Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    308 is a good round. There are some real good options on rifles as well. Ar platform or bolt action, the possibilities are pretty endless. I have 1 of each.
    Either way practice will dictate what distance of a shot you'll be comfortable with. Here in Indiana chances of taking a shot over 200 yards at a deer are not very high, at least up this way. 308 will do the job just fine.
    Depending on your budget there are some great bolt action options that will serve your purpose. Thompson Center Compass look real good on the low end. Can be had for under $300 if you find a sale. They guarantee sub moa at 100 yards with match grade ammo, and you do your part as well. Towards the higher end the Ruger precision seems to be a good rifle from reviews ive seen. Those can be had under 1k if tou catch a sale. Ive seen them as low as $850.
    I know you talked about a Remington 783 in a previous post. Thats what i have. Got mine used for $200 and swapped out the glass and am able to shoot about a 2 1/2" group at 200 yards with cheaper pmc bronze. I know i can tighten that group up with better ammo, but the results are plenty good enough to hit the vitals on a deer.
    Sales are coming up around the corner too. Then there's the whole "gun budget" I MEAN tax refund check.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    308 is a good round. There are some real good options on rifles as well. Ar platform or bolt action, the possibilities are pretty endless. I have 1 of each.
    Either way practice will dictate what distance of a shot you'll be comfortable with. Here in Indiana chances of taking a shot over 200 yards at a deer are not very high, at least up this way. 308 will do the job just fine.
    Depending on your budget there are some great bolt action options that will serve your purpose. Thompson Center Compass look real good on the low end. Can be had for under $300 if you find a sale. They guarantee sub moa at 100 yards with match grade ammo, and you do your part as well. Towards the higher end the Ruger precision seems to be a good rifle from reviews ive seen. Those can be had under 1k if tou catch a sale. Ive seen them as low as $850.
    I know you talked about a Remington 783 in a previous post. Thats what i have. Got mine used for $200 and swapped out the glass and am able to shoot about a 2 1/2" group at 200 yards with cheaper pmc bronze. I know i can tighten that group up with better ammo, but the results are plenty good enough to hit the vitals on a deer.
    I was definitely considering the Remington 783. I have a coupon code for academy sports that will knock about $180 off the price. As far as glass goes, it comes with a 3-9x40 Crossfire II which is actually one of the scopes I was considering. If I buy the rifle/scope combo, the discount would apply to the total. Would you recommend not getting the combo and maybe getting a better scope elsewhere?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Side arm, yes. Shotty, not yet.

I've been on the fence about getting shotgun or rifle next and have decided on a rifle after much deliberation. I do have a 10/22 for what that's worth.

When you do start zeroing in on one, throw it out there. One of us may have one you can try out, or have experienced. Plus, all of us get emails & flyers. Several heads are better than one.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I was definitely considering the Remington 783. I have a coupon code for academy sports that will knock about $180 off the price. As far as glass goes, it comes with a 3-9x40 Crossfire II which is actually one of the scopes I was considering. If I buy the rifle/scope combo, the discount would apply to the total. Would you recommend not getting the combo and maybe getting a better scope elsewhere?

Nothing trumps a good piece of glass.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    The object of having firearms is to get what you like and fits your hands. Horse trading firearms is another story. And you need to get a couple of boxes of holsters. :spend:

I agree! I actually just got an alien gear holster for my sidearm that I really like.
    Sales are coming up around the corner too. Then there's the whole "gun budget" I MEAN tax refund check.
    I actually have my taxes set up to where I keep my money and owe at tax season so technically.... I have that "gun budget" money right now

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    When you do start zeroing in on one, throw it out there. One of us may have one you can try out, or have experienced. Plus, all of us get emails & flyers. Several heads are better than one.
    I'm almost positive that I'm going to pick up this Remington 783 with the coupon code lol

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ah a SMART LAD who does not give the irs a tax free loan! right on!!!

now this thread needs more hello kitty, bad mouthing the rednecks, and smelly gunshow stories cause all this rifle talk is ssssooo borning. :p

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Right, so my question being; is the Crossfire II a good piece of glass or is that a little too "budget friendly"?

I have not set eyes on that. Possibly someone will chime in. For me, optics are like buying a mattress for someone else. Big 'eh. I like hands on.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Lol fair enough but I do appreciate all the advice, everyone!

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you rednecks/thugs in the future.

d.kaufman, I would definitely like to take you up on that offer on a tour of Izaak Walton!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Right, so my question being; is the Crossfire II a good piece of glass or is that a little too "budget friendly"?

Vortex makes good glass. 3-9x40 is going to be a standard magnification on the rifle/scope packages. I actually run the crossfire 2 on my ar10 but in 6-18×44 variation. Love it for what i use it for, especially with the eyes getting older.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    For jedi.
    [video=youtube;jWO2VRckVU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWO2VRckVU4[/video]

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Glass is not where you skimp out on. Crossfires are nice in low recoil firearms like a 22 or a 223. Step it up for the 308. At least go with a Primary Arms. Glass is better than the low end Vortex scopes.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Glass is not where you skimp out on. Crossfires are nice in low recoil firearms like a 22 or a 223. Step it up for the 308. At least go with a Primary Arms. Glass is better than the low end Vortex scopes.
    Especially if you are relying one shot and optics to feed yourself or get a trophy. Consider: How many scopes will you buy in 10 years?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Lol fair enough but I do appreciate all the advice, everyone!

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you rednecks/thugs in the future.

d.kaufman, I would definitely like to take you up on that offer on a tour of Izaak Walton!

I could meet ya there a week from Saturday if you want. I have a prior engagement this Saturday.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Let me know if you'd rather get this coming Wednesday at 5pm. I can do a tour and you "must" shoot a box of 25 on my treat with my shotty. I am not stepping on d.'s toes and he knows this and appreciates this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom