Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Such incidents can be quite embarrassing (especially if it's your first time.)

To note, the attorney's card may not be warranted in this instance but it's nice to have if/when you do need it.

Full disclosure: you're welcome for the ride. ;) and after you walked out a lady walked up to the officer and said "I'm sure glad you guys were here, thank you" :rolleyes:

Sheeple...

Yeah, I really appreciate it. Can't believe someone would have said that... I was obviously a mischevious rabble-rouser.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    It's easy to say all the "I would have said" and "I would have done this..." comments. But when you're in that situation, with 25 people staring at you, it's uncomforting to try and push back like that.

I've been on this earth PLENTY long enough to not let them give me a verbal stomping:):

1) They did nothing wrong by taking your handgun. Until it was verified after-the-fact that you did have an LTC you were in the position of illegally carrying in the eyes of the law.

2) Dropping the mag may have been a little excessive but what where they supposed to do with the gun you handed them? Put it in their belt Mexican style? Stuff it in a pocket somewhere?

3) Comments were not necessary and could have been handled by you in a number of ways. I generally find that selective deafness works wonders.

4) Once you admitted that you drove on a bad licenses all kinds of worse things could have happened to you. Consider yourself lucky and don't be such a mope next time. :)

:ugh:

Good advice for OCers is to have your **** together. Go to myBMV.com and you can see your driving record.

Same thing happened to me but reversed, driving then they saw the gun.

Learn from it and move on, give their boss a jingle about unholstering a firearm in a crowded room and let it go. And even though it isn't strictly required by the IC anymore its always a good idea to carry your LTCH so you can stop bull**** like this before it starts.

:+1:

Yeah, I really appreciate it. Can't believe someone would have said that... I was obviously a mischevious rabble-rouser.

:laugh:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No offense, but it sure seems like trouble follows you. Haven't you in the past posted of getting your gun grabbed by employees at Walmart and getting pulled over after drinking?

I'm glad you have such an interest in following my "priors", or, at least, prior threads!

Most of my gun experience is quiet and as it should be. I certainly do mark the occasions in which something happens, though. They are few and far between, but they are notable enough.

This one, for example - I was noting it because it began as a gun/OC-related incident. It ended with an unrelated outcome, but it's still worthy to post here merely for the ridiculous comments that the 2nd officer made.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    I don't think that it would be a good idea to follow some of the advice given by some here. Calling and complaining on the officers that DIDN"T cite you for DWS probably isn't the best idea, the statute of imitations hasn't run out.;)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think that it would be a good idea to follow some of the advice given by some here. Caling and complaining on the officers that DIDN"T cite you for DWS isn't probably the best idea, the statute of limitations hasn't run out.;)

And honestly, it could have gone much worse, as some have said. They could have cited me.

I was just really put off by some of their comments, and of course, the part where they said all people MUST carry an LTCH to carry a firearm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm glad you have such an interest in following my "priors", or, at least, prior threads!

I have an interest in INGO. I read a lot here!:yesway:

It is just that your user name seems to pop up with some frequency in relation to having issues with authorities? No offense, of course. Just pointing that out. :dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    GPIA7R, given the situation you were in I think you did a great job of not digging the hole any deeper. Your DL being suspended didn't help but that was out of your hands anyway. I have forgotten my wallet (which contains my LTCH and DL) on several occassions while carrying a handgun. I make it a point to always bring it with me but like everyone else I have forgotten. Those troopers sound like they are use to telling people what to do instead of telling people what the law wants them to do and following that up with unnecessary remarks about their opinions was unprofessional. If you got their names or badge numbers I would call up the ISP and speak to the right people regarding what happened. If you didn't get their names or badge numbers then I would just shrug it off and remember your LTCH.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Can't let the sheeple get to you. I figure at least you can get back to your car without worry of the officers hassling you again. I tried to listen to their comments while standing in line, but only caught intermittent portions. Typical LEOs, although more friendly than some I've ran across (still not the nicest).

I stopped one of them on his way out the door to inquire what was the situation, but he wasn't real "chatty." :):

I certainly didn't care for how they chose to handle the situation. That place was far too crowded to need to have an "ego boost interaction" in the middle of it if it needed to involve removing holstered weapons. They should have moved the discussion to outside if they really felt the need to address it.

Also, if they truly felt you to be a threat...they probably shouldn't have had BOTH of their backs to the front door...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Is it true that you are not required to have your LTCH with you when carrying a handgun?

I thought I remember reading something somewhere, maybe it was in the letter that came from the ISP when I received my LTCH, but I thought it said you have to carry your LTCH when carrying a handgun. I think after reading about your episode, that I would continue to carry mine at all times, even if you guys enlighten me and I find out that I don't have to carry the LTCH.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Is it true that you are not required to have your LTCH with you when carrying a handgun?

I thought I remember reading something somewhere, maybe it was in the letter that came from the ISP when I received my LTCH, but I thought it said you have to carry your LTCH when carrying a handgun. I think after reading about your episode, that I would continue to carry mine at all times, even if you guys enlighten me and I find out that I don't have to carry the LTCH.
    I don't think you technically/legally HAVE TO, but why run the added risk to yourself for additional scrutiny. Just carry it and even make copies of it so you always have on available. :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think you technically/legally HAVE TO, but why run the added risk to yourself for additional scrutiny. Just carry it and even make copies of it so you always have on available. :dunno:

Honestly, I haven't been carrying mine because it's falling apart from going through the washer so many times. It'd be nice if it were a real "license" sort of material, rather than a piece of paper. I laminate, but even that doesn't help too much :P

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Honestly, I haven't been carrying mine because it's falling apart from going through the washer so many times. It'd be nice if it were a real "license" sort of material, rather than a piece of paper. I laminate, but even that doesn't help too much :P
    Yeah, mine's getting tathered lately as well even with lamination. That's another area where an original copy could have come in handy though. Nothing against making copies for easy reference that I've found/heard...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

I linked to the IC up-thread. It was recently revised (took effect July 2012) from "must be in possession of" to "shall not carry ... without being licensed under this chapter...."

You no longer must have it in your possession. Certainly can make your life easier, but local LEO can call it in and confirm without the pink paper. I'm sure not all LEOs are fully aware of this yet.

Not sure how this impacts non-residents carrying on their own state's permit/license. I guess it would just be a long-distance phone call. :D

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

:+1:And it's a rather FLIMSY piece of paper at that! Not to mention an oddball size - they could at least make it similar in size to a credit card. I laminated mine, and found a leather/plastic sleeve to put it in, and then put that in a baggie. That keeps the moisture from perspiration away from it. I put it in my wallet, so far I haven't put that in the washing machine. I've had my current one now for 3 years and its holding up nicely so far (even it it does look like sh__ with all that stuff wrapped around it! :laugh: ).

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I wound consider and say you came up on top. So ISP was a bit insensative, a good thing they didn't take your firearm since they took your ID or tow your car away for driving it in the first place.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I linked to the IC up-thread. It was recently revised (took effect July 2012) from "must be in possession of" to "shall not carry ... without being licensed under this chapter...."

You no longer must have it in your possession. Certainly can make your life easier, but local LEO can call it in and confirm without the pink paper. I'm sure not all LEOs are fully aware of this yet.

Not sure how this impacts non-residents carrying on their own state's permit/license. I guess it would just be a long-distance phone call. :D

Thanks for the update sir! :yesway:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The lessons I got from this are:

1. Always carry your LTCH

2. Don't take the word of a BMV bureaucrat. Verify yourself since you are the one with the vested interest.

3. Don't drive with a suspended license.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those asking if they can keep your suspended driver's license, yes, and are actually supposed to since it would be causing you to commit a misdemeanor to give it back. It's supposed to be kept and then returned to the BMV. We had pre-addressed envelopes to put them in, but I usually just kept them until I had a stack and then turned them in directly to the BMV. That way I knew they got there and didn't get lost in the mail or something and then someone is out there using it.

IC 9-24-18-2
    Misuse of licenses and permits; use of false information; inauthentic licenses and permits
    Sec. 2. (a) A person may not do any of the following:
    (1) Display, cause or permit to be displayed, or have in possession a license or permit issued under this article knowing that the license or permit is fictitious or has been canceled, revoked, suspended, or altered.
    (2) Lend to a person or knowingly permit the use by a person not entitled to use a license or permit a license or permit issued under this article.
    (3) Display or represent as the person's license or permit issued under this article a license or permit not issued to the person.
    (4) Fail or refuse to surrender, upon demand of the proper official, a license or permit issued under this article that has

been suspended, canceled, or revoked as provided by law.
    (5) Knowingly sell, offer to sell, buy, possess, or offer as genuine, a license or permit required by this article to be issued by the bureau that has not been issued by the bureau under this article or by the appropriate authority of any other state.
    A person who knowingly or intentionally violates this subsection commits a Class C misdemeanor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom