1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That sucks

I could transfer to Elkhart if it happens and if they still have upgraded students there. Otherwise the South Shore would be my next go to. Making an appt to get my cdl b permit and hopefully get the company to pay for it before they decide to cut another job here at burns harbor.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So apparently when the worst of the storms hit we were outside in covered porch watching it roll by. The Weather Alert radio was squawking warnings in the kitchen. Looks like the brunt of the storm crossed over the ILL/IN state line at Beecher.

1775 ... Get your Class B, drivers are a high demand job. CDL requirements give you some job security.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I could transfer to Elkhart if it happens and if they still have upgraded students there. Otherwise the South Shore would be my next go to. Making an appt to get my cdl b permit and hopefully get the company to pay for it before they decide to cut another job here at burns harbor.
    Good luck with getting your CDL class B. I have had my CDL class A since December 1991 and there is always work for drivers out there. Hope you don't get laid off.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Either the BMV site was down when I went on last night or they are booked till the end of the year. Will try again later today to get an appt to start the process. I would assume they will let this schedule run its course for a few months and reevaluate. Hopefully the economy picks up by that time and we see more freight coming from the port.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Lots of tornado sirens last night in Merrillville. Nasty weather too. Today doesn't seem to be looking much better yet. Y'all stay safe.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    And we are now down to 7 guys in our department. Which now puts me in position to be furloughed next.

OUCH! :wallbash: So sorry to hear that.

My 40 yr. old SIL, has a great tech job with benefits that are unreal.
    He just found out 2 weeks ago that 20% of the workforce (Nashville, TN) is being laid off July 1st.
    The project his team was working on didn't make the list, apparently.

He has an interview today, but there is no way it will be the level of what he's had with so many others looking.
    It is through networking through people he knows (which most jobs are statistically), which a a step-up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Power is out here at my office in Oxbow Landing in Hammond. Has been for about 45 minutes. The rain has stopped and clouds are breaking up.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I really feel for you folks that are dealing with furloughs and or losing your job. Back around 1982 I lost my job. I was unemployed for 11 months. Our 2 sons were home at the time. There were no jobs to be found. I believe the unemployment rate at that time was the worst since the great depression. Around the 11 month point I was really starting to freak out. My Indiana unemployment was going to be completely tapped out in another month. My parents stepped up and fronted me some cash to get by. Then miraculously I found a job. To this day, my wife and I just shake our heads on how we made it through it all.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    It's windy. The trees on the N side of the house are dancing. The wind is hitting on the S side. Thankfully no rain. Maker's in my glass after a guy's golf trip in Nashville.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My mag pouch finally came in.
    1st order was canceled. I guess their quantity available was incorrect.
    So I reordered it in a different color.

The inconvenience of waiting a couple more days.
    I have become spoiled.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom