DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We are trying to find him a good home.
    He and Bullitt will never get along enough to trust them not fighting again. I hate the thought of him leaving, but I think it's best for both dogs.
    Gunner needs a home where he's the only dog and I think he will do great.
    Well I'm sorry it didn't work out, but it sure wasn't due to lack of effort on your part. Like you said, Gunner will probably be fine as an "only dog". Some dogs are just like that. I watch Pit Bulls and Parolees a lot and many of their dogs are like that. Loving as can be with a family, but just not good with other dogs. I think you're making the right decision.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Well I'm sorry it didn't work out, but it sure wasn't due to lack of effort on your part. Like you said, Gunner will probably be fine as an "only dog". Some dogs are just like that. I watch Pit Bulls and Parolees a lot and many of their dogs are like that. Loving as can be with a family, but just not good with other dogs. I think you're making the right decision.
    I've put everything into making a good home for him. He's such a good dog when him and I are alone. He still doesn't like bothered when it's his bedtime though and that's fine.
    I just can't take a chance on either of the dogs getting badly injured from a fight. Gunner brings out a dog in Bullitt that we don't care for. Once he gets mad, he is very focused on taking control of the situation. We keep them seperated most of the time, but after their afternoon feeding, we muzzle them both, so they can interact and roam around.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've put everything into making a good home for him. He's such a good dog when him and I are alone. He still doesn't like bothered when it's his bedtime though and that's fine.
    I just can't take a chance on either of the dogs getting badly injured from a fight. Gunner brings out a dog in Bullitt that we don't care for. Once he gets mad, he is very focused on taking control of the situation. We keep them seperated most of the time, but after their afternoon feeding, we muzzle them both, so they can interact and roam around.
    I think that's rather unusual behavior for beagles. I think they and most hound breeds are usually pretty social animals.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I think that's rather unusual behavior for beagles. I think they and most hound breeds are usually pretty social animals.
    That's what we thought also. But since all of this has started, the Mrs. has done a lot of research, joined several Beagle specific groups, and has talked to many, many people, to find out that this is fairly common in Beagles. Some start out fine and then after sometimes years, they hate each other. People have come home to bloody messes from Beagles fighting while they're away.
    Personally, I've never met an aggressive Beagle, until Gunner. During the research and discussions with other Beagle owners, we've had reassurance of what we suspected all along; that Gunner was abused, and he was never properly socialized.
    I feel really bad for him, and if we ever find him a good home, I will surely miss him.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's what we thought also. But since all of this has started, the Mrs. has done a lot of research, joined several Beagle specific groups, and has talked to many, many people, to find out that this is fairly common in Beagles. Some start out fine and then after sometimes years, they hate each other. People have come home to bloody messes from Beagles fighting while they're away.
    Personally, I've never met an aggressive Beagle, until Gunner. During the research and discussions with other Beagle owners, we've had reassurance of what we suspected all along; that Gunner was abused, and he was never properly socialized.
    I feel really bad for him, and if we ever find him a good home, I will surely miss him.
    I knew you had suspicions that he'd been abused. I hate that. :xmad:

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

Francis of Assisi

All things of creation are children of the Father and thus brothers of man. ... God wants us to help animals, if they need help. Every creature in distress has the same right to be protected.

Francis of Assisi

God requires that we assist the animals, when they need our help. Each being (human or creature) has the same right of protection.

Francis of Assisi

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    :coffee:

Already had one cup. May have another in a while.
    I wouldn't care, except we have "company" coming over.

I'm probably going to disappear into the night, so I'm sending felicitations to all on this fine evening.
    Enjoy your time, folks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom