• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This could be posted in the Military BS stories instead of here in the Motorcycle Safety Thread.

He landed square on his butt and slid for a great distance, until he got down to about 10 or 15 MPH, then he started tumbling until he stopped. Of course they were not wearing helmets, just biker boots, heavy jeans and leather vests.

When they got to the guy he was in pain. His head was unhurt. The seat of his jeans and most of the skin on his butt were gone.
    I wouldn't be surprised if most of his butt was gone too.

There are actually wear ratings for various materials, blue jeans are probably the worst.

Heavy leather will wear through in 6 seconds.
    Denim blue jeans wear through instantly upon the initiation of a skid, literally shred in less than 1/2 second.

Most good riding pants will have a 6 second wear rating and most of those have some sort of Kevlar, Covex or similar liner or threads woven into the outer fabric. Occasionally you see riding pants with no rating (5-11 brand offers those and I don't even know how/why they are riding pants), some budget pants are rated for about 4 seconds. To save $$ you can buy some pants without armor and, if you have 1 set of removable armor just move the armor pads to the pants you plan to use.

Honestly if you figure that you are likely to roll and tumble in addition to sliding, seems like 4 seconds might actually be pretty good?

We have stuff rated at 6+ seconds and some of our riding pants/jeans/cargos were under $100. That seems like pretty cheap protection from road rash (or worse).

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I was looking at some riding pants, I can't remember who made them but they were jeans with Kevlar, which I assume provides an exception to blue jeans being the worst. I believe they were armored too. But thanks for all the advice I'll have to look more into these things.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was looking at some riding pants, I can't remember who made them but they were jeans with Kevlar, which I assume provides an exception to blue jeans being the worst. I believe they were armored too. But thanks for all the advice I'll have to look more into these things.

The Kevlar weave gives the protection from abrasion so it eliminates the road rash. Problem with Kevlar is it breaks down in sunlight so it’s better to have Kevlar lining than Kevlar woven into the denim if you ride a lot in the sun. Otherwise just plan to replace them every 3 years.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Ran a load of brush and downed trees to the compost site, kid's soccer game, Dunes Apple Fest, Hooked On Art Festival, run to Valpo, move some dirt beating the rain...:faint:

In other news, Ball State is currently beating NC State on ESPN U. I will continue to pray. Lol

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Ran a load of brush and downed trees to the compost site, kid's soccer game, Dunes Apple Fest, Hooked On Art Festival, run to Valpo, move some dirt beating the rain...:faint:

In other news, Ball State is currently beating NC State on ESPN U. I will continue to pray. Lol
    I thought you were supposed to rest from work on the weekends.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I thought you were supposed to rest from work on the weekends.
    It may explain when I get sick (which is thankfully rare) why I crash so hard. If the 2-3" of rain falls, my lazy day will commence...maybe. It must be from being a farm kid...always something to do.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Also, the neighbors and us scored some extra free custard from Culver's at the end. They handed out free hearty samples then they didn't want to drag any extra back to the store. I can appreciate that.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Looks like decent storms coming over here in about 34/45 minutes. My grass seeds that haven't taken and the sprouts will love it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm getting impatient waiting on my stamp to get to Copper. Even though I've been waiting 9 months, these last 7-10 days are gonna be the death of me lol

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Thank god I got new tires on Monday. Driving to and from work over the gravel in our rail yard kills them, though I did get 33k miles off the OEM tires. The wet weather performance went to crap the last 3k miles

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Thank god I got new tires on Monday. Driving to and from work over the gravel in our rail yard kills them, though I did get 33k miles off the OEM tires. The wet weather performance went to crap the last 3k miles
    Holy cow, 33K! I got 85K on my OEM Pirelli on the F150 & 75K on the wife's Edge Bridgestones.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Holy cow, 33K! I got 85K on my OEM Pirelli on the F150 & 75K on the wife's Edge Bridgestones.

Its about a mile drive on gravel to get to the yard office. I think the OEM were Michelin's. Got Pirelli Strada's all season now. Ive never had issues with Pirelli and the $70 rebate is always nice. Also got the Discount Tire credit card and another $40 rebate. I laughed though when I saw the 30% apr on the card

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Its about a mile drive on gravel to get to the yard office. I think the OEM were Michelin's. Got Pirelli Strada's all season now. Ive never had issues with Pirelli and the $70 rebate is always nice. Also got the Discount Tire credit card and another $40 rebate. I laughed though when I saw the 30% apr on the card
    I've had very good luck with the Michelin. Odd. Also the Bridgeston Duellers.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Best OEM I ever had was in the 90's with my Ranger. Took it in at 100k miles and the guy asked me why I brought it in. I showed him the mileage and he about s**t himself. I made it to 115k in the fall. Declined rapidly.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've had very good luck with the Michelin. Odd. Also the Bridgeston Duellers.

I still had 4 to 5mm on the tread but the wet weather performance went downhill. A simple low speed turn and the car would start to slide. In think they were the eco Michelins. The Pirellis have a 70k tread rating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom