Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Any plumbers on here?
    This is in a crawlspace.
    Co-worker said it looks wet but when he touches it is not wet or damp. It's the cold water line going to his bathroom.

Water is working. He was in crawl to see if any pipes issues.
    Galvanic corrosion.

It will eventually fail.

You need to turn off the water (in the spring) remove the iron pipe and replace it with a brass plug. Use plenty of dope on the threads!

Dope should not be a problem for you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pretty cool to watch in person. If you ever noticed one coupler on a coal car is painted because only one
    swivels. Got to break the train if the two painted couplers are together.

We had one at US.
    Fortunately, nothing I had to work on.

Story.
    There is a guy who's ONLY job, was to look out the window and make sure everything's okay. Then push the start button.
    One time he got lazy (that we know of) and didn't look.
    The car only went HALF way in.
    Twisted the car 90 degrees.
    AND got it stuck.
    The 'truck' (wheels) fell off.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Can I get a list of all those sanitary gas stations? I drive 3,000 miles per month, I avoid gas station rest rooms as much as possible.

I basically plan my highway stops these days around Love's brand gas station/truck stops. Clean bathrooms with all the amenities of other truckstops/convenient marts. I imagine they are hurting other established brands.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Our coal cars had doors on the bottom and a shaker they lowered onto the cars. Had about one call per winter where the coal wouldn't come out and we found a dead deer in the car. Speculation was that they fell into the car when it was on a siding and couldn't get out. Car then filled with coal.

Shaker:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Galvanic corrosion.

It will eventually fail.

You need to turn off the water (in the spring) remove the iron pipe and replace it with a brass plug. Use plenty of dope on the threads!

Dope should not be a problem for you.
    Thanks he is/was freaking out.
    Our coworker in Kansas City her pipes froze in bathroom. Landlord told her to use a hair dryer to thaw out and that led to pipe bursting and water all over the place.

Another coworker who lives on the north side of chiraqi his kitchen faucet was not working, frozen pipe. This occured because his furnance stopped working so the whole 2 story house was cold. (More on this In a momemt)

We told him to try and isolate that section of the house by turning off the water line that goes to that area before thawing it out.

He took no action and called hvac about the furnance instead. Turns out the nest batteries died and the nest told the furnamce to stay off. The nest had been installed incorrectly. Instead of getting power from the furnamce it was using the batteries only and he never changed them out.

Furnance comes back on, warm house and this morning surprise flooded basement as the kitchen pipe thawed out and :facepalm:

Plumbing sucks!!!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And don't thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch. Seen the results on a fire call. Homeowner didn't realize
    he started a fire inside the wall until it was too late. Pipes all got thawed though.
    Not laughing about the situation.
    Just the last line.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    On a similar note I strongly encourage EVERYONE to have a working CO detector. I've seen those save lives
    several times a year. Mostly during heating season due to bad heat exchangers, improper flame characteristics
    because of bad burners or improper stoichiometric ratio (air fuel mixture), etc.
    The better CO detectors have a digital readout that you can see before any alarm signal. Check batteries and replace
    them as required.
    Don't install them right next to a stove but in a central area.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Rest stops don’t need to sell anything….. everything is paid for. Forcibly. Admittedly since using the side of the road is frowned upon I frequent both, often. And there is no contest. And I don’t see how people paying for what they use is stupid? Example???
    The comment was "only" paying for what you use. Like i should be itemized and only have to pay for the portion of taxes that support the road that i drive on 5 days a week. The premise of taxation and government is to support the greater good of the whole and maintain a society. Not just the **** i use.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The comment was "only" paying for what you use. Like i should be itemized and only have to pay for the portion of taxes that support the road that i drive on 5 days a week. The premise of taxation and government is to support the greater good of the whole and maintain a society. Not just the **** i use.
    And that is why we have .guv funded research on how productive pigeons are when they are on steroids at doing math.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom