Obama to propose two free years of community college for students.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Public Education, years 13 and 14
    I feel this bears repeating. If everybody starts going to college a high school diploma will be nigh worthless. Already is halfway to being.

Grandpa dropped out of school in third grade. Went on to work a few decades in the factories when he got old enough to move out. Turned out okay for him, but you won't get by with that anymore. He knew how to work with his hands.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I went to "community college" for a year just to get some gen ed credits knocked out and stay out of debt, plus I could work much more than when I was enrolled at a state school. The one thing that I did notice was how much attendance dropped after student's received their borrowed money... Got the check "for school" and then never came again. Granted that is debt that won't go away, but it just showed me the mindset.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I went to "community college" for a year just to get some gen ed credits knocked out and stay out of debt, plus I could work much more than when I was enrolled at a state school. The one thing that I did notice was how much attendance dropped after student's received their borrowed money... Got the check "for school" and then never came again. Granted that is debt that won't go away, but it just showed me the mindset.

Oh, no. It goes away. That's the "guaranteed" part of the student loan. But at least there are still consequences for default.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I saw a bumper sticker recently that said "if you want small govt and low taxes move to somalia" which of course was right next to the "Obama 2012" bumper sticker.

I just can't wrap my brain around folks that want big govt and high taxes.

People that mistake small government for no government.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Need to out a bumpersticker next to it that says, "if you want big government and the unmanageable debt that goes with it, move to Greece."

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I feel this bears repeating. If everybody starts going to college a high school diploma will be nigh worthless. Already is halfway to being.

Grandpa dropped out of school in third grade. Went on to work a few decades in the factories when he got old enough to move out. Turned out okay for him, but you won't get by with that anymore. He knew how to work with his hands.

I work for a fairly large hospital system here in Indiana and am a member of the hiring team in our department. I've been involved in interviewing and hiring several people over the past few years and I'm here to tell you that even the lowest paid position we've filled in that time was filled with a person with at least an associates degree in various arenas. Even the entry level secretarial position we recently filled went to a person with an AS in whatever. When you have multiple skilled, hirable applicants it comes down to how many letters are behind their names even if the job doesn't require it. Simple fact of life nowadays is that the associates degree of today is the high school diploma of yesterday. Hell we had a carpenter retire the first of the year and even he had a Bachelor's degree in history!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I work for a fairly large hospital system here in Indiana and am a member of the hiring team in our department. I've been involved in interviewing and hiring several people over the past few years and I'm here to tell you that even the lowest paid position we've filled in that time was filled with a person with at least an associates degree in various arenas. Even the entry level secretarial position we recently filled went to a person with an AS in whatever. When you have multiple skilled, hirable applicants it comes down to how many letters are behind their names even if the job doesn't require it. Simple fact of life nowadays is that the associates degree of today is the high school diploma of yesterday. Hell we had a carpenter retire the first of the year and even he had a Bachelor's degree in history!

He's a carpenter because a history degree is not all that valuable for a lot of occupations.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

We have various test for various positions at work. College grads seem to have problems passing the entrance test for the craftsman rate.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1915310_1124586124266855_6639764080674899802_n.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Nobody is getting free college. It just defers the cost onto somebody else. This is the concept they can't grasp, or those that do grasp it just say it should be paid for by "the rich", which they can never seem to peg down just who falls into that. I bet all of them wish they were rich someday, and the few that do get there will ***** about taxes for the rest of their lives and never get what I'm laughing at.

Top Bottom