• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • z56o2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy, Eagle Creek area
    Hello, I've been lookin around on here and haven't found exactly what I'm lookin for so if this has already been covered I apologize. I have a registeration/paper trail question. I know Indiana has no laws requiring registration but does buying from a dealer make a difference as far as a paper trail? What process does the dealer go through when selling? Does he have to report anything to the state about what he sold to whom? Until recently I'd been under the impression that you weren't required to register a gun you already own or have bought from a private seller but if you were to buy from a dealer it would automatically be registered, but I've read posts that say there actually is no gun registry in Indiana. I'm just lookin for clarification. Any knowledge would be very appreciated.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    The only thing reported to the State is Multiple hand gun sales.
    Atf only knows you bought a Handgun, Longgun or both.

2 or more handguns purchased in one business week, requires the dealer to file a Multiple handgun sales report.
    The MHSR does include the serial number of the handguns.

One copy goes to ATF and one to State Police.

z56o2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy, Eagle Creek area
    so as long as you buy only one handgun in a week's time the state and atf know nothing? as far as the paper trail, what sort of info does the dealer keep track of? Does that depend on the dealer or are they required to get name, address, etc? Thanks again.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The 4473's are kept at the dealer for 10 years (I believe this is the #). If the dealer goes out of business however, the 4473's are sent to be held by the ATF...

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    The 4473's are kept at the dealer for 10 years (I believe this is the #). If the dealer goes out of business however, the 4473's are sent to be held by the ATF...

20 years!
    The 4473 is retained by the dealer and can be viewed/copied by the ATF during an inspection.
    They can also call and do a Gun Trace by phone.

If you watch "Red Dawn" the cuban colonel sends his men to every gun dealer in town to get the 4473 so he can confiscate the guns.

In case of foreign invasion, I'll burn mine. :flamethrower:

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    very interesting...

But what happens with a personal seller/buyer situation? I am sure this has been gone over ad nauseum on this board, but I figure I'd through it out again with this new thread.

I mean, if I buy a gun from a dealer (or gun show or wherever I have to fill out that paper work) and then sell it to my neighbor (or some guy in a mall parking lot-lol-) and a crime happens with that gun, do I need to have some paper trail?

and if I buy a gun from a private sale, is there any way that I don't know the gun isn't somehow "wanted"?

All of this seems to be really at the margins of reality for most straightforward gun enthusiasts, but the questions are fascinating.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    But what happens with a personal seller/buyer situation? I am sure this has been gone over ad nauseum on this board, but I figure I'd through it out again with this new thread.

I mean, if I buy a gun from a dealer (or gun show or wherever I have to fill out that paper work) and then sell it to my neighbor (or some guy in a mall parking lot-lol-) and a crime happens with that gun, do I need to have some paper trail?
    by law, no. Some like to keep a record of what they sell. Some (I) never sell any guns. All mine were lost in a boating accident.
    and if I buy a gun from a private sale, is there any way that I don't know the gun isn't somehow "wanted"?
    If you didn't want it, you wouldn't buy it. ;) If it's a private sale, you have no way of knowing whether or not it has been stolen before. Don't buy from someone you don't trust.
    All of this seems to be really at the margins of reality for most straightforward gun enthusiasts, but the questions are fascinating.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Private sales can still go through an FFL. The FFL will do a 4473 and a NICS check, and then you won't have to worry about whether the gun is stolen. Of course, that goes back to your paper trail question.

I'm not sure, but I think you can also take it to your local PD and have them run the serial number. However, the seller may have little incentive to do so. If it's not "wanted", it's a waste of his time. If it is, then the police will confiscate it and possibly arrest him.

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    I'm not sure, but I think you can also take it to your local PD and have them run the serial number. However, the seller may have little incentive to do so. If it's not "wanted", it's a waste of his time. If it is, then the police will confiscate it and possibly arrest him.

I wouldn't call it a waste of his time, if it's the only way he's going to sell the gun for the price he wants. If he's not willing to go along with what the buyer wants, and the buyer feels strongly enough about it, then the buyer doesn't have to make the purchase. Ah, the joys of a free market economy.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    When you transfer a used gun through a FFL, no check is required to determine if it is stolen or not.

I guess the good news is that if the gun ends up being a stolen one, you have a paper trail leading away from you.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008

There is no national database for stolen guns.
    You can call the local PD or Sheriff and have them run the S/N against the local list of stolen weapons.

Just ask for ID and a Bill of sale, like you would do when buying a used car.
    Basically CYA to the extent you need to feel comfortable with the transaction.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The only thing reported to the State is Multiple hand gun sales.
    Atf only knows you bought a Handgun, Longgun or both.

2 or more handguns purchased in one business week, requires the dealer to file a Multiple handgun sales report.

What about stripped lower receivers? do you have to report multiple sales of those?

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    There is no national database for stolen guns.
    You can call the local PD or Sheriff and have them run the S/N against the local list of stolen weapons.

Just ask for ID and a Bill of sale, like you would do when buying a used car.
    Basically CYA to the extent you need to feel comfortable with the transaction.

When I asked about a gun being "wanted", I was not only asking about a stolen gun, but also a gun that had been used in a crime. Obviously this is the smallest of percentages of guns, and perhaps not even worth the mention.

Now that I think about it, there would be almost no chance that a gun would land in a law abiding gun owners hands, unless it had changed hands a few times, and/or you were being "framed". I would think most guns that were used in crimes are probably disposed of as opposed to being sold.

I've probably just watched too many cop shows.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    20 years!
    The 4473 is retained by the dealer and can be viewed/copied by the ATF during an inspection.

If you watch "Red Dawn" the cuban colonel sends his men to every gun dealer in town to get the 4473 so he can confiscate the guns.

Ahh, great movie...I think I'll watch that tonight

But in case of foreign invasion, aren't you going to need them?

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    20 years!

your my new gun dealer carl:rockwoot: got a web sight?hey what about lower recievers? if you buy more than one does the paper work still get sent?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    your my new gun dealer carl:rockwoot: got a web sight?hey what about lower recievers? if you buy more than one does the paper work still get sent?

you can buy 10 or 100 rifles, shotguns and receivers.
    Only handguns require a special report.
    It only takes 2 handguns in a week to need a report.

Top Bottom