• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    While I appreciate the suggestion, I dont have quite that much to drop on a rifle right now, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not sure what the current street price is or the used market. Consider that you are getting it sights and rail installed, may not be that much difference from buying a rifle that you need to add to. Express you can actually shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Not sure what the current street price is or the used market. Consider that you are getting it sights and rail installed, may not be that much difference from buying a rifle that you need to add to. Express you can actually shoot it.

Good point. I'm not sure if you saw that I mentioned I have a pretty decent coupon code for academy sports. The Scout is $899 there and code would take $315 off which is definitely making me consider it but looking at $250+ for decent glass might be getting a little above my price point.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Good point. I'm not sure if you saw that I mentioned I have a pretty decent coupon code for academy sports. The Scout is $899 there and code would take $315 off which is definitely making me consider it but looking at $250+ for decent glass might be getting a little above my price point.

There are some pretty strong arguments that you should spend about as much on the scope as you do on the base rifle. Most people go cheap on the scope. Most people end up upgrading their scopes if they are serious about shooting. Consequently the first scope, which is inferior, ends up being an expensive mistake.

Learning to shoot well with iron sights before you buy & mount a scope on your chosen gun is never a mistake.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Yes, I saw it. But the scope is not needed. Learn to use iron sights first then add a good scope down the road. There's not that mush magic about a scope, especially with shots within, say, 200 yards.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Good irons do along with knowledge and ability.

When I was younger, absolutely yes. I had never owned a scoped rifle until a couple years ago.

ETA [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
    Yes, I saw it. But the scope is not needed. Learn to use iron sights first then add a good scope down the road. There's not that mush magic about a scope, especially with shots within, say, 200 yards.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]A good rifle with a sling (not one of those bulky padded ones with a deer on it) should humanely kill any medium game animal out to 200 yards and farther depending on your eyes and skill. If your eyes and skill would not allow for that you may want to hunt alone.

Actually I was kind of hoping you would stick to your guns and buy the .270, so I could [STRIKE]palm off[/STRIKE] give you a great deal on the 200 rounds I have.[/FONT]

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Just a consideration on a rifle. Look into the Ruger Scout in .308. Comes with decent irons. Can mount a scope conventionally or forward. 10 Round DBM and you can buy additional DBMs in 3-10 round capacity to suit. It’s got swivels so you can add the essential shooting sling.

I’d recommend this strongly as s first Center Fire Rifle. Learn to shoot it without a scope, then add one when you can afford it (and have learned to shoot it well with irons).

I can also recommend a couple of good books to help you learn the principles of Rifle marksmanship.

The Mossberg MVP is another choice to look into. The one plus above the Ruger Scout is that it takes generic AR-10 magazines which are cheaper and can be higher capacity.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    True, but he capacity of the DBM's is a bit of a red herring don't you think. I cant speak to the MVP as I've never seen or held one first hand. I'm sure its fine and I was interested in it, but since I ready have a Steyr Scout and A Ruger Scout, well, ...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Of the three I really like the Mossberg. I do not have the problem of being gun poor, just poor.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Of the three I really like the Mossberg. I do not have the problem of being gun poor, just poor.

Too bad we no longer have the “meet & shoot” events. I’d be happy to meet up with a few guys at, say, Winamac to share and compare.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Thank you for this advice, guys. I think I will consider getting a rifle without a scope for now. That way, I'll be able to get a little nicer of a rifle. I do have 20/20 with my contacts in so I'm guessing that getting good with iron sights first, probably won't be a bad idea, eh?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Too bad we no longer have the “meet & shoot” events. I’d be happy to meet up with a few guys at, say, Winamac to share and compare.

Well, all it takes is for someone to organize one, and for people to show up.
    Since I can't drive because of vertigo, guns are probably a bad idea for me.
    But maybe others will show. I'd be willing to loan a couple rifles to someone for Yzer to try out.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, all it takes is for someone to organize one, and for people to show up.
    Since I can't drive because of vertigo, guns are probably a bad idea for me.
    But maybe others will show. I'd be willing to loan a couple rifles to someone for Yzer to try out.

that easy Not easy.

With the rules there are some that will not come at all.

We have not had more than one or two show up at different times for the last couple.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    that easy Not easy.

With the rules there are some that will not come at all.

We have not had more than one or two show up at different times for the last couple.

Frankly the “new rules” while a pitb aren’t that hard to work with. I took my grandson and his au pair shooting in July at Tri County with no problems.

I know some people don’t like the no holstered hand gun thing, but when I have a rifle I don’t feel disarmed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Frankly the “new rules” while a pitb aren’t that hard to work with. I took my grandson and his au pair shooting in July at Tri County with no problems.

I know some people don’t like the no holstered hand gun thing, but when I have a rifle I don’t feel disarmed.

But, you're not supposed to have the rifle when you go forward for targets. Thieves have stolen guns while the owner was unarmed and retrieving targets.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    But, you're not supposed to have the rifle when you go forward for targets. Thieves have stolen guns while the owner was unarmed and retrieving targets.

Well, that could happen I suppose, especiLly with all you ne’er do wells and gangsta wanna be’s in da region!

But even Winamac is a supervised range now, isn’t it?

And what’re you gonna do when you’re down range checking targets with your back to the firing line? Draw down from 25-100 yards away and commence firing?

So if you’re concerned and part of a group, take turns. And if you’re alone and some shady types show up, maybe leave.

But if it’s supervised is it really a concern? Dunno.

And, no. I don’t like the rules, but whatcha gonna do?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Jesus, I didn't know that was a thing.

Well, da region is full of wanna be thugs and gangstas. Spill over from Chicago. Just check with Jedi and his gang of masked bandits. (Raccoons)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom