• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Well,.. lesson learned. I won't ever leave home without my pink slip. Sorry for your run in, that had to have been a very tense few minutes. Glad it ended well for you.:ingo:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I don't think that it would be a good idea to follow some of the advice given by some here. Calling and complaining on the officers that DIDN"T cite you for DWS probably isn't the best idea, the statute of imitations hasn't run out.;)

Even when you're OWS, your 2d A. rights still attach (just like the 4th and 5th). I would say the preservation of a constitutional right outweighs possible Title 9 charges (even if they could charge).

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Don't know if this would win me any friends, but when I read "Are you trying to tell "the law" the law?"

The first response that came to mind was "I do have my attorney's office number in my phone. If you would prefer, I can see if he has a few minutes to bring you up to speed on the subject while we're waiting for your supervisor to arrive."

Of course, I've yet to have found myself without my pink slip on a suspended license...

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    It's oddly shaped! I just have a small card wallet, and it doesn't fit well. I'll just fold it up and toss it in there... or leave it in my glove compartment.

That's a pretty weak excuse not to carry your LTCH.

If you're going to carry, for the sake of all of us, do it right.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's a pretty weak excuse not to carry your LTCH.

If you're going to carry, for the sake of all of us, do it right.

The law doesn't force me to carry it, as said earlier. It's another one of those "Well do it anyway to prove you aren't bad" sorts of situations. If they're going to detain me, they can look it up themselves. I wasn't breaking any laws as far as carrying my firearm went.

similar to saying "Well, just CC anyway then you won't have problems."

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Even when you're OWS, your 2d A. rights still attach (just like the 4th and 5th). I would say the preservation of a constitutional right outweighs possible Title 9 charges (even if they could charge).

LOL, sure. First off, what department policy or state law did they violate? I'll answer that, sounds like none! So call and complain and possibly get charged when you were let off with a warning (DWS). And charge him they can, HE ADMITTED to the offense! It also depends how he was suspended, it is title 9, but he could have been suspended misdemeanor which could include jail time. Oh well, I vote for complain and lets see if he gets charged!:dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's oddly shaped! I just have a small card wallet, and it doesn't fit well. I'll just fold it up and toss it in there... or leave it in my glove compartment.

If you copy it onto the same pink paper at 88%, then sign and laminate, it is exactly the same size as a credit card.

Just FYI......:D

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The law doesn't force me to carry it, as said earlier. It's another one of those "Well do it anyway to prove you aren't bad" sorts of situations. If they're going to detain me, they can look it up themselves. I wasn't breaking any laws as far as carrying my firearm went.

similar to saying "Well, just CC anyway then you won't have problems."

Actually it isn't. It was illegal a very short while ago to carry without having your license on you. Indiana's effed up carry laws (in regards to without a license it's a crime) and the fact that it is a proactive defense- you have to PROVE your innocence- mean that the best way to carry is to have your LTCH handy.

If for no other reason all of the case law that protects LTCH holders requires you to PROVE you are licensed!

Also some of your answers (DON'T talk to cops!) and the fact that you were unaware of your suspension (guilty myself once) prove that you need to pay a little more attention to things to help you prevent future encounters from escalating.

And TRUST me, they do escalate as soon as you are on their radar.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Good advice for OCers is to have your **** together. Go to myBMV.com and you can see your driving record.

Same thing happened to me but reversed, driving then they saw the gun.

Learn from it and move on, give their boss a jingle about unholstering a firearm in a crowded room and let it go. And even though it isn't strictly required by the IC anymore its always a good idea to carry your LTCH so you can stop bull**** like this before it starts.

Just registered on myBMV.com, thanks for the mention.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    I don't think you technically/legally HAVE TO, but why run the added risk to yourself for additional scrutiny. Just carry it and even make copies of it so you always have on available. :dunno:

The woman moving my paperwork through the Evansville PD for my lifetime LTCH, recently, strongly urged me to make 'pink' copies as soon as I added the signature to mine, and she eyeballed me for an acknowledgement.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    These troopers sounded like they were pretty fair with you. You may be within the law to not have your LTCH on you but you would be SMART to do it; especially if you are open carrying which will invite inquiry from the police. They have the law on their side to ask you for your LTCH if they see your gun.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'd like to add to this thread that Subway sucks. Aside from their meatball subs (which I like) you have to order double meat just to have a decent sandwich. Seriously, a thin slice of ham and a thin slice of turkey folded in half is not a sandwich. Ok, carry on.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    I'd like to add to this thread that Subway sucks. Aside from their meatball subs (which I like) you have to order double meat just to have a decent sandwich. Seriously, a thin slice of ham and a thin slice of turkey folded in half is not a sandwich. Ok, carry on.

Your right about that....GO BLIMPIE!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

[big time thread jack]

For fun.. go to subway and order a "BLT".. (they always forget my bacon in the microwave).. but for the fun of it, what would you EXPECT to be on a BLT ??? They will sit and wait for you to tell them you want lettuce and tomato on it, but will assume it's ok to put bacon on.. it's an effing BLT.. I always get a kick out of them as I pause when they ask about veggies ..

[/big time thread jack]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom