• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My dad owned a 410 double barrel shot gun. Years later I learned he had owned a 22 rifle once to and had to sell it to pay a speeding ticket.

I'd been working at Allison several years by this time and owned an Ithica pump I'd shot pigeons from out of barn roofs for several years and thought I was pretty good at it. I had a 22 High Standard Duramatic I'd shot the crap out of and a Remington Rand GI 45 acp, a 22 Jennings, a 380, couple 22 rifles. I was hot dip and hard packed, drank gasoline and pee'd fire. I knew it.

We went out to the iron bridge to shoot a few cans in the river, I'd been doing it a couple years by then had this down pat.

Just as a second thought I got the 45 out of the glove box and a couple full mags. "Wanna try a couple of these pops? I'll get 'em with the rifle before any get down stream."
    He says "sure why not"
    "Here hold this. I'll throw a few in and show you... POW, POW, POW, POW!"
    "Cool, just like the one I had in Korea. These things will really shoot. Throw in a few more. POW POW POW." 6 cans, 6 shots, 6 sinkers.
    "Want me to throw a few in for you?"
    "No pop. I'll just shoot the rifle."

Some day you'll dream of the day you could have listened to him instead of blabbering about some crap you read on the internet. If he needs help he'll ask. Shut up long enough to let him.

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    i see know everyone seems to misunderstand my post. this wasnt a man he wont listen to me post it was a man i want him prepared so nothin happens to him post. and thanks for all your respect and listen to your father posts mr. ryan but im very close to my father and being as how though he is older then me i have alot more gun experience then he i am just trying to give him some helpful advice like he has for me throughout the years.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Greg,

Sorry we misunderstood your post. It can happen easily when all we have are written words, rather than face-to-face expressions, tones and body language. My offer stands as long as I live here. Enjoy!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Shame you aren't closer...my Dad would be a good one to have talk to him (Dad is in his 70's). Sometime people your father's age take instruction better from a peer. My Dad is (as am I) a long time NRA instructor. If you could bring your father down to our steel shoot day on the 29th here in Logansport it would be nice and I an sure Dad would be happy to offer some basic instruction.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    About 30 yrs ago, my parents borrowed a motor home (Shasta 28') and were going to vacation in Nevada. My dad was a USN vet and my mom served in the USMC in WW2. I offered my father a Colt 1911A to take along, but he did not want to break any laws along the way. Day before them leaving, mom calls and asked if I could drop off the Colt 1911A, and couple mags just in case ? I also had a pistol belt with holster,mag case, and Kabar knife attached. She stored all under the sink, and they got on the road. After 2 months of touring my dad found the Colt and pistol belt, and they had a blown heater hose in the middle of the desert, at night. My mom reminded dad about rattlesnakes and desert stuff, and in the morning he found one under the hood on the engine block, when replacing the hose. There was one 45ACP cartridge missing when they got back home. He used a golf club to get it off the engine then shot it.

Top Bottom