• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't think anything from Bell has a Snell rating, with the possible exception of their top of the line helmet. Last time I looked, which was about a month ago, I didn't see any of their main line helmets with Snell ratings. Understand that those little pot helmets that some HD riders wear, which have no actual protection, no padding, etc are DOT approved. So if those helmets have passed DOT approval you know that other helmets rated by DOT have little to no chance of protecting you. One of the impact protection tests the DOT does to pass helmets is fatal to humans, so there is that too!

Joe Rocket has some good basic stuff. Its mostly beginner gear with lower levels of protection but its a good place to start and its a huge advancement over not wearing anything. They keep costs down so you don't get fancy features but you typically still get Level 1 elbow and shoulder armor. Check your back pad, sometimes its just a pad, sometimes its impact armor. If its just a pad, you can upgrade it to armor (If you only have a 'pad' instead of 'armor' in the back of your jacket I think I may have an extra piece of back 'armor' laying around here somewhere I'd be happy to give to you) because they are inserted into a pocket and typically secured by velcro. As long as your back pad is not sewn into place and is in a pocket with a velcro closure then your pad is upgradeable. If you have armor, then you are already in great shape.

Armor is either Level 1 or Level 2. 2 takes more impact than 1. There are also foam pads, that have no rating. The deal with 'armor' is that it spreads an impact over a wide surface to minimize injury. Foam is just soft and squishy and makes you think you have some protection but does nothing. Some armor works at the molecular level and turns rigid upon impact, others is just really dense padding that absorbs impact. Either way, look for an impact rating.

It's a JR Atomic 5.0 jacket. It says spine armor but it just looks like a foamy pad. It just says CE approved shoulder and elbow armor, I don't see anything about the level though.

The arm pads have "S type A, EN-1621-1 written on them"

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It's a JR Atomic 5.0 jacket. It says spine armor but it just looks like a foamy pad. It just says CE approved shoulder and elbow armor, I don't see anything about the level though.

The arm pads have "S type A, EN-1621-1 written on them"

I had to look that jacket up to check the specs.

Externally accessible CE approved armor in shoulders and elbows
    Removable spine pad with pocket for optional armor
    So the shoulders and elbows would have CE Level 1 armor. That is good.

The back is just a foam pad, but it is in a pocket for optional armor. Foam pad is not good. Optional armor pocket is good.

I have an extra D3O CE Level 1 back armor pad. It's yours if you want it. I upgraded some of our back pads from foam to Level 1, and some from Level 1 to Level 2 and now I have 1 pieces of back armor left over. Its never had an impact.

Exactly like this one => https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-d3o-back-protector-insert

We will have to figure out a time/place to meet. I rarely get to Merrillville area. My normal schedule puts me in St John on Monday evenings. Normally I'm well south of there. If we can't figure out a time & place to meet I could drop the pad off at the NWI INGO Clubhouse (1101 Cigar Lounge on US30 about 1/2 mile west of 41) and you could pick it up at a different time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Cool thanks I'll take it. The cigar lounge is fine. There's a 66% chance I'm at work Monday evenings.

I'll get it to the cigar lounge one of these days and let you know when it is there. It will be in the back, just ask the clerk for the orange foam pad and they will retrieve it for you.

FWIW, I am no longer the owner of the cigar lounge but they tolerate me using it as a pick up/exchange point for stuff like this.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Assuming you want to wear gear, make sure you wear it all the time.

Cool thank you so much, and just like guns and fire extinguishers, I hope I never NEED it either. Lol

What is interesting is to read equipment reviews of riders who had an unexpected off while riding and wearing protective gear. Or even better are the various motorcycle forums where people post their stories after tumbling and skidding down the asphalt at 50mph or bouncing off a bridge beam. They got up and walked away, sometimes with a broken rib or a bunch of bruises, sometimes with no scratch at all, but they got up and walked away. One that I read had a female rider hit a bridge side and tumbled off the bridge hitting the river below, she wound up in the hospital but survived. Armor does that.

I could share photos and a story of a friend in Washington who lost his leg below the knee and swears if he had been wearing his riding boots and riding pants he'd still have his leg today.

And riding boots are not always big clunky boots, my wife's look like designer high top tennis shoes and are made out of pink suede leather. But they have armor up over the ankles to prevent bone crushes in a tip over, which is the most common ankle-lower leg injury. Mine look like a cross between police duty boots and tennis shoes, similarly have armor up the sides and they have stealth reflector material that glows when hit with a car headlamp.

For riding gloves get 2 pairs. A mesh pair for hot/humid summer days, a weather proof pair for cooler riding. Riding gloves with palm sliders that won't wear through are what you'd want to look for. KLIM, Dianese and Rev'it make very comfortable riding gloves.

Riding gear is not cheap. But if you pick well when you buy it will be comfortable, have lots of venting options, and will protect you. Even if you spend $1000 on a full suit its cheaper than 1 visit to the emergency room for a case of very uncomfortable road rash.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This could be posted in the Military BS stories instead of here in the Motorcycle Safety Thread.

My friend Scott from Oregon (back when Oregon was simply Liberal) told me this story.

He and his friends were all riding their Choppers in California (back when California was a beautiful place and not a third world ****hole State) on the freeway.

They were riding fast when they came upon a stretch where they had paved one lane. One of his friends hit the edge and was flipped off his bike.

He landed square on his butt and slid for a great distance, until he got down to about 10 or 15 MPH, then he started tumbling until he stopped. Of course they were not wearing helmets, just biker boots, heavy jeans and leather vests.

When they got to the guy he was in pain. His head was unhurt. The seat of his jeans and most of the skin on his butt were gone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom