Obama to propose two free years of community college for students.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

We need to relax a bit about this. Consider, we are going to economically collapse - the only question is when. We have $18 trillion in debt today, we have (depending on how you count) anywhere from $50 trillion to $400 trillion in unfunded liabilities. Social security will fail if nothing changes, and even if it does change we are only kicking the can farther down the road.

We need to return to a core ideal of individual responsibility and limited government interference in a free market, along with a strong middle class.

What we have today is a rickety olde house that we continue to prop up using more and more labor and resources, all along this keeps us from the path of returning to prosperity. The foundation is strong, but some of the walls and rooms we have added are crap. The wiring and duct work are horrible. The sooner we give up and let the house burn down the sooner we can start rebuilding on the same strong foundation.

IF paying for everyone's education hurries us along the path to fire, all the better. The sooner we pay the piper the sooner we can get rid of the rats. Otherwise, we are going to continue to try to keep a government built of woodrot and bad planning alive.

On some off chance that my cynicism is misplaced and hundreds of thousands of people begin to seek prosperity, making us strong and vibrant again I will be happy to claim error in my judgement. So, either way America wins.

Don't worry, be happy.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Yes, I am that cynical. NO purple here.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Not to get too off topic but speaking of German education. LEO's in Germany attend the academy for 2 years. Training/education is very important to them. It was an American that reformed their law enforcement post WWII setting up the 2 year training. Something he tried to get done here in the US but was laughed at. I think it's a great idea.

I second this off topic idea but sorry to thread jack. Also I think if they will make it "Free" the students going should at least have to maintain a 3.0 GPA (B Average). If they do not maintain the 3.0 they have to pay off the tuition costs in full. It is a quite common thing in Law schools from what I am reading the student will get a decent scholarship on the promise that they maintain X GPA if they do not maintain X GPA they loose the scholarship in its entirety.

Allot of my current classmates do go to college for no other reason than to party at school I will totally admit that. But at the same time most of my classmates that are out partying can not maintain a 3.0 GPA if their lives depended on it. And even when they do graduate they have no career plans. So technical schools would be beneficial as well in the long run especially with the skilled tradesmen currently retiring in mass.

At the very least capping off how much tuition costs would be nice. I have a friend who is basically blowing $20,000 a year just to go to purdue that is insane especially for a public school IMHO. The tuition inflation that has happened can only be described as greed.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Obama to propose two free years of community college for students - Allie Grasgreen - POLITICO

Why only community college? why not university? Masters? PhDs? You know, it's free, after all...

Nothing tricky here; it's a full-employment bill for teachers.

In California, they've already gone the full-university route, and that "free college education" costs everyone to the tune of a 10% State Income Tax, whether they go to college or not. You don't see much of your paycheck when you live there. The funny thing is, although public tuition is "free," you still have to pay "fees," and those fees are constantly rising. The last I checked, fees were about 1/3 of what four-year public tuition costs elsewhere in the country - and you're still paying 10% State Income Tax on top of that (Thanks, Mom and Dad).

Obama's going back to his roots. Since the GOP got control of the Senate, he is pretty much finished as a President. This is "Community Organizing 101": promise people something for free, explain to them how they can get it, then get them hopping mad at those who stand in the way of them getting it.

He's working the Mob like a Pro. Americans will eat this up. Mostly because they're ignorant of what goes on in Cali.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Why not free food for the elderly? How can you not want to feed dear old grandma? What kind of republican, Fox News watching, dittohead are you? It's really the party of NO.

Feed the poor! Do it for free!

<see what ah did there?>

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Free college in California:

Classes - no charge
    Books - $350 a class
    Parking - $350 a semester
    Technology Fee - $500 a semester
    Registrar Fee - $700
    Student ID - $50
    Condoms - Free
    Birth Control Pills - Free
    Morning After Pills - Free
    Meals - $1000 a semester

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I finally go full-on crazy and curl into the fetal position never to return, I'm pretty sure it will have something to do with someone claiming something is "free."

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I would be okay with this if they made one change: the benefits only applied to those going into science, technology, engineering, or math based fields. I do not want my tax payer money going to pay for schooling for art history, philosophy, or other hippy BS degrees that will contribute nothing towards economic growth.

As well, I don't think you should out right be given the money. It should start as a loan. If you don't graduate or your GPA drops below the minimum, you have to repay the loan. The day you graduate with an eligible degree is when the loan is forgiven.

I could also get behind raising the GPA requirements from C+ to a B.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Because she loves to teach, and the student's aren't spoiled rich kids but mostly working class adults trying to get ahead.

Thats fine, but I know very few rich kids and we are always looking for experienced educators.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have said for years the reason that they "fixed" the student loan system and federalized it was to jack up the rates. This has led to ungodly student loan debts at rates up to 10%. kids are graduating from college with $100,000 in loans at 10%.

The reason for this program is to get kids terrified of not being able to pay back their loans. Then They search around for federal repayment programs and they signed up for them in order to get out from the student loan debt. It is the new indentured servant of the 21st-century.

I have said that in 2016 the Democrats will use student loan debt as a platform to get the youth vote out. And... Here it is in its first wave.

That's all this is...for now.

Don't sell them short though. This very well could be the new frontier of rights being finally made available to all. After all, who could possibly want to prevent the poor and unfortunate from achieving their life's dreams and making a better life from themselves?

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    I got a wonderful education in the Navy. I spent my first two years going to electronics and computer schools for my job. Since I have been out of the military I've been able to compete in the marketplace without any issues.

The problem is you can give them all the free education in the world, but unless somebody has the desire to succeed it's not going to do them any good.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That's all this is...for now.

Don't sell them short though. This very well could be the new frontier of rights being finally made available to all. After all, who could possibly want to prevent the poor and unfortunate from achieving their life's dreams and making a better life from themselves?

If you really want to see a Democratic President working the Mob adeptly...wait until the above proposal gets re-adjusted under Hillary, and becomes: free community college in exchange for "community service." It will still cost America just as much, it will still contribute just as much to aggrandizement of the Education Industry...but now, everybody will be for it - Left and Right.

It takes a skilled salesman to get people to eat Stone Soup. Hillary will be that salesman. "We did Ameri-Corps when my husband was President - now let's update it for a New Millennium, combat high Tuition prices, and Make American Communities Better."

Obama is just serving Hillary a slow-motion softball. He could actually do this himself...but he doesn't have the energy or frankly give-a-sxxt at this point.

BOHICA. (Still waiting for the INGO Lurkers who support this idea to show their faces...bawk, bawk).

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ivy Tech system high in grads, low in graduation rates

"Just 4 percent of students at Ivy Tech graduate within two years and only 23 percent earn diplomas in six years, according to state data. And that's making state officials wary of pumping more money into the system if the results don't improve."

Not surprising, especially considering how IvyTech does business..

My wife was working toward her Nursing degree and tore her achilles tendon before Clinicals started. IvyTech suspended her for "missing classes" and disallowed her access to Grants and Loans until she took one full semester, prepaid.. Even after her Doctor AND her Professor wrote letters of support to the Administration..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Perfect, let's ignore the issues our public education system already has by sending more kids to community colleges where they will take classes they should have taken in HS...great plan... and that's just one of a myriad of issues with this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It might be worth noting that Germany offers free college tuition to everyone, even foreign students accepted at their universities. Everyone is well paid and their economy is doing quite well. Two years of community college is nothing. You might be able to get technical accreditation in a field, which would be useful, and if credits are transferable you'd get two years of college credit out of the way towards a bachelors degree, but two years is nothing, really. I wish there was a way to do it without saddling the taxpayers or accruing a lifetime of debt. Sadly, it's a system we've let get out of control and it DOES need reining in. This is just pandering to the base, for Obama. It won't go anywhere, with republicans in control of the house and senate.

Agreed, Obama is trying make the Republicans look like bad guys. Though I do wonder what type of an effect this would have if passed?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People have a tendency to value things more, that they earned with hard work.

Anecdote #2: All 4 people who graduated Summa *** Laude (top 3%) in my law school class, put themselves through law school one way or another.

ETA: I love the latin bad word filter.

Top Bottom