NWI INGO General Post Part 18 - Legal now!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Sheepdog Armory is in CP and does $20 transfers. Good dude who used to work at South County and left to start his own shop.
    If I remember he used to also work at Gander Mountain in Merrillville. Went by Sheepdog Armory a couple of weeks ago and had a sign on the door closed due to low inventory.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I got it handled but sheepdog and scg close so early it’s nearly impossible to get there except saturdays and even then I ran into “closed due to low inventory” on the door too recently.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    In-laws SD guys trip Day 1 was a success. Lots of walleye hit the dinner plates. FIL probably caught the most out of our boat.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    darkkevin and everyone- RE: Ed Robinson, FFL in Cedar Lake.

Ed is retired and available to do transfers by appointment, no problems. He does mine for $20, I think he would do them for anyone for that fee but I've never asked him if that is his regular fee. Ed is registered with Gunbroker, too.

Not trying to undercut anyone else, I just was responding to posts about where to go to get transfers. I know other places that charge more for transfers but I think $20 is fair. Before I connected with Ed I had a pawnshop FFL who did them for me for $20 but his regular fee was $30, I was getting the good customer rate.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I got 2 here in laporte that do it for 20. Usually go to Maple City Sports, but if I buy something that may need bluing or sand blasting then I go to Shoot To Thrill Customs.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I want to remind everyone that the way things are now anything can happen, anywhere, anytime. We need to stay aware and in control all the time, especially those of us who carry.

I failed to stay under control a week ago and the consequences could have been terrible. For my retirement job I work the counter at a liquor store. (It's a great job, we sell a lot of top shelf booze and part of the job is to sample with customers who buy the good stuff and help the owner make barrel picks to buy for the store.) But I let a rude and verbally abusive customer who apparently didn't expect any pushback from an old white guy provoke me. I lost my temper and responded, loudly, in kind but without the racial language the jerk was using. Fortunately the owner (and my good friend) heard me teeing off on the jerk and ran up to the front. He's never seen me lose my temper before, it ain't pretty. He tried to calm me down and de-escalate the situation. I got control of myself and backed away two steps behind a counter display where the jerk and his buddy couldn't see me but where I had my friend's back if they came over or around the counter. Despite the owner's efforts to calm them they were escalating, making all kinds of threats of coming back with a posse, protesting, etc., and you can just imagine what they were saying about me. I took the retention strap off the hammer of my revolver and put my hand on the grip to be ready. I'm not sure the customers even knew I was carrying, I open carry but I carry on my right hip and was standing on an elevated platform behind the counter. In any case at this point I was behind the display so they couldn't see what I was doing. Finally he got them out of the store. I don't remember seeing the jerk or his companion before but the owner recognized the him. He drives a delivery truck for a furniture store and has stopped in before on his way back from making a delivery.

It's been a long, long time since I had that much adrenalin flowing. It's not a pleasant experience.

About 45 minutes later they tried to gaslight us, someone speaking with the same dialect called and asked how late we were open, where we were located and then, ominously, displayed a total unfamiliarity with local highways and roads. Caller id had a Chicago phone number. The jerk also made his purchase using Apple Pay so we can id him if it becomes necessary. I called the police and made a report.

No problems since, thank God. But we've made some changes to how we operate and put in an upgraded camera system.

This thing could have gone sideways in a hurry and I'm pretty disappointed in myself for losing my temper. I CCd for many, many years, open carry all the time now and I've had to tolerate verbal abuse a number of times while concealed carrying because I know better than to escalate a situation. If I had been required to use my weapon to defend myself or the owner the consequences would have been terrible for me, for the owner, for my whole town. (Not good for the bad guys, either.)

So don't make the mistake I made. I'm pretty sure after this stupid move I will have a disciplined response to provocation going forward.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom