NWI INGO General Post Part 19 - LegOs, Glocks and iPhones!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    No use for county plows to be out right now. Wear out equipment and drivers while the wind blows it right back on the road behind them. Dad owned his own service station and nights like this through the 50's through the beginning 80's he would be out all night with the wrecker. He got to spend almost 20 winters in Florida which is what he told me one night like tonight as we were pulling cars out of ditches or drying out distributor caps to get cars started, "when I retire I am going to Florida and out of this cold".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It would be totally safe to let the drivers just keep going until they pass out or run someone over.

Maybe a supervisor somewhere could have looked at the forecast and figured out they might need trucks overnight.

I have bosses that do the same thing.
    Work everyone a double to fix something, but when it isn't finished, everyone is at their 16 hour limit, and leaves.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    No use for county plows to be out right now. Wear out equipment and drivers while the wind blows it right back on the road behind them
    The roads still need to be passable for emergency vehicles and not everyone works a day job. There are people who can't just stay home because it snows.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Some perspective, weather wise, from the Chicago Tribune:

What happened to our mild winter? February. Now it’s one for the record books.

This month isn't just a return to a "normal" winter, it is historically one of the worst since records have been kept. I have had right at 24 inches of snow fall at my home. I feel bad for those who regularly have to work outside.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    In my recollection, late January through February is usually the worst winter weather around here. Snow and frigid weather throughout and changing to cold and freezing rain from late February through March. We've had some bad ice storms in late Feb and March. Along with the occasional March blizzard...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Who wants to chip in on a dump truck and bobcat? Take everybodys snow directly to Jedis
    Just bring a trailer over, I've got the bobcat

But blowing it into the neighbors yard is more fun than hauling and dumping.

4873D7A5-0FC8-4334-BBDA-DC06158444E0.jpg

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    Valparaiso and Duneland school districts are full-on closed, buildings and all. Of course, the kids still get to to do e-learning. I’m glad I wasn’t a student with all of this fancy at-home learning technology; it’d have been a real drag on snow days like this!

I managed to shovel my sidewalk of what was easily 3”-4” of snow, start up my car, get showered, and get dressed until I got a text from my boss saying don’t come in to work on account of the weather. :facepalm:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My neighbor across the cul de sac is out snowblowing everyone's driveways again. We easily got 7-8" last night. I have a nice big snowblower that I haven't used in about three years because it's too big for me to handle now (and we haven't had any snow). I gassed it up and got it started yesterday. I offered to let him use it, but he said no, he was good. I baked him a blackberry cobbler a couple of weeks ago, but it's time for me to up my game.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    it's groundhog day 2 out there this morning... If I had finished up my trailer I probably would be in the southern Arizona desert right now...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom