the liquid too early, but I accidentally figured out that letting the flour brown just right BEFORE adding the liquid was the key.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Oh way to much work Amigo. That takes the true magic out of the mix at least for me but I can see you perfecting it at that level.
    You should have seen the woman make a fresh picked blueberry cobbler and home cranked ice cream. That was a treat.
    Or a real from scratch apple pie. All by feel.

>)
    Grandma's and their awesome cooking.
    I didn't realize at the time, how much I would miss it in my later years. Young and oblivious.
    All done by scratch, without any measuring devices, and was simply perfect every time.

The Mrs. has perfected homemade chocolate pudding. It's the best after is cools slightly, and develops the skin on the surface.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I always add flour to whatever drippings I’m making gravy with. I used to add the liquid too early, but I accidentally figured out that letting the flour brown just right BEFORE adding the liquid was the key.
    Yes sir, brown the flour for a few minutes.
    It makes all the difference.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, and stir it gently, otherwise your gravy can "break". It's chemistry really. There are basically two types of roux. Flour and grease (drippings) or cornstarch and cold liquid. The cornstarch and cold liquid really isn't a roux though... just a thickening agent. But they both work kinda the same way. The starch in either the flour or cornstarch forms little "globules" (think tapioca) that absorb the liquid that you want to thicken. That's why you want to be gentle with the flour and grease roux. If you break those globules, they won't absorb the liquid that you're adding and you'll end up with greasy liquid, not thick, delicious gravy...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If I'm trying to impress a date... okay, YEARS AGO when I had dates...
    I'd make lasagna and 3 cheese bites.

3 cheese bites:
    I would roll out the biscuits flat (flour on the roller helps with the sticking)
    put them in a cupcake pan (Pam to keep it from sticking)
    add a bit of the sauce, and the cheese mix (Parmesan, Mozzarella, Ricotta)
    Then cook the the rest of the way.

The 3 cheese bites make a good appetizer.

If you don't cook the bites half way first, then the underside comes out a bit undercooked.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom