• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    So my dad recently got his carry permit after me bugging him for years to get it. Hes got a charter arms snubbie 38 but didnt wanna carry it cuz it needed a good cleaning and he didnt have a good holster. so he asked to borrow my cobra ca380. Before anyone says anything it was cheap and ive had absolutely no function problems with it. I showed him how to use it and thought all was allright. well i went back to work for a short period of time last year so i bought him a good holster for the 38 and gave it a good cleaning and bought him some good hollowpoint ammo. Well the first complaint was he didnt need hollowpoints he was a good enough shot. Granted he hasnt shot a handgun as long as i could remember and im 29. i explained why we carry hollowpoints which after some arguing he understood. Well anyway i go to there house yesterday to see my mother for mothers day and he tells me he still carries the .380 some of the time, thats not my issue he carries it with an epty chamber and the safety on, so if he needs it he has to draw turn it off safety and chamber a round. i just bout lost it. i told him a bad guy would have that gun and plant it firmly in his butt before he got it hot. i also explained that situations that require deadly force are normally over in seconds. i also told him to add time to his draw unsafe and chamber plan to account for nerves and i got "there wont be nerves". oh yeah and add he'll be 60 this year and dont move as fast as he used to. so after a hour long argument i left and said by to the fastest draw in northwest indiana.:laugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What you need to do is see if you can stage some drills...

The both of you make 1000% sure his pistol is unloaded and that there isn't any live ammo anywhere near you.

Load a magazine with a few snap caps or other dummy rounds.

Have him carry the pistol as he normally does.

You position yourself about 25 feet from him. Then, at a moment of your choosing, "rush him". As you're doing so, have him attempt to draw, chamber around, and "fire" it at you.

I can guarantee that he won't be able to do it...and you'll "win".

Also talk to him about the very real possibility that he won't have two hands with which to accomplish his tasks. (pushing his wife out of the way, herding a grand kid, arthritis attack, broken wrist from a fall, etc etc etc)

-J-

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's how dad's are. They have trouble taking advice from their children. But, it may be wise for your father to carry the revolver if he has concerns about the pistol going off. The last thing he wants is to have a "club" on his hip because he couldn't get a round chambered. Besides, the .38 will have more stopping power.

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    That's how dad's are. They have trouble taking advice from their children. But, it may be wise for your father to carry the revolver if he has concerns about the pistol going off. The last thing he wants is to have a "club" on his hip because he couldn't get a round chambered. Besides, the .38 will have more stopping power.
    yeah i think im just gonna take the .380 back so he has to carry the 38

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You need to sign him and yourself up for some reality based training!! it would open his eye's and get him some training at the same time! plus you would get to have quality time with your Dad.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    There are several people here on INGO that are certified trainers, I am one but live way up north, Check the INGO advertisers and you should be able to hook up with one. or you can do an on line search and find classes in your area. Hope this helps.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    yeah i think im just gonna take the .380 back so he has to carry the 38

my father is 80...he has a .38..perfect gun for older ppl..easy for them to use...cheap for them to practice with....i bought my wife a AA-E 357..thinking of buying dad one..great gun, very inexpensive..but i think the ,38 is a wise choice...tell dad..good luck!:yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So my dad recently got his carry permit after me bugging him for years to get it. Hes got a charter arms snubbie 38 but didnt wanna carry it cuz it needed a good cleaning and he didnt have a good holster. so he asked to borrow my cobra ca380. Before anyone says anything it was cheap and ive had absolutely no function problems with it. I showed him how to use it and thought all was allright. well i went back to work for a short period of time last year so i bought him a good holster for the 38 and gave it a good cleaning and bought him some good hollowpoint ammo. Well the first complaint was he didnt need hollowpoints he was a good enough shot. Granted he hasnt shot a handgun as long as i could remember and im 29. i explained why we carry hollowpoints which after some arguing he understood. Well anyway i go to there house yesterday to see my mother for mothers day and he tells me he still carries the .380 some of the time, thats not my issue he carries it with an epty chamber and the safety on, so if he needs it he has to draw turn it off safety and chamber a round. i just bout lost it. i told him a bad guy would have that gun and plant it firmly in his butt before he got it hot. i also explained that situations that require deadly force are normally over in seconds. i also told him to add time to his draw unsafe and chamber plan to account for nerves and i got "there wont be nerves". oh yeah and add he'll be 60 this year and dont move as fast as he used to. so after a hour long argument i left and said by to the fastest draw in northwest indiana.:laugh:

How did he ever manage 30 years with out all this good advice so he could live long enough for you to be born? I know some times I wonder how I ever made it a hundred miles a day to work and back 7 days a week for 35 years with out my wife along to give me driving instructions.

Just pretend he only has 4 shells in the gun and he will be grabbing it in his sleep at night and call it "cruiser ready".

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I had a father that for years thought he knew more about guns then I did. He owned maybe ten total in his life and I owned a couple thousand in my life. I studied, shot and learned for years, he always thought he knew more. You will never convince him that you know more. Just humor him and let it ride.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I had a father that for years thought he knew more about guns then I did. He owned maybe ten total in his life and I owned a couple thousand in my life. I studied, shot and learned for years, he always thought he knew more. You will never convince him that you know more. Just humor him and let it ride.

my dads the same way AND he was in the marines. no telling that guy anything.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    my dads the same way AND he was in the marines. no telling that guy anything.

My dad was TI in the Army Air Corps. He voted in the uniforms I had to wear later when I was in the USAF. I always blamed him for them...LOL

Yes, sometimes we can not tell our fathers anything. Just ask my daughter...LOL

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The simple truth is you're really not going to win any argument with your dad. I, along with some of the others, apparently, think your best bet is to make sure he carries the .38, which taking back the .380 ought to do, and DO get some training with him. Purely as a fun father-son type of activity. Let the instructor tell him the same stuff you've been trying to, and he'll probably listen. Just the nature of dads, I guess. At least that's what my kids tell me. But what do they know??? ;)

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    What you need to do is see if you can stage some drills...

The both of you make 1000% sure his pistol is unloaded and that there isn't any live ammo anywhere near you.

Load a magazine with a few snap caps or other dummy rounds.

Have him carry the pistol as he normally does.

You position yourself about 25 feet from him. Then, at a moment of your choosing, "rush him". As you're doing so, have him attempt to draw, chamber around, and "fire" it at you.

I can guarantee that he won't be able to do it...and you'll "win".

Also talk to him about the very real possibility that he won't have two hands with which to accomplish his tasks. (pushing his wife out of the way, herding a grand kid, arthritis attack, broken wrist from a fall, etc etc etc)

-J-

Great idea...but I would do it a different way. Instead pace out a line about 25 feet, stand back to back. Have a 3rd person yell go, from there you run the opposite direction as your dad draws, flips the safety and chambers a round and once he gets a shot off (he has to yell) you stop running. Much safer than running towards someone with a gun pointed at them :twocents:.

I did this in a defensize carry pistol class and you wouldn't believe the results.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Dads can very set in their ways!!!! Just have some patience, get him to carry the 38 and remember......We are gonna be set in our ways someday as well!!!!!

Top Bottom