Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC
    Remains identified as Marine from Dyer who died in WWII battle

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency says Pfc. Leonard A. Tyma's remains were identified using dental, anthropological and chest radiograph comparison analysis and other evidence.

The 21-year-old Dyer man died on Nov. 20, 1943, during the first waves of the U.S. 2nd Marine Division's assault on the small island of Betio in the Tarawa Atoll of the Gilbert Islands.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC
    Remains identified as Marine from Dyer who died in WWII battle

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency says Pfc. Leonard A. Tyma's remains were identified using dental, anthropological and chest radiograph comparison analysis and other evidence.

The 21-year-old Dyer man died on Nov. 20, 1943, during the first waves of the U.S. 2nd Marine Division's assault on the small island of Betio in the Tarawa Atoll of the Gilbert Islands.
    Glad to hear he's coming home. I hope the Patriot Guard will be there.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some better news.

U.S. Steel proposes $19,000 in bonuses and 4 percent raise, followed by five annual 2 percent raises http://www.nwitimes.com/business/lake-newsletter/article_8b7c5051-a1a1-561f-abc3-31db87b95a55.html

Not a fan of this.
    “New hires would make 80 percent as much as current workers, with a 5 percent increase in pay for every 1,040 hours worked, creating a two-tier pay scale that would reduce the company's labor costs.”

I'm against the 2 tier.
    And the pay was only a small part.
    And it's not a raise, if they double my health costs across the boards.
    And, what about removing our representation on the Board? The whopping 2 members.
    There's probably 15 other points. But the news always concentrates on a percentage raise, and a bonus.

A rated tech working alongside me next to molten metal should not make less.

And the "guaranteed" profit sharing?
    Based on our present profit sharing, we were already going to get it. US Steel by their own calculations will make 2 billion this year.
    And is looking at 3 billion next year.
    They've been so generous with the profit sharing, that we found out they "fudged" the books and we had to hire a Washington DC lawyer to go after them.
    Also, unless they've changed it, they were talking a 2 tier pay plan based on how the company is doing.
    Except they get to set the benchmarks, and change the benchmarks when they choose.
    So, if they say they'll pay $$ after a certain profit, and they hit it, they just change the benchmark.

The article addresses about 5 percent of what I'm concerned with.
    Nothing about safety mentioned in addition to them not mentioning that they want to offer the bonuses to counteract a BIG change in medical.

Another change they want to make 2 tier, Accident Pay. Change how many years you have to have to get it, and change how much you get.

Medical stuff is kind of important for us, since we seem to suffer more problems on the job, or later in life.

Funny side though..
    Did you see the blue sign on the pick about Nickelback?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Dang it!
    I wasn't going to strike talk or contract talk here.
    Lone... you got me.
    LOL, I was not trying to get you started. I just posted that because I feel that it is a STEP in the right direction versus striking because we all know no one wins when that happens.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LOL, I was not trying to get you started. I just posted that because I feel that it is a STEP in the right direction versus striking because we all know no one wins when that happens.

It is a step.
    That's why we aren't on strike... yet.
    They had thrown their proposal on the table, then walked a way.
    There was ZERO negotiation.

There hasn't been a strike in over 40 years.
    The last thing was a "lockout", where the mill itself locked the workers out.
    After they were forced to pay unemployment to the State, I doubt they'll do that again.
    And the workers don't really want to strike.
    But the offer was so bad, that 100 percent of the people voted to strike.
    If I read that, I'd never believe you could get 100 percent on ANY vote.
    But I witnessed one of the votes at my local. There were ZERO dissenters.

The "bonuses" they were to pay, would have evaporated in 2 of the years in a 6 year contract.

Oh, I also forgot, another negotiation thing was Overtime.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom